BUTTERNUT SQUASH

Options

Replies

• wilkyway
    Options
    MY LUNCH today:

Baked half a BNS with a little cooking spray until really tender.
    Stuffed the hole with cottage cheese and sprinkled the whole lot with cinnamon/Pumpkin Pie Spice.

Second time having bns... Yesterday was a first, and I stuffed it with sauteed spring onion, bell pepper and cherrie tomatoes.

I am in love.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I boil mine in chicken broth and blend it together for soup. I add one can of coconut milk, curry powder, salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, baby spinach leaves and shrimp. It tastes good with crescent rolls and/or jasmine rice.

Yum!!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This recipe is for Twice Baked Butternut Squash. It makes 6 servings, if you need less the ingredients will need to be changed.

Ingredients
    6 butternut squash (about 9 pounds total)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat sour cream
    2 teaspoons paprika
    6 fresh chives, cut into 1/8-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs, lightly toasted

Directions
    Heat oven to 450 degrees with the rack in center. Halve squash lengthwise, and remove seeds and fibers. Sprinkle squash halves with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fill a roasting pan with 1/4 inch water. Place squash in pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake until squash is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer squash to a cool surface, and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees.

Use a spoon to scoop baked flesh out of each half into a large bowl, leaving a 1/4-inch border around six of the halves so they will keep their shape. To the bowl, add sour cream, paprika, chives, and remaining teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix with a handheld electric mixer or potato masher until smooth and well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Fill six squash halves with mixture (discard remaining six empty halves). Sprinkle tops with toasted breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and warm throughout, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve.
    This recipe made me giggle! Our butternut squash we grew in our garden were HUGE! Most of them were right around 8 pounds (I'm not kidding!). So I guess I'd probably just use one.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • yogini_runner
    Options
    Boil it and turn it in to soup. It's delish with a pinch of brown sugar mixed in it.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    OMG that sounds soooo good. Have to try it
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I just made a soup with leftover butternut squash, kale, wild rice, fresh sage leaves, vegetable broth and pepper! Threw it all together in a pan til the kale was wilting and yummy!! :)
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I make a soup with roasted butternut squash, roasted potatoes, carmelized onions-add chicken broth and puree it. Then I add a little cream, sage, and red pepper flake.

It was some concoction I made for fun and now my hubby actually craves it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Just bought butternut squash and made it the other night. I bought it cubed. Then spread it on to a baking stone and drizzled garlic infused canola oil and added seasoning. You can use a baking pan or sheet and any oil you prefer. I baked it in the oven for 40 minutes mixing it once. So delicious that I went out and bought more. The convenience of it being already cut and cube was worth the drive.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Chop into bits, spray with 1 cal spray, sprinkle with Chinese 5 Spice and roast until soft, yum!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    shredded then cooked like hashbrowns - can make them savory or sweet... or even spicy.

soften then add salsa.

puree it, then use in recipes that call for pumpkin.
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    so many great ideas. thanks
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Take the half brush it with some olive oil and a little salt pepper. Cook cut side down in a 425 degree oven for about 35 mins.

In the meantime saute 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion, with one portabella mushroom, with some fresh sage, 2 garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes (I use a lot because I like it spicy but just do to taste) Once onions are translucent set aside.

When the squash is done, flip it over and fill the hole and along the squash with the mushroom mix and cook for another 10 mins.

It is delicious, the spiciness of the mushrooms and the sweetness of the squash is yummy!

This! I've always made it sweet with sugar/nuts/cinnamon, but made a savory one last week. totally different and delicious!
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump