OK I am a fat chick who loves wine

Options

Replies

• Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For the first six months of my initial weight loss I gave up alcohol. It was awful. My friends and husband were begging me to drink, lol. I stayed in like a pariah.

After the bulk of my weight was gone I went to drinking one night a week. Then two. Now I am up to 3-4 days a week and I usually have wine with dinner and/or on the weekends.

For me its all about calories in, calories out. If I have 300 calories of wine or beer; that goes into my daily allotment like anything else. IF I am over for the day, I have to make up for it in exercise or throughout the rest of the week.

I'd like to get back to once a week drinks and am considering that, because I'd like to lose 20 more lbs.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Gosh it sounds like a couple people could use a glass of wine. Chill out. Why such hostility?

Nope. None at all. Tired of all the people who want get fit fast diets but still want to eat crap.

I was pushing 200 lbs and there was no way I was losing weight continuing to the unhealthy person I was when I started this journey. It is how I got fat to begin with. I had to change my lifestyle. If you come here expecting to be able to do the same things you have always done and magically lose weight, you are in for a rude awakening.

And of course the next post we see from this poster is, "I've been at this for a year. Why haven't I lost weight. I'm so frustrated."

This board is cyclical. The same questions over and over.

The things you will see from the people who have actually made big changes in their lives...they are all the same. Start living a healthy lifestyle...including nutrition and exercise. And don't put stipulations on what you will and won't do.

I agree 100% with this - i obviously havnt been around on these boards for a year but I have known people who have lost weight and those who have tried and havent and it is the people who make long term life style changes that have been the ones who have not only succesfully lost wieght but kept it off.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

For me its all about calories in, calories out.

yes but... (there's always a but, isn't there?)
    If someone is trading nutritional calories out in order to make room for wine calories, they run a very high risk of being unhealthy.
    On the other hand if someone wants to add 300 calories to an already nutrition filled day, and then exercise off those 300 calories, that may be a healthier option. I still wouldn't say it's the best scenario, but at least they would be getting enough of the things the body needs.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I do - and I'm sure others will have something negative to say about it.

I like wine, but LOVE German beer. I've been able to cut back to a beer a night during the weekdays. Weekends I have what I want. Last night I drank 4 delicious beers and loved every drop and don't feel a bit of guilt!

To compensate for those extra calories, I run, a lot! I run about 25-30 miles a week. I figure the calories for the week equal out, you have to look at the bigger picture, it's not just a daily thing.

So move more! This is a lifestyle change not a fad diet.

Maybe one day I'll get super serious with training again, but for now I'm tackling one issue at a time. And I'm not giving up drinking
  • guapogringo
    Options
    Red cab snob checking in!
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    I feel your pain! I also love wine and if I open a bottle when I get home from work it is gone by bedtime.
    Wine really does stall my weight loss. I can stay within my calorie goals until that bottle is opened.

My current strategy is buying those four packs of little bottles and only allowing myself one per day. Would you be willing to try that?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The French drink wine every night and they are not a fat culture, rude yes, fat no.

So I take it you know every French person in existence and know for a fact they all drink and all have the same personalities? Plenty of European countries have wine with certain meals or casually but that doesn't mean the entirety of them does. It would be like saying everyone in America ate McDonalds for dinner and drank nothing but soda, which despite media sayings, we don't.

Lol at this. It's true.

Not only that European countries have more activity in their lives, and I'm sure the French are not basting in vino, drinking it every meal or multiple glasses. Wine is one of those things you enjoy in moderation.

I agree with the other post, you just sound like you're making an excuse. If you want your wine, enjoy it in moderation. Clearly you already see it is affecting your weight loss goals... and not to mention the fact that it is basically empty calories. Just moderate how much you drink...
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It's a thing called self control. You need it to loose weight. Too much wine. Bad.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    OK I know I am overweight, and I know I love to drink wine.....where is the happy balance in that?

Wine time yes few glasses each night!

Well, logically, the happy balance would be one glass per night rather than a few. Or a few glasses a couple of times a week. Depends what's more important to you - to drink wine every night, or to drink more than one glass at a time.

I love wine myself - I normally have one bottle of red wine per month. I find it's more of a treat to have it less often - if I had several glasses per night, I wouldn't enjoy it so much.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I do - and I'm sure others will have something negative to say about it.

I like wine, but LOVE German beer. I've been able to cut back to a beer a night during the weekdays. Weekends I have what I want. Last night I drank 4 delicious beers and loved every drop and don't feel a bit of guilt!

I think there is something very important here that you mentioned that the OP said she was extremely resistant to: your willingness to cut back. For many (most?) of us here, it's that willingness to try to cut back some on the things we love that help us find success. Some people will cut things out completely, or severely cut back... but even small changes, and a willingness to make change if necessary, are a step in the right direction.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Gosh it sounds like a couple people could use a glass of wine. Chill out. Why such hostility?

:laugh: I was thinking the same thing myself!!

I am also a wine lover! And yes, I would love to drink it every single night, in fact, I'd say I started to plateau when I stopped drinking it every night, lol! Right, as with everything on MFP it is a learning curve. If you try to change your habits completely overnight it'll be hard not to just go back to your old ways, so you need to change things slowly and it doesn't hurt as much.

Sounds obvious, but start using a smaller glass - if you have, say, 2 glasses of an evening, by slowly reducing the size of your glass you're also reducing volume.

If you drink wine with your evening meal (and why wouldn't you?) also have a glass of water to hand, still or sparkling, it's what you'd do in a restaurant probably, and alternate drinks - one sip water, one sip wine etc.

Buy one bottle and tell yourself how many days it is to last, 2? 3? Then if you drink it all in one day, TOUGH, no wine the next day.

If you find that the first thing you do when you get home of an evening is reach for a bottle of wine, change your routine. Make your first drink a coffee, or a juice - I found that when I did that and waited until I sat down to eat I cut out LOADS!

Lastly, you don't need to stop it completely, just control it a little more than you have done - I'll be joining you tomorrow, having a good old sesh watching the last day of the Paralympics :drinker: :drinker:

Edited to correct stupid typos, anyone would think I'd been drinking, pmsl!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Simply control the portions! I switched from beer & hard cider to wine and I use Poland Springs sparkling water to cut it and it is delicious, refreshing and I have a couple of glasses and it does the job nicely! :drinker:
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options

I think there is something very important here that you mentioned that the OP said she was extremely resistant to: your willingness to cut back. For many (most?) of us here, it's that willingness to try to cut back some on the things we love that help us find success. Some people will cut things out completely, or severely cut back... but even small changes, and a willingness to make change if necessary, are a step in the right direction.

it takes time to makes these changes. you cant tackle every vice all at once. that's where a lot of people fail
  • zoe1945
    Options
    I am not much of a drinker but is there perhaps a wine that is lower in calories that you can enjoy. I have seen the brand Skinny Girl but dont know if its much different than the other wines out there. I think we all have our special demons yours just happens to be high in calories. I agree with other posts to take it down a notch to maybe one glass a night but you can do that when you are ready, its like any habit in life it takes time. Good Luck
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    the day i stop drinking wine will be the day that i die. i've lost 21 lbs, still drinking more than plenty of it. i rarely exercise, and when i do, its not very much. i cut out all processed food, grains, and sugars (except what comes from alcohol).
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is how people have 1-2 glasses... and what do they do with the rest of the bottle? I drink rarely but one reason I drink so rarely is the bottle goes bad if I don't drink it all.

I drink white wine/moscato rarely.

they're doing it wrong. there should be no "rest of the bottle". :laugh:
  • georgie181
    Options
    alcohol is hard to limit. I have done though. I agree with some of the other posters it takes time to change. I started by just replacing stuff, brown from white, fresh meat from processed, veggies from tinned beans and spagetti etc.

I only started to weigh and measure 4 months ago and alcohol was also 1 of the last to go.....I don't drink at all sunday to thursday and drink fri and saturdays if I want to, which isn't always and this is from a bottle or more a night (oh the shame,lol) I go withhout for weeks at a time now, but defo don't drink on workout days because alcohol lowers your metabolism by as much as 75%
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Well I see there are mixed reviews on to drink or not to drink. That's what I love about these boards. But I think I will change things slowly, add the sparkling water to begin with.

For those of you who are harsh and want to 'tell the truth" thanks for your humble opinions

For those of you who enjoy your wine and have made it work I believe you have found your balance

cheers
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is how people have 1-2 glasses... and what do they do with the rest of the bottle? I drink rarely but one reason I drink so rarely is the bottle goes bad if I don't drink it all.

I drink white wine/moscato rarely.

Get one of these vacuum things that pumps air out of the bottle. It will last for weeks!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=10403235&
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options

I sometimes buy mini bottles - especially when there is a three for £5 deal. Or if I buy a regular bottle, I drink it over several days - I put it in the fridge in between. You can also freeze leftover wine and use it as an ingredient in meals.