My 1200 Calorie/Day Eating Regimen - Thoughts?

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    - no carrots (high sugar content), NO olives, NO avocado (too much fat) -- minimal amounts won't be too bad though
    - NO rice, potatoes, beets, lentils, chick peas, hummus, kidney beans, black beans - etc on starchy items
    - NO fruit (during weight loss)
    - NO pork

*holds out tray* Let me take those off you, I'll enjoy them AND still lose weight AND be healthy, ta muchly! :happy:
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    I agree, sounds far too restrictive. And as for all the legumes on the "no" list, sorry, but these are good for you (as with anything, in moderation). For a vegetarian like myself, they are also one of the main sources of protein.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Sounds like a recipe for failure to me.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Oh no..i would be ready to gnaw off my own leg after a few days. pretty sure im high in calories so that would not work for me ever.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Sounds ok if you're in a wheelchair or bedridden.
  • No thanks. There isn't "too much" fat in avocados, beans/lentils are great and the right cuts of pork are very lean. I don't think diets that cut out natural wholesome food are good long term solutions.

True story. The lipid theory of heart disease is total bunk and you MUST have fats in your diet to absorb some vital nutrients.

Just keep an eye on the calories, and pick fruits over crazy desserts most of the time.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Personally I think it sucks *kitten*, why do some of these 'diets' make eating so complicated? No this and no that. Not for me thank you.

THIS :smile:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    - no carrots (high sugar content), NO olives, NO avocado (too much fat) -- minimal amounts won't be too bad though
    - NO rice, potatoes, beets, lentils, chick peas, hummus, kidney beans, black beans - etc on starchy items
    - NO pork

*holds out tray* Let me take those off you, I'll enjoy them AND still lose weight AND be healthy, ta muchly! :happy:

Make sure you don't go over 1200 :laugh: To OP, this is what a diet looks like. Don't diet, they fail. Plus 1200 is VERY low
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Sounds good to me. Looks a lot like a diet my doctor put me on when I was borderline diabetic. Fruit is full of sugar and not recommended for weight loss (with PCOS).
  • Umm...no fruits? ARE YOU CRAZY?
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Congrats on your progress but I would be setting myself up for failure with this one!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/09/06/unhealthy/
    2) Make yourself miserable. We all know exercise only counts if you are suffering and hating life, so only do exercises that make you want to dropkick a puppy. Pick the least enjoyable form of exercise you can think of (for me, that would be running on a treadmill like a hamster), and then force yourself to do it for hours. Every day. Combine this with some sort of diet where you starve yourself, so that you have no energy and hate life. Even better, combine this with a SUPER unhealthy diet (telling yourself, “I earned this!”) and then wonder why you’re not losing weight.

3) Blindly follow conventional wisdom. Don’t eat fat. Avoid foods with cholesterol. Eat as many heart healthy whole grains as possible, all day long. Ignore advice to consume all natural foods from “fad” diets like the Paleo Diet. Buy “healthy” microwaveable dinners that taste like feet – those are the best.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Please read and let me know your thoughts on my eating program, also if you're motivated to get healthy and in-shape, feel free to add me as a friend! thanks, c :)

Calories: 1200 or less (but could be 1300)

The program from my trainer is as follows:
    - plain oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast (can add cinnamon) - this is to avoid sugar cravings in the afternoon
    - can have as many meals as you want - green veggies and lean meat ie: chicken, shrimp, trout, salmon, low fat deli slices (but keep processed stuff to a minimum), beef only once a week - salmon and trout are higher in fat, limit to 2-3 times per week, white fish
    - NO pork
    - YES to cucumbers, onions, lettuce, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, zucchinni, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green beans, etc...
    - low cal dressing ie: balsamic vinaigrette (but check calories, 5 or less is best), light italian, sweet onion if at subway
    - another GREAT source of protein - ALLMAX, ISOFLEX protein powder - 1-1.5 scoops (vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate mint chip - 110-165calories) -- 1-3 shakes per day if you're weight lifting
    ALLOWED: mustard, hot sauce, horseradisch, honey mustard, light ketchup

-- also helpful: half a cup of water with 2-3 kelp drops as soon as you get up before consuming any food
    -- lemon in water

Drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day - sometimes I drink 6 -- lack of water will prevent weight loss even if you're eating properly

'Dessert': G2 Gatorade - not more than 1 a day

I lost 15lbs in my first month with about 5-6 binge/cheat days -- I don't recommend bingeing - the way to solve that is to allow yourself to eat ANYTHING, as long as you are present and breathing - so for the last few weeks, I've taken bites of 'illegal' items without ruining my progress or going on a bingeing party

Thanks for Reading!! :)

If all these restrictions really work for you and you don't feel hungry or deprived...awesome. But no thanks. I prefer to eat a wide range of foods that INCLUDE lots of yummy, healthy things like avocado, carrots, beans, legumes, etc...and I am still losing weight. And Gatorade G2...is a carb replacement that I use after a run longer than 5 miles...I can't imagine it as a "dessert." ;)

I thought it was interesting that people are comparing this to the Paleo diet--It doesn't seem very similar, other than limiting starches--the Paleo dieters I know only restrict grains and dairy--they eat a wide variety of proteins, fats, vegetables, and fruits--or did I miss something?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Doesn't seem sustainable to me...Plus, Gatorade as dessert? Give me pie!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Yh, umm, no, that wouldn't work for me AT ALL... Tell me "NO" something and I WANT that something. And NO pork? What does THAT do for you? I generally don't eat beef (allergic), so pork, chicken and fish are my go-to ... Most of those other items are things I may or may not care about in the long haul ... but I am much happier believing I can HAVE whatever it is ... All things in moderation.
    I am also allergic to artificial sweeteners and since they are used in most protein shakes with 'flavors' I would be up the proverbial creek without the ability to switch up my protein sources every once in a while.
    But hey, if you are fine with it, and don't mind not having choices ... it's not entirely unreasonable
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    @Californiagirl2012: your spamming has become very tiresome
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,989 Member
    it sounds too restrictive to me too much like a diet instead of a lifestyle change, the problem with diets is that they end, then what? i eat about 1200 cals a day but i eat pork, rice, avocados, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, starbucks, pretty much anything i want as long as it fits within the calories
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    I won't waste my time. I briefly read over your post and the comments. All I have to say is EAT MORE.

End of story.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Please read and let me know your thoughts on my eating program, also if you're motivated to get healthy and in-shape, feel free to add me as a friend! thanks, c :)

Calories: 1200 or less (but could be 1300)

The program from my trainer is as follows:
    - plain oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast (can add cinnamon) - this is to avoid sugar cravings in the afternoon
    - can have as many meals as you want - green veggies and lean meat ie: chicken, shrimp, trout, salmon, low fat deli slices (but keep processed stuff to a minimum), beef only once a week - salmon and trout are higher in fat, limit to 2-3 times per week, white fish
    - NO pork
    - YES to cucumbers, onions, lettuce, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, zucchinni, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green beans, etc...
    - low cal dressing ie: balsamic vinaigrette (but check calories, 5 or less is best), light italian, sweet onion if at subway
    - another GREAT source of protein - ALLMAX, ISOFLEX protein powder - 1-1.5 scoops (vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate mint chip - 110-165calories) -- 1-3 shakes per day if you're weight lifting
    ALLOWED: mustard, hot sauce, horseradisch, honey mustard, light ketchup

-- also helpful: half a cup of water with 2-3 kelp drops as soon as you get up before consuming any food
    -- lemon in water

Drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day - sometimes I drink 6 -- lack of water will prevent weight loss even if you're eating properly

'Dessert': G2 Gatorade - not more than 1 a day

I lost 15lbs in my first month with about 5-6 binge/cheat days -- I don't recommend bingeing - the way to solve that is to allow yourself to eat ANYTHING, as long as you are present and breathing - so for the last few weeks, I've taken bites of 'illegal' items without ruining my progress or going on a bingeing party

Thanks for Reading!! :)

Not a fan. Depriving your body of nutrient dense fruits is a terrible idea. And your body NEEDS that "sugar" so when you don't give it the sugar you are deeming so unimportant, you are going to binge. Just make sure your sugar doses are fruit sugars and not starchy, artificial, or refined.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    @Californiagirl2012: your spamming has become very tiresome

^^QFT, I've seen this post several times today!