beginner leg press

I started lifting about a month and a half ago and and I've moved my weight on the leg press from 100 lbs to 125 lbs. My friends all say that's too low. I do 3 sets of 8 and really struggle to do the last 2 or 3 of each set. I was curious what other beginners leg press

Replies

• ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    I am a girl, so may not be as helpful. I bumped up from 100 to 110 this week doing 3 sets of 12. Will bump it up again in a couple weeks most likely. I started doing weights about 4 weeks ago.

**Edited to fix spelling**
  • I am a girl, so may not be as helpful. I bumped up from 100 to 110 this week doing 3 sets of 12. Will bump it up again in a couple weeks most likely. I started doing weights about 4 weeks ago.

**Edited to fix spelling**
    Thanks
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    I started lifting about a month and a half ago and and I've moved my weight on the leg press from 100 lbs to 125 lbs. My friends all say that's too low. I do 3 sets of 8 and really struggle to do the last 2 or 3 of each set. I was curious what other beginners leg press

In general that would seem low for you. As you must weigh more than that and can walk around and jump. But if you keep it up and regularly add weight you'll progress. Its great that your getting into resistance work outs!

this type of machine?
    Leg-Press.jpg
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    I started doing leg press with plates about a month ago with two 45's or a total of 90, but I quickly went up to 270 where I'm at today. I ride a bike alot, so I probably had some latent muscle just waiting to rear it's beautiful head. I love the leg press...It's really toned up my legs, and given me the muscle I need for those quick bursts of speed when I'm biking (like to pass slower bikers).

With three plates on each side, I can do 3 sets of 10 relatively easy, but rather than go up in weight, I am going lower (closer to my chest) with the leg pres...I wouldn't dare go so low with a weight I couldn't control as easily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Women totally under estimate how much they can leg press. ALL my female clients can at least leg press 200lbs. Don't see yourself short and it does wonders to help tighten up that butt too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Women totally under estimate how much they can leg press. ALL my female clients can at least leg press 200lbs. Don't see yourself short and it does wonders to help tighten up that butt too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I did 170 as my max when I started, which is a little more than I weigh, so the trainer wanted me doing reps with a lower amount but to keep adding weight as soon as I could do the 3 sets without struggling.
  • Hey, your doing it, that is all that counts.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Good info about he leg press and women. I plan to join a gym within the next couple of weeks and start lifting as well.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    I do 3-4 sets of 270lbs, going up next week.

Love the leg press.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member

It does seem kind of low, considering your legs are the largest and strongest muscle group of the body.

If it isn't hard to walk up or down stairs after you're done, you're probably not doing enough : )
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    I think it's different for everyone. Building strength and progression - you will get there.

With that said, I leg press 460.

I had right TKR early last year. I was pressing 150 easily when I finished PT 5 weeks post-op
  • I do 3 sets of 15 with 310lbs and am getting stronger all the time
  • I will chime in because I love taking issue with how much people think someone should be lifting. After reading your post. I noticed that you said you do 3 stes and struggle on the last two or three. If that is the case, you are fine! Don't ever substitute plates for form! I don't care if you can only do 20 pounds...as long as you are doing them correctly. I see people in my gym slap 6 plates on each side and do presses with crappy form. If you like you knees and lower back, you will only go up in weight when you no longer struggle on the last few reps of each set. Trust me, you will be pressing with the big boys (and girls) in no time.

When I do legs, my first two sets are with 360, 10-12 reps and the I do two sets with 45, 3-7 reps.
  • I think it's different for everyone. Building strength and progression - you will get there.

With that said, I leg press 460.

I had right TKR early last year. I was pressing 150 easily when I finished PT 5 weeks post-op
    Wow, that's great
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    I was told by a trainer that if you get the burn and you feel it the day after, you're lifting the right amount.
    I started out with 150, and am now up to 180.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    If you can squat to you heels and stand up you should be able to press about one and a half times to twice your body weight. Physics say you are only lifting a fraction of the weight on the sled.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I leg press 225 and could prob. do more, but the way my trainer has me do reps, 225 is plenty.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    I'm a girl and just started out at 150lbs. I could do more I guess (I'm doing 3 sets of 12 repetitions).
    I've seen guys who only leg pressed about 100lbs. Since I'm not particularly strong I'm sure they could do more and I'm sure you could do more too. Maybe you're just underestimating yourself?
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    BUT: My strength seems to be very unevenly distributed. I tried out the biceps curl machine (not the free weights, but one of the machines...) for the very first time today. The lowest setting is 15lbs. I tried and nothing moved. I thought the machine was broken. I tried again and it finally moved *lol* So yeah, I can leg press 150lbs but I can't biceps curl 15lbs?!?
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    BUT: My strength seems to be very unevenly distributed. I tried out the biceps curl machine (not the free weights, but one of the machines...) for the very first time today. The lowest setting is 15lbs. I tried and nothing moved. I thought the machine was broken. I tried again and it finally moved *lol* So yeah, I can leg press 150lbs but I can't biceps curl 15lbs?!?
    that would be normal. I could in good form leg press about 800lbs but would have trouble curling 80 with good form.