Muscle is not heavier than fat!

Options
1235»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do people always say on here that muscle is heavier than fat?

1lb of fat weighs 1lb.

1lb of muscle weighs.. guess what ... 1lb!!

1lb of anything always weighs the same!!!111!1

Hope this helps lol

No, sorry not helpful at all, because I have more than 1lb of fat and more than 1 lb of muscle. So I'm still totally confused. Please help me.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    HolyGrail028.jpg

sameasaduck_big.jpg
  • emkinsella2012
    Options
    people of the same weight can look completly different, and one may seem fatter because the other has more muscle than fat. take 3 woman that weigh 200 lbs...one could be a size 10, 1 could be a 14, and one could be a size 20. My friend and i wear the same size clothes and are pretty much the same height but i weigh about 50 lbs more than her and its because shes flab and i have more muscle. the original poster of this needs to go back to 8th grade science.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Why do people always say on here that muscle is heavier than fat?

1lb of fat weighs 1lb.

1lb of muscle weighs.. guess what ... 1lb!!

1lb of anything always weighs the same!!!111!1

Hope this helps lol

How about that.... then with this logic you and I weigh the same as 1 lb of you weighs the same as 1 lb of me, what a horse *kitten* argument this is.

Because muscle is more dense it naturally weighs more (in equal volumes). When someone says muscle weighs more than fat, they are implying by volume, since "by volume" is implied there is no reason to state it or question the validity of the statement itself.

This is the gospel.. ^ amen
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Density is what is different. weight per volume. But I forget which one is more dense, fat or muscle.

Just found an answer that makes sense
    "Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9
    g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
    fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% dense
    than fat."
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    you will look much better putting on 10lbs of muscle as opposed to 10lbs of fat.. and it will be placed differently on the body.. but we all know this
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A metric ton of fat weighs more than a short ton of muscle.

Yes, it does.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    /start rant

Well then, nothing weighs more than anything else. Since a pound is a pound is a pound, everything weighs exactly the same. Steel weighs the same as feathers.

Which is generally considered nonsense. Yes, a pound is a pound. But if you take a cubic inch of muscle and a cubic inch of fat and compare them, guess what. THE MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE *gasp*

Yes, it would be more precise to say that muscle is denser than fat. Yes, it would be clearer to say that, if you have the same measurements but it's muscle rather than fat, you will weigh more. Yes, it would be more accurate to say that if you weigh the same but your clothes fit better, you may have more muscle and less fat and so take up less space while weighing the same. Because, volume for volume, muscle weighs more.

Really, everybody is arguing about VERBIAGE. Word choice. Sophistry.

/end rant

Awesome! So one pound of myself weighs the same as one pound of JLO, so technically I do not weigh more than JLO! YIPPY!
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Common sense tells us a pound of muscle and a pound of fat have to weigh the same, but they do differ in density. This means if you look at five pounds of muscle and five pounds of fat side by side, the fat takes up more volume, or space, than the muscle
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You can always tell the folks who've got physics and chemistry courses in their background when this silly saying comes up. The "You know what I mean!" defense gets played. :laugh:

The same mass of muscle tissue and fat will not occupy the same volume of space. Equal masses of fat and muscle being studied, the muscle tissue will occupy 85% of the volume of the fat tissue. That 15% reduction is quite modest, but it may be the difference between your jeans being comfortable or not.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    headdesk.gif
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I guess muscle is heavier per cubic inch but that is misleading since each pound of muscle gives a person the appearance of being much heavier than one pound of fat does. That's why shredded people are usually very much lighter than they look. I'm at a fairly muscular 9.5% body fat and most people guess my weight as 160 lbs but it's actually 135.

Did I wander into opposite land?

I think the whole thread has got folks turned around!
  • ShanniLee
    Options
    [/quote]

Yes but grapefruit helps you burn fat so keep eating that grapefruit. Tangerines have too many seeds. But you burn calories spitting them out so it probably doesn't matter which you eat as they both stave of scurvy. Limes also fight off scurvy. Maybe that's why Limey is a disparaging term for the english since they live on an island. Speaking of Islands, if all the people in the Dharma initiative were killed off by Ben Linus why was food being perodically dropped onto the island on lost. Speaking of lost, I seem to have lost my train of thought...
    [/quote]

You just made my day!!!! :D haha loved it!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    LOL never thought about it that way. Thats too funny. But muscle is denser than fat and therefore 1 lb of muscle looks smaller than 1 lb of fat. I workout probably too much and have lost inches but not a single pound yet. If I wasnt measuring and dropping clothing sizes I would have probably backed off back to what I was doing.

agreed!! Ive been getting smaller but the number isn't changing which is kind of a bummer but at least my belly fat is going away :O)

yeap...

they may seem to weigh the same, but they look and feel drastically different.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Giggle
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options

compare weights for equal VOLUME and muscle weighs more then fat.

This makes no sense. Muscle and fat don't make any noise on their own.

Please please please tell my you are kidding...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

compare weights for equal VOLUME and muscle weighs more then fat.

This makes no sense. Muscle and fat don't make any noise on their own.

Please please please tell my you are kidding...

I like pandas.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Muscle IS heavier than fat by VOLUME. When people build muscle and lose fat, they can weigh the same but have a smaller body.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh this thread again! Must be Friday.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Come see the fat inherent in the system!! Help, Help! I'm being repressed!!!