Eating after 6 pm

Options
124»

Replies

• sharty63
    sharty63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find with all diet advice, there are some rules that work for everyone. I honestly don't think when you eat matters as much as how much/what you eat - that equation of calories in vs calories expended. I try and stick to the rule of "go to bed hungry" and if I am hungry at night, before I eat something I try to think of what I've eaten all day and I can either have a snack of some sort or a large no calorie drink if I've eaten my limit. Hope this helps!
  • maryjay51
    Options
    almost every night i swig down a protien/casien shake and that is around 10 or 11pm.. i lost 80lbs so far..the concept is to keep the metabolism up. if i didnt eat anything after 6pm my metabolism would plummit and i would be putting my body in to starvation mode by not eating for 12hours.. thats crazy to do that.
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it would be a question of "what" to eat after 6pm.
    If i don't eat before i go to bed i will not sleep and i'll wake up too hungry.
    Sometimes i snack (healthy of course) or i will have a bowl of oats with soy milk :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ..the concept is to keep the metabolism up. if i didnt eat anything after 6pm my metabolism would plummit and i would be putting my body in to starvation mode by not eating for 12hours.. thats crazy to do that.

congrats on losing weight but your metabolism does not "plummit" and you do not enter starvation mode after 12 hours of not eating
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a cut-off time of two hours before I go to bed for both eating and drinking. It just helps me sleep better: My sleep is more sound and I don't need to get up in the middle of the night. What does that have to do with weight-loss/health? I was reading in The Weight of the Nation that prelim studies show that good sleep seems to have a positive effect on resetting certain hormone levels that regulate hunger and saiety, and vice-versa: that poor or restless sleep upsets the balance of those same hormones. Nothing absolutely proven of course; but it certainly doesn't hurt to get a good night's sleep ;-)
    That!
    The reason that I stop eating two hours before going to bed is that like Tanya, I cannot have a good night sleep after I eat/snack/drink within two hour of my bedtime. The only exception is a glass of warm skim milk. It helps me to relax and adds to my protein intake. Whatever works for you!
    Marishka
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You can eat when you want from a calorie perspective. If eating before bedtime messes up your sleep or gives you stomach rumbles, then avoid it.