lap band

Options
13»

Replies

• Anganiesta
    Anganiesta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No matter if you have lap band or on any diet, you should never, NEVER eat less than 1200 calories. Your body with go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight. If you stay just above 1200 you would lose just fine. Also, divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces of water a day. As you lose weight the amount of water will go down. The thing is when they say drink 8 cups of water a day they are talking about a healthy size person. Also, the water helps flush out the fat in your system that you are losing and want to lose on top of a healthy diet/lifestyle. Hope this helps! This is just what I have learned over the years.

You could also try a protein meal replacement shake a day and two 4-6oz meals a day. Make sure they add up to 1200 calories. I have noticed that I lose about a pound a day if I do that and me being 262 pounds I drink 16 cups of water a day right now.

I use Bariatric Advantage Protein Shakes. I like the Chocolate, Banana, and Strawberry.

https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/us-en/5/Meal_Replacements

I also mix a little vanilla protein into the mix to help with flavor and it is yummy.

http://www.sunwarrior.com/product-info/classic-protein/
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with the band, but this thread has been very informative.
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass in June 2008 and I lost about 125lbs in the first year or so. I've only recently started to gain some of the weight back (in the past year). It's frustrating, but it happens. I wouldn't undo my surgery for anything, and if I could force myself to go back to same diet I was on in those first few months I would (but the reason I got the surgery in the first place is because I didn't have the self control, and I hardly do now).

On the other hand, my mother got the lap band surgery a few years before I got mine. I decided against the lap band because I didn't want to have to constantly go back and get it readjusted and learn to "beat the system". Unfortunately about two years ago, she had to have the lap band removed because of complications caused by the surgery about 5 years after she got it. Her intestines had folded back on themselves and ulcerated and she developed giant hernias that they can't remove because she has a scarring issue. She's gained almost all of the weight she had lost over those 5 or so years back and is pretty miserable (and has oddly shaped hernias now to boot).

The lap band works for some people if they really learn how to change their life and don't just rely on the band for guidance, but I would suggest getting it removed when a person thinks they're in control of their eating habits.

I'd be happy to answer more questions about the roux if you're interested though.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery in May 2012. I've had ups and downs but I've never regretted it and overall it was the right choice for me. One thing I like about the band over he other surgeries is that I have no malabsorption issues and I can choose how much or how little restriction I want or need at any particular time. The most important thing to understand is this: your weight issues are in your head, not your stomach. If you don't fix your head (learn how to eat right, figure out your personal issues with food and/or overeating, etc.), surgery will do nothing for you.

As you can see on this thread, everyone has an opinion and everyone has different experiences. Also, you never REALLY know what it's going to be like until you do it and go through various experiences yourself. Feel free to add and/or message me if you want...
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    i know a lot of people who got the lap band...and they all look great..i even thought bout it myself. but i feel no point cause they still have to work out. my aunt cant eat bread anymore because they effed up the first time she got a lapband. my dads old-time friend got the lapband tightened 3 times but its like sooo good compared to what he used to be. but ultimately its ur decision. i decided no cause i feel its better to try it naturally watch what i eat (altho im not really) lol and exercise. lol plus if i get the lapband i cant drink soda or any bubbly drink =\ lool

You can drink soda. You shouldn't because it's crap for you, but it is physically possible with the band.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    No matter if you have lap band or on any diet, you should never, NEVER eat less than 1200 calories. Your body with go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight. If you stay just above 1200 you would lose just fine. Also, divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces of water a day. As you lose weight the amount of water will go down. The thing is when they say drink 8 cups of water a day they are talking about a healthy size person. Also, the water helps flush out the fat in your system that you are losing and want to lose on top of a healthy diet/lifestyle. Hope this helps! This is just what I have learned over the years.

You could also try a protein meal replacement shake a day and two 4-6oz meals a day. Make sure they add up to 1200 calories. I have noticed that I lose about a pound a day if I do that and me being 262 pounds I drink 16 cups of water a day right now.

I use Bariatric Advantage Protein Shakes. I like the Chocolate, Banana, and Strawberry.

https://www1.bariatricadvantage.com/catalog/us-en/5/Meal_Replacements

I also mix a little vanilla protein into the mix to help with flavor and it is yummy.

http://www.sunwarrior.com/product-info/classic-protein/

Lots of misinformation here. I've met a lot of people in WLS support groups who, shortly after surgery (especially gastric bypass), physically couldn't take in more than 600 or 700 calories a day. These were people who were hugely morbidly obese and being closely monitored by their docs. The weight came off fast, and as they recovered from the surgery and were able to move more and eat more, their daily calories went up to more normal levels. Personally, I couldn't eat more than about 1000 cals a day for a month after my lap band surgery, and I was fine.

Also, there is no such thing as "starvation mode."

Also, there's no scientific evidence that drinking more water will "flush out the fat in your system."
  • callistasky
    callistasky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a higher BMI than you did when I first. Started at the beginning of the year. My BMI is now 29, under morbidly obese. I did it through exercise and getting an understanding of what are healthy foods ( whole grains, lean proteins, fruits veggies) and serving size and calories ( mostly understanding that grains even if they are whole have a lot of calories). Most importantly listen to your body! I found out when I drink alcohol, I absorb all the calories that I eat afterwards. I try not to drink now.
    On a side note, my mother is morbidly obese and not healthy like I was. She is over 300 lbs. she got the lapband surgery. She had to lose weight to get it which she did through starving. She did not change her lifestyle. She got the band lost a lot of weight about 70lbs, but once they stopped tightening the band, she gained almost all the weight back. Ask yourself are you really going to change your life this time? Do you think it is something you can commit your life to? Losing weight does take time. I lost 40lbs in 9 months, but I had fun along the way. The great news is that with my body type, sure I would look good at 140, but I looks great at 180 ( I think). If you need a buddy, feel free to add me. And good luck!
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Please read my profile. I never gave it very much serious consideration. It can be done without it. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Really old post, op hasn't been active for 9 months
  • christianladybug
    christianladybug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of advice. Just want to say it depends on your struggle. I had a gastric sleeve done 3 months ago. And many are right you still have to make better food choices and you MUST stay active. This is not the miracle cure. It is however a wonderful tool for those of use that have struggled all our lives. I spent a year exercising and eating right and I lost 15lbs in year. It is very discouraging when you weigh over three hundred pounds and can't lose any more than that.

No one can make this decision for you. Research it and know what you are getting yourself into. But, remember this is a lifestyle change. I will always have to exercise and make more good food choices than bad if I want the weight to stay off. But, to me the life I am entering into is so worth it. I am eating to live now and not living to eat. And I am seeing results where as before the surgery I felt like I was fighting my body ever step of the way. Now when I feel discourage I can't go out and binge then feel guilty so stay on the trend. My body will not let me.

Good luck in what ever you pursue but just remember whether you do it with surgery or without it is a choice to make a lifestyle change which means you will always eat healthy food and exercise more days than you don't.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Really old post, op hasn't been active for 9 months

I realized this after I had posted. But it's ok...still good info to share.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!