Maybe This Site Isn't For Me??

Options

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you think you should have lost more than an inch in two weeks. two weeks? seriously. that's awesome.

too many people want immediate gratification, and that's why all these quick fixes, diet pills, and fad diets exist. I'm quite sure you didn't put an inch on your waist in two weeks. so take a chill pill, and step back into reality. :)
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have not stepped on the scale in 3 weeks now because it frustrated me 2 weeks in a row once i started exercising again (.08 gain then 1.4 gain)...HOWEVER, my pants fit looser so i know im doing something right. Yes, that number on the scale is very important to me, but i know in the past when it hasnt budged or went the wrong way, i threw a hissy fit and ended up derailing. I'll hop back on the scale in a week or so and see whats been done.

Keep at it!
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    Honey, 1 inch in 2 weeks is pretty damn good. It's taken me upwards of five months to get from a size 16 to a size 12. Don't make your expectations too high. Losing weight takes time and a lot of patience. Have your husband hide the scale from you, and not let you have it for a couple of months. Then check your weight. That's what I did the first time I weighed myself and I felt great. :)
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Did you put the weight on in a couple weeks?
    It's not going to come off in a couple weeks. You can reasonably expect to lose maybe 5lbs/month. that means it will take a lot of people a solid year to get where they want to go. Or more. If you're antsy about dropping the weight super fast, it's going to take unhealthy measures that tend to guarantee it comes right back as well.
    If you really want to take it off and keep it off, get into healthy habits, and give it the time it needs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The next 6 months are going to come along, you can either choose to stick at it and see where you end up. Or quit and regret quitting 6 months down the line..

And as everyone's already said, losing one inch off your waist in 2 weeks is awesome. It probably won't continue at that rate, but even at HALF that rate, that means in six months, your waist will be six inches smaller.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When you go from a sedentary to an active lifestyle it takes a long time to start seeing results. However your body begins changing on the very first day!

The general advice is to not expect to see results within the first 6 weeks as your body begins to adjust from a fat storing mode to a fat burning mode.

However, after this point you will begin to see dramatic results! I weighed myself when I first started and was 265 lbs. Didn't weigh again for 6 weeks and was about 260 lbs. 6 months later I was down to 225. That's just how it goes.
  • that it all one day at a time,,,,,,,its hard but its worth it,,,:flowerforyou:
  • ThickerThanMe
    Options
    just remember you may not lose weight immediately.. muscle actually weighs more than fat so you may just be toning up right now turing that fat into muscle and thus the scales dont reflect your progress.. you can do it... we all can do it. just takes faith, motivation and patience!
  • SusieGirlRN
    SusieGirlRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are worth it ~ give this more than two weeks. Many (if not all) of us would love instant gratification with our weight loss & fitness efforts, but we know that the time put in is directly related to keeping it off & maintaining our level of fitness. P.S. I have been working out like a mad woman & still haven't lost any weight ... BUT ~ I feel fantastic!!! Don't throw in the towel yet - you can find all of the support you need on MFP :flowerforyou:
  • KayWatNor
    KayWatNor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations with losing an inch! That is progress and proof that you are moving in the right direction...remember losing weight is a process especially when you are doing it naturally (diet & exercise). Don't give up....stay encourage and celebrate your small victories because they are worth celebrating. At least you haven't gained any weight in your two week span.....another victory to celebrate.:smile:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale though: water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations

Patience patience patience and keep your focus on two things: Eat Less and Move More. Nothing else matters.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. it just doesn't take up as much space so you'd lose inches. That whole muscle weighs more than fat is my biggest pet peeve. Sorry.
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds in over a year believe me it takes time, others lose faster and with some it takes longer.
    Get over it and push yourself n eventually youll get there! losing one inch is awesome be happy with that!
    You achieved something ,let that be your motivation!
    I weight myself once a month... i dont own a scale of my own.
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend. I have a group of friends that give me the highest motivation possible: COMPLIMENTS!!! Any day that I eat calories under my goal and exercise is a day to celebrate. My weight is coming down very slowly, .5 per week average. But this site has taught me what "NSV" means = NON-SCALE VICTORIES. I have to watch for NSVs so I don't get discouraged. Be patient, it WILL happen!
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much and you are so right, 1 inch is pretty awesome. I guess I just needed the reassurance that 1 inch is good.
    Im not giving up, yes I am struggling but I know I am worth so much more than I am giving myself credit for.
    I did change my settings from losing 2 pounds a week to losing 1 a week so I am going to see how that changes things.
    Trust me, I know this is a long journey. I just needed to know that I am on the right path.
    Thank you all so much for helping me to realize that. Im going to accept all the requests and respond to messages, change my diary settings and then off to workout.
  • worthliving4
    worthliving4 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    honestly you did not gain weight overnight SO do not expect to loss it that fast. MFP is to keep you on track and inspired. I follow people who are positive and want to reach a goal. Once that goal is met it is time to set a new one! Health is so much more important than anything else as it determines all success from within. Keep changing up your program to stay inspired and work muscles in new ways. The ultimate goal is to never give up....everyday you are closer to your goal.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    How much did you expect to lose in two weeks? Seriously? Stop paying attention to the quack TV personalities who promise you can lose 5-10 pounds in two weeks and focus on being healthy. One inch is really, really good. Most people lose about 1-2 pounds per week, but that's an average. Sometimes I go a week or two without losing a pound, but then I drop 2-3 pounds the following week. Just stick with it. Two weeks is only the beginning. Pretty soon, it'll become routine, and time won't be a factor anymore. Don't rush it.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. it took you more than 2 weeks to get where you are today. its going to take time.

2. losing 1 inch in 2 weeks is PHENOMENAL. if you're expecting more, you're going to need some power tools to start slicing and dicing body parts.

3. getting and staying healthy is a LIFETIME thing...its not a 2 week or 2 month thing. change your perception of this journey. know that if you make healthy choices consistently, the weight and inches will eventually come off. don't put a timetable on it.
  • Quibeful
    Quibeful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else hear. You must be doing something right, 1 in in 2 weeks! Try to find other things that are a positive about choosing to be healthy. ther are called NSV (Non scale VICTORIES) they are pretty satisfying. NOtice that you can walk farther than before, you don't sound like a Vacuum after you take the stairs... or maybe you did 10 squats better than last week. It really acan be anything. Losing weight and being healthier is really rewarding when you can see the way it changes your lifestyle. I hope you can realize that you are a success at this and that the results are really on you. MFP is just a tool so that you can see that you are not the only one going thru this struggle. We got your back, but belive in yourself more. YOU CAN WIN THIS !!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    1 inch lost..... That means you burned fat. And that is a greater accomplishment than the number on the scale. The scale is deceiving. You could weigh the same amount and be in a size 12, or in a size 8, still at the same weight. Let reducing body fat be your goal and your guide.