Where were you born and raised?

Options

Replies

• Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in south Louisiana. Most of the older people out here speak Cajun French. It has a lot more slang and short cuts than other types, and some words are borrowed all together. Like the word for mosquitos was taken from the Native Americans. We are definitely diverse from other cultures, and we'll cook just about anything. From beef to venison and even frog legs. Just to say, we ain't too picky. Hahahaa
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Born in Seattle, Washington. Grew up in Anchorage, Alaska. Living in Jackson, MS.

Also lived in: Austin, TX, Huntsville, AL and Ft. Drum NY.

Native language: PROPER English, unlike these here southerners.... jk : )

ETA: I also know some Spanish from taking it for 5 years in school and a few words in Russian I learned in school in AK.
  • mistypelayo
    Options
    Born: Waxahachie, Tx
    Raised: Hugo, Ok
    Graduated High School: Kingston, OK
    spent 9 years in Monterey, CA
    3 years in Ft. Myers, FL
    Just moved back to Tx in June
    :flowerforyou:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Raised in the north of England, currently live in the south east of England. I lived in the South of France for the 3rd year of my degree.
    My main language is English, but I speak French pretty well.
  • SorayaRosaria
    Options
    Born and raised in Mdantsane, South Africa :)

I've lived in Grahamstown, Pretoria and am currently in Cape Town.

I'm loudly and proudly South African :)

Languages: English, Afrikaans, Xhosa (mother tongue), Zulu, Sotho, siTswana, siPedi

Wow, how awesome. We lived in Kaap Stad for about 8 months in 1998-1999. Ek kan Afrikaans verstaan, maar ek praat Nederlands. Ek kan nie schrijven, hahaha. Maar jij verstaan mij, right? It sounds soooo close that it was easy to figure out what people are saying, but I always answered in Dutch.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    western nebraska
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Detroit, Michigan. The Motor City. Where the Strong Survive and the Weak Are Eaten. I've been to Hell's Kitchen, the South Bronx, East LA, the South side of Chicago and many other places the locals think are tough. I always looked around, laughed and said, you ain't never rolled the Cass Corridor baby. This ain't nothing. Detroit City...the Home of the Motor City Madman. Hockey Town. I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out. Dang...we had fun growing up!!

Heck...we didn't even have toys. We had knives. Anyone remember playing Mumbly Peg? That was my first knife game and I still have scars on my feet and legs from it.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Born in the woods.

Raised by wolves (or so my mother claims) :laugh:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Kansas. Still live in Kansas. Currently, contemplating a move to TX.
  • SorayaRosaria
    Options
    born and raised in Jamaica until age 12 then came to Calgary Alberta Canada and still living here, i am fluent in English and Jamaican Patois

Hey Jamaican gyal! We lived in Montego Bay for a year. Beautiful!! Miss the Jerk Chicken and the Jamaican Patois!!!! Still have lots of friends there and I try to speak the same, but its a FAIL! Me nah romp yu know!
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in St. Joseph, MO!
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Born and raised in Houma, Louisiana =)

English speaking. There is some (cajun French) and more and more Spanish every day!
  • RobertM66
    RobertM66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Born in Kingston, Ontario. Raised in Calgary and living in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Loving Saskatoon.....only speak english.
  • BethAnn49
    Options
    Born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana and still live here. :smile:
  • mccabe_cj
    mccabe_cj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Born Salt Lake City, Utah.
    Lived in Los Angeles California for 10 years
    Lived in Netherlands for 2 years
    Currently living and working in Salt Lake City again
  • malayabee
    Options
    Born and Raised:
    -Fort Myers, Florida

Went to College:
    -Orlando, Florida

Lived After College:
    -Janesville/Delavan, WI
    -Pryor, OK
    -Elk City, OK

Currently Reside:
    -Kansas City, MO
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Born in The Philippines, raised in Singapore and now living in Edmonton, AB Canada =) hehe
  • knw32183
    Options
    B
  • knw32183
    Options
    Born in Texarkana, Texas. Raised in Hope, Arkansas...cookie for anyone what knows what famous person was born there.
    Bill Clinton and I prefer chocolate chip :wink:
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Prosser, Washington USA! :drinker: