why breakfast is the worst meal of the day

Options
14567810»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    There are many studies showing kids and adults who eat breakfast function more effectively cognitively, are less sleepy, and more attentive than those who don't. This is particularly true in the mornings. There's more to life than quick weight loss.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I hate eating breakfast. What a pain in the @$$ when I'm trying to get out the door to work. I'm never hungry in the morning anyway. In fact, usually the thought of eating grosses me out that early. Occasionally, I am sort of hungry so I'll eat. But that's not often. I do IF almost every day. If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat. If I'm hungry, I'll eat. Simple as that. I'm not going to eat breakfast just because someone says its the "most important meal of the day".
  • almcginn
    almcginn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

from your article-

"It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

totally false information- but as we have said...if you like breakfast and are having success....then eat it. But dont do it based on false information. Your metabolism is not "jump started" after only fasting thru the night and your body can utilize fat in a fasted state.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find eating breakfast actually helps me stay on track, i used to skip it and then eat rubbish when I got into work or eat my lunch at 10am and then in the afternoon have to nip off to the snack machine for crisps or a chocolate bar. Kicking he sugar fix definatley helps me

Eating breakfast works for me but we are all different. I find 3 smallish meals a day with 2 small healthy 100 cal snacks in between keeps my blood sugar levels right and I am not having lows and highs.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the article.

For me its Bacon, eggs, and a cup of bulletproof coffee.
  • Iceman1800
    Options

from your article-

"It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

totally false information- but as we have said...if you like breakfast and are having success....then eat it. But dont do it based on false information. Your metabolism is not "jump started" after only fasting thru the night and your body can utilize fat in a fasted state.
    excellent post
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Through all of my high school years I didn't eat breakfast or lunch because it seemed everything made me fart. I got tired of the humiliation from both students and teachers. One teacher frequently kicked me out of the classroom or sent me to the nurses office if other students just said I farted. Another gave me a cork.
    I'd have a sandwich when I got home, often made with a full can of tuna.
    Funny thing is, I was fat in school despite not eating anything until 3:00PM. Of course fat is relative. In a family of athletes and being the only non-jock, being a little over weight was considered fat.

I don't skip breakfast now though. On the days that I do swim & gym I often end up below 1K net for the day because I can't eat back all the exercise calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Funny thing is, I was fat in school despite not eating anything until 3:00PM.

you were fat in school because you ate more calories than you used. It had nothing to do with breakfast