bump for later
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    Every single exercise mentioned here, including DL's and weighted squats, will help but for heaven's sake put the pink barbie weights down!! If you're not pushing your muscles to failure by the 10th or 12th rep, you're not using enough weight. Lift heavy!
  • atyoursix
    Options
    I think AnitraSoto has nailed it. The triceps are an especially stubborn muscle so you have got to turn and burn them. Personally, I love doing supersets with very little to no rest in between. You may have to start with a little lighter weight but the nice thing is you can be done your exercise in almost half the time. I always do biceps and triceps, chest and back, legs and abs/core. Google supersetting for some familiar exercises to incorporate into your routine. Good luck on your trip to the gun show!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What's a good exercise for firming up flabby arms?

None. Eat less and it goes away. Work out your whole body, with weights, you can't just work your arms. Everything will tone up with a full body workout.

My flabby arms are in the first picture here from last June --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/742284-lets-see-some-muscle-chicks-real-ones

Granted I had some muscle underneath that wasn't showing, but start a full body women's workout now and you will too. I believe that The New Rules for Lifting for Women sounds like a good program.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shay0425
    Options
    Bump
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Im doing a push ups challenge, http://hundredpushups.com/ I'm on week 3, and noticing a huge difference in my arms, (although I started doing the push ups several months ago, I only just started the challenge )

Im also losing weight at the same time, so I'm not 100% sure which ones making the biggest difference :)

ETS chin ups and pull ups also would help, I'm going to be getting a bar installed in my bedroom doorway :)
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, the only thing that has really seemed to make a difference for me so far is push ups, unfortunately I HATE them, but there it is!
  • lila1980
    lila1980 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Diet obviously plays a huge part in the flab issue, but for me, it was kickboxing. 3x per week, and they're noticably smaller. The muscle definition in my triceps and shoulders especially is great!
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is a workout I found off of pinterest by Tracy Anderson. This is 7 minutes and her goal is tone without bulk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dQOBbLnk7o
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem, and now it is all but gone (I am down from my all time high weight of 260 pounds, so extra skin has been somewhat of an issue...). I have been lifting heavy for about 4 months now which has helped my overall body composition tremendously. The things that have helped my arms the most are:

Tricep kickbacks
    Tricep Dips (on a low step)
    Bicep Curls
    Lateral Raises
    Front Raises
    Chest Presses

I do 8 - 12 reps with the heaviest weights I can handle and repeat each exercise 3 times. I also do a lot of Cathe Friedrich's weight lifting DVDs which are awesome.

The weight lifting seems to help, not by firming the skin, but rather filling it out with muscle. I am still a work in progress, but I know I will never stop lifting - the benefits (along with a couple of days of cardio a week) are amazing...

^^This. I work with heavy weights and follow Jamie Easons LiveFit. Adding weights will make a big difference.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Push ups.
    Chair dips.

Lots of them...
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    BUMP (bumpbumpbumpbump-my arms are a serious problem :laugh: )
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. Thanks :)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Have similar issues with flabby arms. Just start strength training and use weights. I am only using a max of 10 pounds right now, but I know that the higher the weights, the better it is for toning. Good luck.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    bump
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump for turning my wings into arms! :laugh:
  • sue_886
    Options
    There are a ton of videos on youtube. I also do bicep curls and lateral raises (5lb weights), chair tricep dips, pushups, and planks. I do about 10-15 reps per set, and about 3 sets. I don't always do all of these, and I don't do them every day; your muscles need time to heal. My triceps are the hardest to tone, but I can see a definite bicep/shoulder difference!
  • myriahj84
    Options
    Every single exercise mentioned here, including DL's and weighted squats, will help but for heaven's sake put the pink barbie weights down!! If you're not pushing your muscles to failure by the 10th or 12th rep, you're not using enough weight. Lift heavy!

This ^^^ You have to challenge your muscles, that is the only way you will get the tone and definition that you want. If you can breeze through 10-12 reps of any exercise then you are NOT challenging your muscles. You should start to feel the burn and struggle by the end of the reps. If you are not strong then start with a low weight, and as the weeks progress you will notice it will get easier to use these weights. When that happens keep increasing your weight as needed.

This is a good article with exercise demo's and instructions: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

Good luck to everyone!