flabby arms

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think that doing things like bicep curls, tricep extenstions, etc etc (there are a lot of arm exercises out there you can just look them up and pick what ones you like the most) would be good along with eating at a calorie deficit to lose the fat.

ETA: and I mean with heavy weights, not just light 3-5lb ones.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem, and now it is all but gone (I am down from my all time high weight of 260 pounds, so extra skin has been somewhat of an issue...). I have been lifting heavy for about 4 months now which has helped my overall body composition tremendously. The things that have helped my arms the most are:

Tricep kickbacks
    Tricep Dips (on a low step)
    Bicep Curls
    Lateral Raises
    Front Raises
    Chest Presses

I do 8 - 12 reps with the heaviest weights I can handle and repeat each exercise 3 times. I also do a lot of Cathe Friedrich's weight lifting DVDs which are awesome.

The weight lifting seems to help, not by firming the skin, but rather filling it out with muscle. I am still a work in progress, but I know I will never stop lifting - the benefits (along with a couple of days of cardio a week) are amazing...
  • fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bumping cos I'm having the same issue.
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • aallegri
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I don't like my arms at all. I've been working out with 5 lb. weights. I don't know all the names of the exercises, but bicep curls are one. The other is an extension. Stand with the weight in both hands above your head (like a triangle), and slowly lower it BACKWARDS...behind your head. That one helps the flab.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barnesy90
    Barnesy90 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Swimming, swimming and more swimming. I started going once or twice a week about a month ago and my arms are noticeably much less flabby than they were :-)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    PUSH UPS!
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I lost an inch on my upper arms doing the 30 day shred, from day 2 to day 6. Honest to God. I measured right before I did day 2, and again after day 6 workout. My arms are one of my main concerns as well. I want to lose the flub that sags down lol.

My arms have shrunk so much from the 30DS too, I've always hated my arms ( I still dont like them) but I'm so much happier with them now :)
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Rows, pullups, bench press, overhead press. Might as well throw in some squats and deadlifts for your legs.

And a calorie deficit.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Rows, pullups, bench press, overhead press. Might as well throw in some squats and deadlifts for your legs.

And a calorie deficit.
    I am not as experienced as others, but THIS!^^^^^^^^

I have noticed that, inaddition to specific exercise targeted for those muscles, doing squats/dead lifts tones the whole me!

I also noted the same effect from doing time on my mountain bike off-road. The whole me got firmer!
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    bumping since my boss wants me to help her at the gym later after work!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This is great. I'll be doing it from now on.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    One simple thing you can do without any weights is to clasp your hands behind your back with your arms straight, and then raise your clasped hands, keeping your arms straight. See how far you can go up with your hands behind your back.

If you've had any ballet lessons and remember the basic arm positions, you can go through those, very slowly in a smooth motion and that will give your shoulders quite a workout!
  • abcmom03
    abcmom03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump...thanks!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump! I need this!
  • cbelden05
    Options
    I found that rail push ups/counter push ups work really great for me. 3 sets of 10 - 3 times per week. Notice difference in just a couple of weeks.

I do the pushups against the wall and can feel the burn in my upper arms. I'm hoping to notice a difference in another couple weeks. I started them last week.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    What's a good exercise for firming up flabby arms?

Try strength training and yoga :) send me a message if you want some of the moves i dont want to spam the forum with pics lol