Rottweiller

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
Ok, our friend Is getting divorced and wants a Rott but can't afford it, so we're (4 of us) starting a fund to give her on her next birthday in August 2013. Can anyone give me the ballpark for a reputable bred, not champion, but healthy Rott? $1800, $2400, etc?? Google is allll over the map on this...

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Have you checked for any local breeders to see what their prices are? I have no idea though.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    um, check a shelter first! adopting is the way to go - do a good thing, save a ton of money.

Also, I have to say, if they can't afford to buy a dog *I don't believe in buying animals anyways* but can they afford to TAKE CARE OF THE PET?!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    have you thought about rescuing a pup?
    (im not one of those crazy dog people that will burn you at the stake for paying for a dog when there are so many that need homes) ... BUT... your friend really should reconsider buying vs adopting.
    especially with "bully breeds" --
    there are a lot of pet adoptions that specialize in breeds, so she can still get a Rott... just one that NEEDS a home.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be a bit of a B here, but: http://www.wirottrescue.org/wrr_frameset/index3.htm.

To answer your question, I have friends who bought in FL from a reputable breeder and paid $1,000.
  • _Refried_
    Options
    I will paypal ya 15.00 cuz your my favorite!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    we got our pit from a breeder on Craigslist. i don't see why you should have to pay unreasonable amounts of money for one, just check out the pups and the parents if possible to see how their temperment is...paying more is not going to give u a better deal and a lot of the breeders u find overbreed or the dogs will be inbred with more problems
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't shop, adopt!!

There are so many dogs in need of a home :(

Adopt a rotty or a rotty mix, save a life!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Adopt a rotty or a rotty mix, save a life!

Adopt from a no-kill shelter and save TWO lives :bigsmile: The pup who you bring home, and the one who gets the spot after.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    She wants a pure bred which is her choice, but she's fine with a rescue if it's a puppy. She has three adopted dogs the hubs is taking with him. But this is her dream;) and yea, her homeowners insurance covers a Rott;)

I LOVE Rotts. My mutt was adopted as a Rott mix;) she's 40lbs and Sheltie we think!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you can't afford the dog itself, it's not a great idea to own a dog period. Second, ADOPT. Dogs are put down daily due to people who 'buy' dogs.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My brother bought his about 8 years ago for $250. That was a deal, guy was normally charging $400-600. Price goes up if they are papered and champ bloodline.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Check all the shelters first. I found my Rotty sitting patiently in the dog pound, about to be put down, like she'd been waiting just for me her whole sad little life.

Rescues are the best. dogs. ever. Just sayin.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but if she can't afford the dog how will she afford to keep it?
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That sounds to be very kind of all of you but if they can't afford the initial expense, how will they care for the pup? What happens if a severe injury occurs.

We bought a puppy, paid a fortune, and within three months, seen the vet three times (two for having a sensitive stomach, and once because a friend watching the dog didn't notice when he got into some chocolate). Probably those three visits could've cost over $1000.

I agree with the shelters also, after buying my puppy, I would go shelter next because there are so many puppies that can be rescued.

Oh, and we were told our pup was a purebred.. he isn't. Get papers.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    2400 is not the same as monthly upkeep of a dog, sorry;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but if she can't afford the dog how will she afford to keep it?
    No way in hell I could afford to spend $1,000 to buy an animal, but I have fed and vetted all four of my pets just fine for years.
  • nelsonsrotties
    nelsonsrotties Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The rottie rescue is an awesome place to start. Good luck.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Perhaps, but there are a lot of expenses and not all of them can be anticipated. Serious injuries or diseases can run up $1000s.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Ok, I get the skepticism, but I ask you to trust me that she can afford the dog, the initial costs, neuter, etc;) She could put the dog on a credit card but isn't that dumb. If the dog got an injury? She would of course charge it's vet bill to save its life. Not to me macabre, but it's a question from someone wanting to know what we should budget for a gift. Nothing else
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Perhaps, but there are a lot of expenses and not all of them can be anticipated. Serious injuries or diseases can run up $1000s.

She has three dogs. Well aware are we of the potential costs. Honest.