Body fat % help please

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues with BF% measurements all over the place. One had me at like 47%, and another had me at 27%. Last week my friend loaned me this

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347145475&sr=8-1&keywords=fat+loss+monitor

and I have played with it a little. According to it, I am right at 42-43% depending on time of day. sadly, it lines up pretty close to what the military BF calculator has said. Hopefully I can measure it on a regular basis and see it go down.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    While the US Navy/military one is known to over-estimate, it should be closer to the other calculators. Mine is only 1-2% more. The thing is, you have to use the measurements it was designed for. You dont use your navel, and you dont use your widest hip measurement from a front-facing view.

For your body fat to show up that high for the Navy one, I would hazard a guess that you aren't measuring in the right places. You should use your natural waist (not the navel) and Navy hip (buttocks) measurements. Natural waist is "point of minimal abdominal circumference". About halfway between Breastbone and navel. Unless you have a high waist, then you might want to use the side bend test. The hip measurement should be taken at the widest point from a profile view of the right side so that the tape passes over "the greatest protrusion of gluteal muscles (buttocks)," so not your widest hip measurement from a front facing view.

If you are interested in seeing the full instructions for Navy taping, you can view at www.jag.navy.mil and look for OPNAVINST 6110.1H.

Ahha!! I'll check this out too. I usually measure at my belly button. I didn't even think about that. Thank you!!! I'm still going to buy a caliper though. I didn't realize they were as inexpensive as they are.