cost of gym membership?

Options

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My local authority gym is £38 per month (the closer, private one is £55) - includes lots of things I don't use, like classes, sauna & badminton courts, but still works out better to be a member than pay per session:(

Still, as I'm never home any more, I cancelled our Sky subscription which was £50 per month, so I'm saving money by going to the gym LOL
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    20$ a month, - Urban Active Fitness
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness, open 24 hours a day, to big to be crowded. With tanning and massage I pay 19 a month, without tanning and massage it's 10.00 a month
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    None. Waste of money IMO. I bought an elliptical. It's cheaper, plus it's right at home so I don't waste gas either.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I crossfit.... you do not want to know....

I know right.. :\

Anyways I pay $35 a month for classes and unlimited access.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mine is $26/month. I use LA Fitness in my area because they have many options. Treadmills, ellipticals, rowers, bikes, and stair climbers for cardio. Free and Machine weights for strength training. An indoor pool for swimming (which I mix into my routine), basketball courts and organized leagues, and tons of classes that offer a variety of options. I've never had to wait on any equipment that I wanted to use and usually don't have a problem getting a lane in the pool to swim in. They also have a hot tub and sauna for relaxing in after I'm done.
  • kinghavok
    Options
    Planet fitness can be got for as little as 10 per month but ehh

Depends on what your needs are. If all you want is access to a treadmill/weight machines, you can get that at planet fitness for super cheap.

I agree with everything you said. Here where I live they are limited in weight machines and you get 5 guys hovering around them all day and dont take good care of the cardio machines. I have actually been looking at making room to work out from home.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :happy: My Curves Membership (with a 1 Year Contract) is $37.01 a month. About $5 more to pay Month to Month without a Contract.
    Hubby pays about $47 a month for a membership with me at a 24 Hour Gym.

:ohwell: Working out at Home might be Cheaper and More Convieniant, but I just am not commited enough to do it if I am not making a monetary Investment.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Mine is £22.50 per month for the gym, swimming pool and all classes.
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses. I'm willing to pay up to $50 per month so it sounds like I should be in the ballpark. I really just need access to the weight machines because I have a treadmill at home but it would be nice to switch up the cardio a bit too. I'm not interested in classes or anything like that. I chose this gym over another because they advertise no initiation fees...I don't like the idea of paying a bunch of money just to sign up. I'm going to want to check it out during the week before I commit - I'll be working out at 5pm weekdays so will probably be the busiest time, if there's a lot of waiting around for machines I won't be happy.

I'm not looking forward to going down there today though, they have a bunch of different programs and stuff there and I'm sure they will try to sell me something I don't need/want. At least that has been my experience in the past with gyms.
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    None. Waste of money IMO. I bought an elliptical. It's cheaper, plus it's right at home so I don't waste gas either.

I have a treadmill at home which I use daily but I want to do strength training. So I need the gym to access the weight machines.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    10/month for cardio machines and weights. No classes or anything but the gym is clean and has a locker room with showers. I've been to more expensive ones with 3 classes going on at any given time, indoor pool, rooftop pool, steam room, sauna, and dual shower heads in the locker rooms, but I needed to save some money!
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I pay about $37/mo..
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I had access to a gym (now I live 60 miles from one), I belonged to a SNAP fitness. 24 hours access, just weights and cardio equipment. It was $24.95/per month. I didn't think it was too bad, especially for not having specific hours!
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I use the one at my school (which has community passes as well).

I paid 120 for September-May and I have access to two different gyms. One on the north side of town, and one on the south side.

Might want to check out work out rooms at a local college. They always have them for cheaper, I feel.
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    When I was looking for a gym where I felt comfy in I couldn't find one. So I bought my machines. So for me it is free :) But where I live it can cost between 80 Euro and 120 Euro a month. You can get a year membership for 190 Euro.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    $38. The YMCA. I like the "energy" there. Heavy weights, but no orange men.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I had shunned gym memberships for years. I could've gone back to Ballys for $99/year but instead joined a gym near my house for $70/month. I go everyday, take 4-5 classes per week including Zumba. I also pay extra for weekly sessions with a personal trainer.

When I belonged to Crossfit, it was $200/month. Now, with my personal training, I pay more than that.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    My gym, Planet Fitness, costs 10-20 bucks per month. If you just need access to cardio and weights, it's 10. If you want to be able to tan and be able to bring a guest any time you like, however many times you like, the cost is 20/month. They do charge a 60 dollar annual fee, but for me the gym is perfect. It does not have a pool and it does not have Kids Club which is why they keep the costs so low.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    $70 per month in Boston, after the corporate discount. This includes everything but the personal trainer - and there is no pool. :(