beginner leg press

2»

Replies

• btkkterry
    btkkterry Posts: 183
    I think it's different for everyone. Building strength and progression - you will get there.

With that said, I leg press 460.

I had right TKR early last year. I was pressing 150 easily when I finished PT 5 weeks post-op
    Wow, good job
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    I started lifting about a month and a half ago and and I've moved my weight on the leg press from 100 lbs to 125 lbs. My friends all say that's too low. I do 3 sets of 8 and really struggle to do the last 2 or 3 of each set. I was curious what other beginners leg press

Personally, I don't think it matters what anyone else is pressing. Like you said, you really struggle with your last couple of reps so the weight is working for you. As long as you always make it hard and lift as heavy as you can your ok IMO. Are you adding weight every workout?
  • btkkterry
    Not every workout, I try adding 5 lbs maybe every other time but usually can't finish the last one.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    As long as it pushes you it is, not too low... Everyone has to start somewhere! That sounds great to me x
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    I have had a knee replacement and am only allowed light weights. So I use the leg press machine. I do 4 sets of 30 with 100 lbs. I can press like 350 lbs though. High repas and low/moderate weights will give you more definition, low reps with high weights will make you bulk up. It also tears up your knees.
  • btkkterry
    As long as it pushes you it is, not too low... Everyone has to start somewhere! That sounds great to me x
    Thanks
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I started at 573. 123 for the inital resistance with no plates and 10x 45 plates. I have huge thick legs and I'll never fit into skinny boy jeans. :laugh: My current max is 1243 lbs. I have some female MFP friends who easily do over 1K as well.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    If that's all you can manage then that's enough! No point adding more weight just to satisfy someone elses opinion of what you should be doing and failing miserably, or worse still, injuring yourself.
    Keep at it and the weight will rise over time. Remember, this is not a sprint but a marathon. See what weight you're lifting in 6 months time from now, not 6 days.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    I leg press 90 kg on my toes (it helps with my ankles) and 120 kg properly, 198 lb and 264 lbs respectively, but I'm due to up it again as I'm finding it too easy.

The thing with weights we progress when we're ready, there's no right or wrong at how much you should be doing. When you're finding your able to progress onto the next stage then do it- I started with 70 kg, 150 lbs - but I've always had strong legs.

Move on when you're ready but don't push yourself :3
  • As long as it pushes you it is, not too low... Everyone has to start somewhere! That sounds great to me x
    thanks
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    I do three sets of 12 at 170-190, depending on how I feel that day. But again, I'm a girl, so that might not help you much. I used to do about 220 a couple years ago, but I think I was doing it wrong then.