Bored without Alcohol?

Options
Anyone else ever get bored when dieting, getting in shape and not drinking alcohol to unwind or not going out for a drink? ..Not drinking to relax after work or a glass of wine before bed? I used to drink most evenings ..anyone else?

Replies

• _granola
    Options
    I still drink.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Scotch is still in play
  • shan1204
    Options
    Take up a hobby.
  • JamieAbnowski
    JamieAbnowski Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work a glass or two of wine or a few brewskis in whenever I feel like it. If you consider this a "diet" and feel deprived, I doubt that you will want to continue this lifestyle change for the long run. There is no reason to be miserable on your path to a healthier lifestyle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    It's Happy Hour. I tried to stop. It didn't happen. Cutting down works.
  • davidjohnb17
    davidjohnb17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm 20 so I spend most weekends necking booze and it's gonna be the hardest thing for me to give up. But I know I need to undo all the damage i've caused my body through alcohol as I daresay it's a big if not the biggest factor in my weight gain this year. But yes I do sorely miss it. Beer, red wine, V&C, sambuca shots, going out and having a few too many, going to the dingiest club in town 'cus the drinks are cheap and leaving with toilet paper stuck to your shoe 'cus the cleaners haven't been since 1987. Gonna be a tough few months giving it up.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need alcohol to be entertained. I quit drinking 100% back in March... I still go out to *drink* but I drink lemonades at the bar or bottled water. I get strange looks on occasion though. :wink:
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm the type one drink pretty much turns into 10!
  • bambam05
    Options
    While it adds on a little belly fat, it has it's benefits. I still drink most nights and take a few days break, every 3 to 4 days. Just want to make sure my liver recovers and dependency is not setting in. Well that's my story.....
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    It gets easier. I quit a month ago to jump start the fitness regimen.

Find something else to do...walk, exercise, read...anything. I find myself spending time in the grocery store 3-4 days a week trying to find things that are good for my new goals. I might spend $10-20 but it's far cheaper than nightly $20-40 bar tabs.
  • xxempress
    Options
    Efff that I still get piss drunk, but not as often! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Day after = caloric disaster.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, to me, booze isn't something to 'make me have fun' or entertain me, but on the rare occasions i drink, it's to *share* in an occasion that is already fun, like a celebration, and it would be just as fun to me without the drink. I think it might be worthwhile to look at what other things in your life can be 'fun' without the alcohol. Good luck--there is a lot out there.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm going with what most people said: you can still drink. Just make it one glass of wine a week instead of every night, or a beer or two during the weekend.

Craft beer and wine DO have health benefits, afterall ;)
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    God, yes. Lately, I've been feeling the urge to drink for days straight. As long as I can work it into my calorie goal (which isn't smart since a 1,000 calories worth is going towards booze), I find it hard to care.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    No, never have had to have alcohol to have fun.
  • Cassiecampos
    Options
    use crystal light instead of juice and mix yourself a cocktail......
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Efff that I still get piss drunk, but not as often! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Day after = caloric disaster.

This is my problem when I am hungover its carbs and grease like pizza, poutine, and frozen egg rolls and other junk.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I agree I still do all the same things dinner out parties etc dont have to worry driving home and some of the physical results better felt and enjoyed if you get my drift I have drank on 3 occassions since May 2008 when I changed my lifestyle I chose to drink didnt find it enhanced the time I was having last time we were in Aruba out to dinner 2 big glasses of wine not only was I tipsy on 2 glassses ( I used to drink a pint of gin a day) but I felt like cr;p when I went to run on the beach next morning
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

This is my problem when I am hungover its carbs and grease like pizza, poutine, and frozen egg rolls and other junk.

wheres the junk there? Fit it in to your macros and your good to go
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh - yes, I enjoy my beverages - and I have limited it to weekends only. But I miss having a glass a wine in the evening or a beer out on the patio - and I hear you - it's all about unwinding. I know I need to step it up and go "dry" for a while and I keep saying I am going to do it when summer's over and there are not as many parties and what do you know, it was Labor Day. And there's a party this weekend - darn it all.