My 1200 Calorie/Day Eating Regimen - Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I really wanted to leave a snarky remark, but you've gotten a fair amount of those already. This sounds awful to me. Way too many restrictions when this can be done without them! If there are certain things you want to give up, fine, but this is excessive to me and not sustainable for the rest of your life.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Although I agree to a certain extent with a lot of the statements about how depriving food groups is bad, saying "No" to almost anything is pointless and you will fail eventually, etc....I also really like the plan mentioned. I actually followed something similar when I first started in my "get healthy" phase. One of the keys to a diet such as the one listed is to not maintain this lifestyle indefinitely. It is designed to be done for a short period of time, usually no more than 1 year. This type of diet is a healthier form of cleansing/purging. The theory is that you will lose cravings for a lot of the food that is really bad for you and that you will go from this diet to a standard healthy eating lifestyle (this means you eat "anything" you want, as long as you watch your portion control and avoid things that are flat-out unhealthy). My only real concern here is if your trainer thinks you can maintain a diet indefinitely...that is typically not possible. (Granted there are people that do it successfully, but how many people do you know like that?)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    - no carrots (high sugar content), NO olives, NO avocado (too much fat) -- minimal amounts won't be too bad though
    - NO rice, potatoes, beets, lentils, chick peas, hummus, kidney beans, black beans - etc on starchy items
    - NO fruit (during weight loss)
    It sounds really healthy and no deprivation. Good luck!

Sounds like deprivation to *me*. I would be freakin miserable on that.

If she's trying to tell herself that this isn't deprivation, she's definitely lying to herself.

Actually, if she does this for long term, she will end up malnourished and weight loss will stall, but everybody needs a quick fix. :grumble:
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    Wow your giving up a lot! Which personally for me would be really hard. Why are you cutting out fruit? You need those!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    One more vote for "doesn't seem sustainable" and "Gatorade is not dessert".
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Dessert is diet gatorade? Oh that wont last lol
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I say give it a try. Listen to your body tho. I am currently on a 1300 (+ exercise cals) "diet" and it works for me - i truly don't think every one is cut out for 2000 calories a day - especially if the foods you are eating aren't crap (and by crap i mean empty sugars, processed foods, etc)...

I also think some people should eat way more than 1200 calories a day - there is a lady i work with who thinks eating 800/a day is healthy... YIKES!! but she hasn't asked for my advise so i keep it to myself, try to set a good ex. and answer any questions she has when she asks... anywho...

Just listen to your body, like I said & if your body consistantly tells you you need more, up your calories & stick to the food groups your allowed. No diet plan works for everyone - you find a diet you agree with, then tweak it for you personally...
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sounds completely ridiculous. Fire your trainer.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I would kill myself if I had to follow this. That's all I have to say about that.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    sorry, that sounds horrid. Beans, lentils, etc are healthy. Avocado is healthy. And yummy. I will never ever go back to 1200 calories a day. It's a sucky way to live. And it wreaks havoc with your metabolism. But have fun with it. (And what's the point in using those artificial sweeteners/chemicals in the protein powder if you are working so hard to stay away from processed crap?)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/09/06/unhealthy/
    2) Make yourself miserable. We all know exercise only counts if you are suffering and hating life, so only do exercises that make you want to dropkick a puppy. Pick the least enjoyable form of exercise you can think of (for me, that would be running on a treadmill like a hamster), and then force yourself to do it for hours. Every day. Combine this with some sort of diet where you starve yourself, so that you have no energy and hate life. Even better, combine this with a SUPER unhealthy diet (telling yourself, “I earned this!”) and then wonder why you’re not losing weight.

3) Blindly follow conventional wisdom. Don’t eat fat. Avoid foods with cholesterol. Eat as many heart healthy whole grains as possible, all day long. Ignore advice to consume all natural foods from “fad” diets like the Paleo Diet. Buy “healthy” microwaveable dinners that taste like feet – those are the best.

HAHA! Nerd Fitness FTW...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Why all the carrot hate

My rabbit likes carrots and hes not fat

edit: plus carrot cake rocks
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it....WAY too restrictive for me. I need all my food groups :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    - NO fruit (during weight loss)
    - YES to cucumbers, onions, lettuce, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, zucchinni, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green beans, etc...

This is confusing. Cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini and green beans are all fruit
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    No rice or black beans? There are entire islands in the carribbean that consider these staples. The entire island of Cuba thrives on it. Looks like a horrible meal plan to me.

But....if it's working for you, and you're OK with it, who am I to judge?
  • lroberts5
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners (gatorade G2) and protein powder are acceptable in such restriction but whole grains and beans loaded with natural fiber and protein sources and good fats like avocado and olives are out?

This sounds like a hot mess.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners (gatorade G2) and protein powder are acceptable in such restriction but whole grains and beans loaded with natural fiber and protein sources and good fats like avocado and olives are out?

This sounds like a hot mess.

+1
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I would suggest a new trainer and maybe finding a nutritionist to get some good, accurate information about food.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Unless your trainer is a Registered Dietician, they should not be making menus for you, and they know that. Anyone who is 'just' a PT knows they are not trained for that and giving specific menus is out of their league.
  • cindykrauss
    Options
    I was miserable on a similar diet. Lots of water loss in the begging then a very quick halt to any loss at all. All weight returned after eating a "normal" diet for a week. Not bingeing just a weill rounded diet. It sounds like you will need to add fiber supplements as well. The fats in avacado and olives are quite good for you and they are packed with other nutrition benefits. My biggest issue was no fruit. I tried this about four times over the last 10 years or so and was never successful with it. Good luck!