Bored without Alcohol?

Options

Replies

• bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Happy hour after work tomorrow. I have already planned ahead with what I am drinking and the calories.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I quit a month ago to jump start the fitness regimen.

Find something else to do...walk, exercise, read...anything. I find myself spending time in the grocery store 3-4 days a week trying to find things that are good for my new goals. I might spend $10-20 but it's far cheaper than nightly $20-40 bar tabs.

i thought i was weird because my new favorite place is looking at meat and produce
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ha, this is a good topic. I rarely drink during the week and was drining on the weekend beer, a mixed drink, or wine. About two weeks ago I decided to cut that back for about a month. All of my friends were like "why?" what is wrong with you?" are you depressed?" "are you sick"? I thought it was freaking hilarious. I am like NO I am just taking it easy for a bit. Its actually nice to wake up on a saturday morning with a clear head...just funny when other people question why I want to stop drinking for a bit...interesting...

If you are really missing drinking then you might want to re examine yourself..just saying.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I quit a month ago to jump start the fitness regimen.

Find something else to do...walk, exercise, read...anything. I find myself spending time in the grocery store 3-4 days a week trying to find things that are good for my new goals. I might spend $10-20 but it's far cheaper than nightly $20-40 bar tabs.

i thought i was weird because my new favorite place is looking at meat and produce

Lol! I grocery shop when I'm bored, but don't feel like actually doing anything. Then I filled up the fridge and freezer so bad my roommate had no room... so I went a month buying only fresh fruits/veggies/eggs to make things with the food I already had. I was pretty shocked that I had such a supply....
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Two words: bour bon.

Empty calories... yes, but cheaper than a therapist ;-)

If I wanted to have a drink, I just count the calories - simple.
  • Calliesmom1
    Options
    Im drunk as hell every weekedend as i lose weight. Beer + me=happy especially when there is 16 of them.
  • MrsThorsen
    MrsThorsen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out alcohol from my weight-loss diet, but I DID cut it out when I was pregnant. I couldn't go to bars and not order drinks, so I stayed home and played video games. It served the same purpose, I was able to relax and unwind. I played all types of games, and joined some forums where I could compete against others live online so it was even a little bit social. Lots of Guitar Hero, super mario, etc.
  • jessicamott
    jessicamott Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cut alcohol out of my weekly routine as well. Maybe a glass of wine or two every couple weeks, but I see no harm in that...hmmm...without drinking I have went to the movies more often, out to dinner with friends, found different things to attend that I wouldn't have (I'm going to snowmobile swap this weekend!...weird). What I have found without drinking so much is I DON'T HAVE TO COUNT THOSE CALORIES AT ALL, my face looks better, and I look younger! Yay!
  • bpriest1964
    Options
    you should check out the "skinny girl" brand of alchol. vodka half the calories. ;-)
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yeah........I tried to stop, not happening.

So now, instead of guzzling down lots of whiskey, I switched to red wine. Still fun, not as tasty........but a lot better for you.
  • Chuckempire
    Options
    Any clear alcohol should be ok.. but keep in mind and alcohol will me metabolized first, and set aside any fat burning.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    alcohol prohibits muscle growth too because it dehydrates your muscles...
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 years old and I've been Sober my entire life. I don't believe in doing drugs.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! THIS IS MY EVERYDAY STRUGGLE. I HAVE A VERY STRESSFUL JOB AND SOMETIMES "NEED" THE DRINK TO TAKE THE EDGE OFF. I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH THE DRINKING CAUSE THIS IS A BIG CAUSE OF MY WEIGHT GAIN. I LOVE TO HAVE A BEVERAGE HERE AND THERE GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE STRUGGLING WITH THIS. I HAVE DEFINITELY CUT DOWN DURING THE WEEK BUT I NEED A DRINK OR TWO ON THE WEEKENDS.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    When I am in the States, I don't drink often because the beer is absolutely awful here. However, for those occassion when I do imbibe, I make sure I get a good quality German or Czech beer, the cloudier the better. Flussiges Brot! Liquid bread! Not quite empty calories LOL I just make sure I keep it to 1 liter or less. That's about 400 calories, give or take. Well worth it for the moments of relaxation and good conversation that usually come along with it.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ah, I miss my wine. I think I'd be an alcoholic if I weren't careful. Hell, I'm addicted to food, I used to be addicted to nicotine, why not add alcohol to the mix?

I gave up drinking about 95% of the time when I had lap band surgery just over 3 months ago. It has nothing to do with the band, it's about maximizing my weight loss time and not consuming empty calories. I had a bit of wine when I was on vacation in August (maybe a total of 3 bottles over a three-week period) and tonight I went to a work thing and had two pints of beer.

I know that small quantities of alcohol have beneficial health benefits (9 drinks per week for women, 14 per week for men), but I'm just not that kind of drinker. I like the buzz, so when I drink I tend to have 2 or 3, maybe even 4, in one sitting. Then I go weeks or months with nothing. That's what works for me. Also, as I get older, the hangovers get worse, making it easier to be only an "occasional" drinker.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When I am in the States, I don't drink often because the beer is absolutely awful here. However, for those occassion when I do imbibe, I make sure I get a good quality German or Czech beer, the cloudier the better. Flussiges Brot! Liquid bread! Not quite empty calories LOL I just make sure I keep it to 1 liter or less. That's about 400 calories, give or take. Well worth it for the moments of relaxation and good conversation that usually come along with it.

There are plenty of perfectly decent microbrews in the States...I hope you're not wasting your calories on Coors Light or the like!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

There are plenty of perfectly decent microbrews in the States...I hope you're not wasting your calories on Coors Light or the like!

Oh heavens no! Coors? Is that really a beer?!? Yes, there are some pretty decent micros in the States but few of them seem to make it here in Mississippi Delta. If I am going to indulge, I look for Budvar 12% or Erdinger. I will drink a Dos Eques if desperate. And the word "light" or any variation thereof better not be on the label :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I thought I would be the same as I drank every night. I am loving it though, I have more energy, my thinking is clearer, I am more focused, in fact I am less bored without alcohol. When I was drinking nothing was fun without it but now I am not, things just seem a whole lot better.

Send some of that my way :) Thanks! lol
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I still drink ..... only white wine and nothing else. Am trying to cut back, currently 1 glass less than before I started this. I have two weeks earmarked in october to not drink at all, after that I think a couple of glasses now and then can be factored in.