Calling all Irish/Germans

Options
1235»

Replies

• domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So hi. I'm Ambyr. (= I'm a psychology major at a local university and I'm of Irish/German decent (I have a point don't worry). I'm currently enrolled in a class called Social & Cultural Psychology and part of my grade this semester is to make an authentic dish from one of my places of origin(To be real specific, I'm actually a "mutt" I have Irish, German, English, Scottish, Welsh, Seminole Indian and Cherokee Indian in me).

I need some ideas for said project. It's not until october or november I believe but it's a HUGE part of my grade. My aunt(who is the family historian lol) has no recipes and my great grandparents(who I live with) know no "authentic" ones either.

I really appreciate all ideas/lists/recipes. Especially anything easy to cook with ingredients easy to find. (=

Thanks in advance.

PS, once I'm done with my BS Psychology, I'm going to Ireland to celebrate my graduating!...Before I go on for my MS. -__-

I am a mutt like you, Irish/English/Scottish/German/Hungarian/Russian/who-knows-what-else. Or as I like to say, just American. This perpetually confuses my husband's full-blooded Nicaraguan family. They think I really need to be ONE thing over the rest. (This is one reason why I say I'm just American.)

Unfortunately my family has been here for so long that I have no idea about authentic dishes. So I am not helping you at all, just wanted to say hi to a fellow mutt. :)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Brats & sauerkraut! Yumm....

ETA: that might SOUND like a stereotype, but I lived in Germany for 3 years and it's everywhere -- also at pretty much any open air market or festival. Delish.

You could also go seasonal and do some mulled wine & sweets...also available at every christmas market. Yum!
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Colcannon Potatoes..Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. Yield: 12-16 Servings

This is the real deal.
    Other ideas:
    soda bread
    finan haddie
    whiskey with shame followed by a punch in the face.
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Himmel und Erde.... "Heaven and Earth"....

Sliced cabbage, onions, and apples fried together in sausage grease, the sausage mixed into the mess. It is amazingly good, but very solid food for people who are going to go out and hitch themselves to a plow for twelve hours, you know?
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    I am thinking Shepherd's Pie! Yummy!
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie? (Ground beef (many types of ground meet can be used--like lamb or venison), corn, sometimes peas, and mashed potatoes)

English, Scotch-Irish, and German--but everyone's been in USA for a couple hundred years, so I don't have any "authentic" recipes.

If you were Navajo I'd say FRY BREAD!
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use for Barmbrack. I can honestly say it is divine. I just found it in the past year on the net and up to that point had only eaten shop bought ones - they are no comparison! Even if you don't do it for your assignment do try it - it is so worth the effort. Barmbrack is traditionally eaten at Halloween and items are hidden in it wrapped in baking parchment...a ring (who will get married next), a coin (wealth), a stick (my mother used a match stick - not sure what it signifies). I think there might have been a pea too....and a little bit of cloth...my memory has faded.

Halloween Barmbrack (Yeast Tea Brack) Recipe

• 700g Strong White Flour
    • 100g Caster Sugar
    • 2-3 tsp Mixed Spice
    • 6 tbsp Butter
    • 2 Medium Eggs
    • 250ml Milk
    • 2 tsp Granulated Sugar
    • 2 Sachets Fast Action Yeast
    • Pinch of Salt
    • 250g Mixed Dried Fruit (raisins, currants, sultanas)
    • 50g Mixed Peel
    • 500ml Cold Black Tea

At least 2 hour before, but preferably overnight, soak your fruit and mixed peel in 500ml of cold black tea.
    Sieve the flour, caster sugar and mixed spice together in a bowl. Add the butter and blend using your fingertips until mixture is like fine breadcrumbs.
    Heat the milk to blood temperature, add yeast and sugar and stir. Leave stand for 10 mins.
    Add beaten eggs and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients and mix by hand or with dough hook on mixer for about five mins.
    With the fruit mixture, drain excess tea and then sprinkle fruit with the salt. Mix fruit into dough by hand
    Cover and proof in a warm place for about 90 mins or until double in size.
    Kneed your dough on floured surface and transfer to a lightly greased cake tin. Leave to prove again for about 30 mins. Preheat oven to 200C (180C for fan oven). Bake for approximately 40 to 45 mins. Check by removing from tin and patting bottom of brack listening for a hollow sound. Transfer to cooling tray.

Serving suggestions. Mix two tablespoons of sugar to three tablespoon of boiling water and mix to create a sugar glaze and immediately brush over top of brack. Best served with real Irish butter.

It's great for breakfast, tea or a snack. Hard to stop eating it! This makes a nice big cake.

I just googled the objects that are put in and got this....

Barmbrack is the centre of an Irish Halloween custom. The Halloween Brack traditionally contained various objects baked into the bread and was used as a sort of fortune-telling game.[2] In the barnbrack were: a pea, a stick, a piece of cloth, a small coin (originally a silver sixpence) and a ring. Each item, when received in the slice, was supposed to carry a meaning to the person concerned: the pea, the person would not marry that year; the stick, would have an unhappy marriage or continually be in disputes; the cloth or rag, would have bad luck or be poor; the coin, would enjoy good fortune or be rich; and the ring, would be wed within the year. Other articles added to the brack include a medallion, usually of the Virgin Mary to symbolise going into the priesthood or to the Nuns, although this tradition is not widely continued in the present day.

Commercially produced barmbracks for the Halloween market still include a toy ring.

It has been nice reading this thread - brings back some memories - I had forgottent the info on the barmbrack objects and whta they meant.
    :smile:
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Bauernfrühstück

Literally translates into Farmers breakfast.

Potatoes, ham, eggs, leeks.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    I'm 75% German and 25% French. One thing my 100% German mom makes is schnitzel with spaetzel.......... pounded veal that is kinda chicken-fried-steaked (LOL) with potato dumpling noodles. google some recipes......... those are classic German dishes. :-) I do believe I now have to get her *kitten* over here to make me some......... LOL! have fun! Auf wiedersehen
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the excellent ideas/recipes. I'm going to print them out tomorrow and choose a few!