Peanut butter in oatmeal?

Options
How do you do it? Do you put it in while it is cooking, or add it after? I usually put 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon in while it is cooking, then add a mashed banana, but I want something different. So should I put cinnamon in while it is cooking, and then add PB after? Or what?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too............I know PB melts so i bet if you put it in either while cooking or while still hot in bowl it would work. I want to eat it in oatmeal and cream of wheat.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I haven't tried peanut butter in oatmeal but I have a friend who adds peanut butter to instant oatmeal and then freezes it. She makes 4 balls and they are 86 cals each. I was thinking of trying it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I cook my porridge first, then stir in the pb while it's warm.
    Chopped or grated apple is a good addition too.
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    I've never done it, but I think I'd nuke it first (to make it runny), and mix it in just as it finished cooking... because, even in hot oatmeal, I think it'd be difficult to blend evenly....

Wonder if it would work with marshmallow fluff... :wink:

~k
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried peanut butter in oatmeal but I have a friend who adds peanut butter to instant oatmeal and then freezes it. She makes 4 balls and they are 86 cals each. I was thinking of trying it.

OMG.............that sounds freakin delicious!!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of PB2 in some oatmeal this morning.

I fed it to my dog, but it sure looked delicious.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I usually put PB with a banana, blueberries, and strawberries when i have my hot oat bran cereal. It tastes great!
  • KerryPayne
    KerryPayne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter and Jam (jelly) on toast so I tried that combination in my morning oatmeal too it was really good, I mixed it in the bowl once it was cooked, the heat of the oatmeal melted it all together.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I've never done it, but I think I'd nuke it first (to make it runny), and mix it in just as it finished cooking... because, even in hot oatmeal, I think it'd be difficult to blend evenly....

Wonder if it would work with marshmallow fluff... :wink:

~k

PB doesn't melt completely in oatmeal in my experience. nuke it for about 20-30 second and then blend :)
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am going to experiment with that tomorrow morning. I use an organic PB that is quite soft at room temperature so I think I will not have problem mixing both after the oatmeal is cooked.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    pb or almond butter is delish. I also sprinkle some baking cocoa in, too.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I stir in a big spoon of it after it's cooked, dash of cinnamon.
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh!!! I made a post just a bit ago on Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal and Peanut Butter Cream of Wheat. (:

Standard recipe...

1 cup Water
    1/2 Oats ( I use western family whole grain oats)
    1 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    Several drops of sucralose or other sweetener *optional*

Just put your water in waiting until it starts to boil then add your oats and turn the heat down a bit. Once your oatmeal gets to your desired texture add in your peanut butter. I like to use those rubber flat spatula-like things (call me dork I can't think of what else to call it) and stir until it is obvious that all contents are evenly distributed. I then add sweetener.... and voila!! Peanut Butter Oatmeal (:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I do every day for the most part. I use PB2 and add after the oatmeal is cooked, i tried while it was cooking but did not care for it like that. I use Almond milk and a banana then a little splenda on top. I love it
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/727517-peanut-butter-banana-cream-of-wheat

(: This was my posted recipe on Peanut Butter Banana Cream of Wheat
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I add a tbsp of natural peanut butter or PB2 while it is cooking and then slice up a banana in it as well. So good!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I put peanut butter and jelly in my oatmeal. Delicious, and only around 300 cals/serving!
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Sometimes I put peanut butter and jelly in my oatmeal. Delicious, and only around 300 cals/serving!

Now that sounds good!
  • jjennasmithh
    Options

I make them with uncooked oatmeal. 1/2 cup oatmeal with 3 tbsp of peanut butter. Mix together, roll into 4 balls, and put in freezer for 30 mins before you eat, or over night. They last about 2 days! So yummy! They are 86 cal each, and 5g of carbs! :)

You can also add cocoa powder if you want to, I'm going to try that next time!