Rottweiller

Options

Replies

• eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "we got our pit from a breeder on Craigslist. i don't see why you should have to pay unreasonable amounts of money for one, just check out the pups and the parents if possible to see how their temperment is...paying more is not going to give u a better deal and a lot of the breeders u find overbreed or the dogs will be inbred with more problems" --> Just to be fair...reputable breeders are the ones breeding OUT aggression, debilitating diseases, etc. It's the breeders on Craigslist that are breeding inbred pups and lines that have not proven to be at least mostly free of disease. There is a reason why reputable breeders don't start breeding their dogs before they are at least 2 years old...so they don't breed animals with known problems. But I do agree, the prices are astronomical! Maybe if they weren't so high, people could actually afford to buy from a reputable breeder, so I totally get what you're saying.

Regarding this question - I second what others are saying: a) how will she take care of the dog if she can't buy one b) think adoption! c) please, please, please have your friend get pet insurance.

I am sure your friend will make a great mom to her fur-baby, no matter where she finds him/her! Good luck!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the skepticism, but I ask you to trust me that she can afford the dog, the initial costs, neuter, etc;) She could put the dog on a credit card but isn't that dumb. If the dog got an injury? She would of course charge it's vet bill to save its life. Not to me macabre, but it's a question from someone wanting to know what we should budget for a gift. Nothing else
    If you want to buy her a present, buy her a microwave, not a dog.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And on a side note, I ABSOLUTELY appreciate everyone's caring concern for the on-going care of this dog in question. It just speaks to your awesomeness and how much you care.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Ok, I get the skepticism, but I ask you to trust me that she can afford the dog, the initial costs, neuter, etc;) She could put the dog on a credit card but isn't that dumb. If the dog got an injury? She would of course charge it's vet bill to save its life. Not to me macabre, but it's a question from someone wanting to know what we should budget for a gift. Nothing else
    If you want to buy her a present, buy her a microwave, not a dog.

We're not buying her a dog, we're starting a fund for her.
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Pet insurance...20-or so bucks a month. I am a veterinarian and I see a lot of people who love their pets and want to help them...and many times, they can afford to do so because they invested in health insurance for their pet.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had my heart set on an ocicat, but the more I thought about it, $700 for a cat seemed pretty extravagant, especially with so many mixed-breed cats and dogs in shelters. Found a wonderful tabby who kind of chose us at the shelter, and couldn't be happier that she is our cat.

Sometimes shelters have purebred dogs for adoption, so she may choose a Rottweiler, or maybe some other dog will capture her heart when she goes to pick one out, but shelter dogs are practically free, so your gift could go further toward supplies for the dog.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have no idea the cost, and I'm big on rescue and adoption, BUT... If I were going to get a dog from a breeder, I'd look for one that shows the dogs, has them registered with AKC, has the parents tested for congenital defects like hips, eyes and any other breed specific problems, and has a laundry list of requirements for new owners.

If I buy a dog, I want to be sure they breeders are making an effort to better the breed, and aren't just looking to make a buck of their poochies.

Good breeders are usually involved in rescue, too. My Peke is a rescue, but the president of the rescue group, and his foster mom, is a breeder who shows dogs, too.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Pet insurance...20-or so bucks a month. I am a veterinarian and I see a lot of people who love their pets and want to help them...and many times, they can afford to do so because they invested in health insurance for their pet.

Can you recommend an insurance company? For ME. For my 10 year old mutt? Is it too late?? I think we're at the point she will inevitably have health problems.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    um, check a shelter first! adopting is the way to go - do a good thing, save a ton of money.

Also, I have to say, if they can't afford to buy a dog *I don't believe in buying animals anyways* but can they afford to TAKE CARE OF THE PET?!

Couldn't have said it better. Check the nearest rottweiller rescue group. I have two standard poodles that are from my local poodle rescue, and they are a dream. Rescues are usually full grown and you don't have to deal with puppy issues either.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Can you recommend an insurance company? For ME. For my 10 year old mutt? Is it too late?? I think we're at the point she will inevitably have health problems.

www.gopetplan.com. I have all five of my pets insured, and they have absolutely terrific customer service. Check their website for free quotes.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Check all the shelters first. I found my Rotty sitting patiently in the dog pound, about to be put down, like she'd been waiting just for me her whole sad little life.

Rescues are the best. dogs. ever. Just sayin.

They are! If you go through a rescue, they're already living with a foster family and they know the temperament of the dog. You save a life so they can save another! I also agree with the person who said if they can't afford to get the dog in the first place, how will they afford to take care of him or her?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I have no idea the cost, and I'm big on rescue and adoption, BUT... If I were going to get a dog from a breeder, I'd look for one that shows the dogs, has them registered with AKC, has the parents tested for congenital defects like hips, eyes and any other breed specific problems, and has a laundry list of requirements for new owners.

If I buy a dog, I want to be sure they breeders are making an effort to better the breed, and aren't just looking to make a buck of their poochies.

Good breeders are usually involved in rescue, too. My Peke is a rescue, but the president of the rescue group, and his foster mom, is a breeder who shows dogs, too.

I :heart: you
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I got my 100% AKC registered Rottweiler from a rescue for free because she had been abused so much she had scars and nobody else wanted her.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    um, check a shelter first! adopting is the way to go - do a good thing, save a ton of money.

Also, I have to say, if they can't afford to buy a dog *I don't believe in buying animals anyways* but can they afford to TAKE CARE OF THE PET?!

This. every Rottweiler I have ever owned has been a rescue and they are wonderful sweet dogs. I also agree if they cannot afford to buy the dog are they able to take care of it? Dogs can be expensive.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I just bought a purebred male for $800.00 from champion/OFA Certified lines too.

Make sure you check references from the breeder and inspect the premises. This lady's set up i bought from was immaculate! She had 15 rots in this barn and i didn;t ssmell even dog odor let alone any poop, etc. The puppies were extremely clean too.

I do know they go as high as $1,800.00, but you don't have to spend that much.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    She has explained more than once that the person will be able to take care of the dog. Just stop, ok? Maybe her budget allows enough for the care of a dog but not an ADDITIONAL $1000 to buy it. For heaven's sake.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't get one from a shelter, she is a horrible person who hates animals and kicks babies for fun.

Who wants a puppy, anyway? All they do is breath crap-breath all over you, eat your house, and poo everywhere. Why not a nice, younger adult who would really appreciate your friend literally saving them from being killed by some college dropout in a lab coat?

THINK OF OF THE POOR ANIMALS!
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I would try Petfinder.com and Rottie rescue groups. There are so many great dogs out there that need homes. Just be sure that your friend can afford the cost of a large dog. Food and vet care can get costly especially with large dogs.
  • Sarahsbattle
    Sarahsbattle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please listen to everyone who is suggesting a rescue! Our area humane society often has purebred Rottweilers that people have surrendered for financial reasons, "too much energy," etc. Additionally, why is there such a need for a purebred? We had one that someone gave us, and he had all kinds of health problems associated with his "pure" breed. The mixed breed rescue that we rescued after our purebred passed away is super healthy and so much fun.

It seems like you don't like to hear it, but I think others are right. If your friend doesn't have the money to buy a purebred, why get one? How is it that much more comforting to have a purebred than an animal who might have been put down if someone hadn't rescued it. If you don't want to read comments like this from others, then you might want to just ask how much a Rotti is from a breeder, instead of saying someone can't afford to buy one.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    get one from the humane society