OK I am a fat chick who loves wine

Options
OK I know I am overweight, and I know I love to drink wine.....where is the happy balance in that?

If I cut down on the food calories and pad my daily goal with wine calories will my weight loss continue to stall?

Please don't offer advice on how to stop the wine its not happening.

Gym time? yes 1 hour 5 days a week!

Wine time yes few glasses each night!

Food time yes veggies are on my plate

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't know if your weight loss will stall if you eat wine instead of food, but you might get sick. I love wine but I only drink it once a week.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried wine and soda water?...delicious! I am not a big drinker...but my mum loves her wine. When she lost her weight...she would drink a couple of glasses per night of wine and soda (white) and then on a Friday, it was usually pizza and a full strength wine or two. When I have white wine...that's how I prefer it now
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I gave up white bread, gave up butter, trying to give up sugar... not giving up my wine. :drinker:
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Can you cut back the number of glasses of wine?

I don't mean to be blunt, but doesn't really sound like you want the answer. You've already made up your mind.

The reality is, there aren't many people here who are going to pat you on the back and tell you what you want to hear.

The reality is that if you are drinking a couple of glasses a wine a night, that is about 300-600 calories wasted on something with no nutritional value.

So, you ask where is the balance.

I'm going to tell you the truth.

You need to cut back. One glass a couple of times a week. No more than 4 ounces (100 calories). Work out more. What are you doing for an hour? One hour straight cardio?

Are you lifting?

And since I'm being honest, there is nothing healthy about a couple of glasses of wine a night. I love to drink as much as the next gal, but I also realize that it isn't good for me to have more than 3 drinks a week unless it is a special occasion.

If you want *kitten* patting and warm and fuzzy lies, ask that question on facebook. If you want the truth, don't put stipulations on your question.

Get serious about get healthy and cut out all the wine.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    And for god's sake, stop thinking about calories in and calories out like they don't matter. What you eat means as much as the number of calories. Sure, you can cut out all your food and live on wine if you want. But you will end up dead. Have at it.

Sorry if I'm harsh, but I am so sick of the "I'm fat but I love candy bars/wine/pizza. Can I just eat 900 calories of said crap and still lose weight?" stuff.

Make the choice to get serious and make some adult choices. Or stay fat.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Gosh it sounds like a couple people could use a glass of wine. Chill out. Why such hostility?
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i love wine but i would suggest maybe not drinking it every day?? maybe every other day?? and the wine + club soda idea sounds great!!

my question to you is do you like wine because of the taste or because of the alcohol's effects on your body?
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    The French drink wine every night and they are not a fat culture, rude yes, fat no.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    i love wine but i would suggest maybe not drinking it every day?? maybe every other day?? and the wine + club soda idea sounds great!!

my question to you is do you like wine because of the taste or because of the alcohol's effects on your body?

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds the humor in this post coming from the handle , Tequila09
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. I have 1-2 glasses most nights of the week and have lost over 30 lbs. Now... I wouldn't advise trying to fit in more than that, and you have to work for them, but it can be done.
  • Romans624
    Options
    What I wonder is how people have 1-2 glasses... and what do they do with the rest of the bottle? I drink rarely but one reason I drink so rarely is the bottle goes bad if I don't drink it all.

I drink white wine/moscato rarely.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The French drink wine every night and they are not a fat culture, rude yes, fat no.

Bad stereotype! When I visited France I found the only rude people I encountered were tourists. The French people I met were friendly to me. I guess you get what you give. :flowerforyou: It's true that I don't remember seeing any fat people. I'm sure there are a few - just not noticeable.

OP, how about cutting down to one glass a night. If you're cutting backon food, then it makes sense to cut back on drink as well, yes?
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Like everything, with moderation. If you moderate your wine intake (as in maybe a glass or two and no more) and perhaps try not to do it daily, then I don't see the problem. Wine can have its health benefits, especially red wine, but that doesn't excuse the bad side effects it can have too.

You don't have to give up everything, but at the same time you can't have as much as you're used to, that's the point of changing your eating/drinking habits to help you lose weight.
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    If you like your wine than have it! But try to cut back a bit on the amount and on the frequency. Maybe you can have it only on Fridays with sodawater? And at the end of the night you take a glass of the straight thing. I am telling you wine with sodawater is delish and it defo helps with the calories and the carbs. Long live wine :)
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Take a chill pill already, sheesh people are too serious here.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is how people have 1-2 glasses... and what do they do with the rest of the bottle? I drink rarely but one reason I drink so rarely is the bottle goes bad if I don't drink it all.

lol share it or keep it for a few days and finish it another night. A regular bottle has 26oz, so roughly 6 6oz glasses.
  • Romans624
    Options

lol share it or keep it for a few days and finish it another night. A regular bottle has 26oz, so roughly 6 6oz glasses.

Yeah, I guess I need to be more social. A lot of my friends/family either don't drink, or they don't drink sweet moscatos. I will have to find a friend to share the moscato with me.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

So I take it you know every French person in existence and know for a fact they all drink and all have the same personalities? Plenty of European countries have wine with certain meals or casually but that doesn't mean the entirety of them does. It would be like saying everyone in America ate McDonalds for dinner and drank nothing but soda, which despite media sayings, we don't.
  • fourgotten
    Options
    I wouldn't even suggest that you quit the wine... a glass of wine a day is good for a body.

Perhaps cutting down to a glass a day would do you well (and be a lot cheaper!)

I don't think that cutting down the food calories to allow for more wine calories will do you a lot of good... sure, if you're operating on a caloric deficit, you WILL lose weight, but probably not terribly efficiently...
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    @saragota

Read above.