No I'm not pregnant!!

Options
13»

Replies

• joconnor09
    Options
    Ugh I absolutely hate these comments!! When I was still a TEENAGER working at Macy's, some guy I was cashing out commented that I was expecting. I honestly didn't even know how to respond. Yeah, I have quite a rotund stomach, but come on! My dad's rule of thumb is that you never EVER ask a woman when she's due or if she's expecting, even if she's giving birth right in front of you! It will NEVER end well. All anyone does is insult people and hurt their feelings. If a woman is pregnant and wants to talk to you about it, she'll tell you. But, man, I can't wait to get rid of m not-pregnant fat stomach! It's honestly like the bane of my existence. I hate it so much. Thunder thighs, I can handle. Thunder tummy? Not so much.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This happened to my old boss, she was 120lb and a semi pro runner. Doesn't matter how big or small you are, dumb people will assume dumb things! 3 stone is awesome!! Just keep doing what you're doing as it is obviously working for you.

I would just forget about it and move on, use it as motivation to push harder if you want, but the worst thing you could do it stop!

Ben.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    Options
    Last time I went to the dr the nurse weighed me and said, "You've lost weight - good for you."
    I looked at her and said, "Last time I was here I was 8 months pregnant. . . "
    She didn't looked embarrassed and just stared.
    That was rude.
    I had a baby and was at work 8 hours later because my hubby had an emergency where nobody showed up to answer phones at his job. It was my 3rd baby and a fellow walked in to the clinic, saw a baby sitting in the car seat beside me and asked how old the baby was. I said 8 hours and he said, "I didn't even know you were pregnant." He had seen me just 3 days before. . . I just raised my eyebrows and he said, "Well, you always wear those baggy sweaters and that hides a lot."
    It is life, people are rude, and you are doing this for you, not them. You are doing it to get healthy (do you not think losing that much weight was good for you?!), and even when you are thin you will get rude remarks on something. People that don't struggle with weight have other struggles, people that are thin have rude comments all the time and it is just life. They aren't doing it to be mean or hurtful. My Mom hadn't had a baby in 13 years when her pastor said, "I heard you were expecting?" and she said, "nope, I'm just fat." She is 5'3 and weighed 135 with just a tiny tummy. .
    Be prepared for people to make comments about your obsession with food, that they are sure you are going to be anorexic or otherwise because comments will not stop.
    But it is all worth it!
    Heather
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! Channel that anger and be more determined than ever girl!! Stay focused!
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me too! Nothing is more unnerving than having someone you vaguely know start to rub your tummy, i mean seriously, personal space lady! lol. Thankfully my colleague's maternity leave kicked in and the comments stopped but it's soooo embarassing. The only downside is that now i've lost weight i no longer get offered a seat on the train anymore!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It was the other way round for me, I was so big that when I was pregnant people didnt ask either because they thought I was just fat or they couldnt tell.

Same here! The upside to this was that I never got unsolicited advice or belly-rubbing/touching from strangers.

I see women whom I privately assume to be pregnant at my son's preschool all the time, but I would never say anything to suggest that I thought they were pregnant unless they actually said in a loud, clear voice that they were, in fact, pregnant!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I know it has upset me but I'm going to take that anger and use it to re focus on my goals and keep on losing.

That's a great attitude to have! Focus your anger about this in your next workout and you'll be at your goal in no time!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Due to gaining weight and complications from surgery that left me with three huge abdominal hernias I got this comment for years! Even people far bigger than me would say that. In March, after having surgery, I forced myself to go out for a day with my mom. I had a clerk in a gift shop say 'Oh, you are about to drop!' Even after I explained that I am not pregnant, she kept on saying things like 'Oh, you look like you are, and carrying LOW, I bet you get that all the time though. Oh, are you sure you don't have a tumor, a friend of mine had ovarian cancer and her belly blew up like that before she died..' I felt like going home and never going out again. Don't let it get you down. You are doing great!

So she put her foot in her mouth and then, instead of taking it out, continued to push it in until she was kicking herself in the a** from the inside. Wow.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you were wearing a baggy top/dress? There's a mom at my daycare who was wearing dresses that were a little ill-fitting on her, in a way that suggested maternity (because you grow into those), but it turned out to be a dress she had grown out of... While I did wonder the first few times I saw her, I certainly knew enough to not say anything. Then she went shopping, and I felt foolish (and relieved that I hadn't asked). For the record, it wasn't that I thought she had a pregnant shape -- it was the cut of her clothing and the way they hung.
  • SaraBell6
    Options
    I am so sorry to anyone who has gotten this question. People are incredibly insensitive, especially when it comes to pregnancy. They think it gives them free reign to talk about a person's body and it's just not right!!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's why i NEVER ask someone if they're pregnant.... even if it's a family member or close friend of mine. I recognize that I'll eventually hear about it from someone, but I don't want to make assumptions or cause them embarrassment if they aren't.
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know exactly!

I was at work the other day and saw one of the morning nurse whom I hadn't talke to in a while and she was like "are you pregnant?" then I told her I'd dropped 20+ pounds. I didn't let it get me down cause everyone else has asked me how I'm losing weight, but it still is disappointing to hear that question.
  • NorthwestPA
    NorthwestPA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know how that sucks when people ask me that question, in fact that happened to me today at a family gathering.

I have been working hard all year to loose weight. I finally got past the 25 lbs wall and am feeling good about myself. Today at the family gathering I was talking to my older cousin. We somehow got on the subject of menopause and getting older. I am 45 now and am having so much fun with it the big M (that was my attempt at sarcasm) After an hour of talking about female issues my cousin asked me if I was pregnant. WHAT part of “I am in menopause” did she not get? I know I did not mention I was loosing weight because I feel that is tacky but I felt like there comes an age when your married cousins need to stop asking the same questions to their non married cousins.

“Are you seeing anyone?”
    and
    “Are you pregnant?”

I felt like screaming…I am still single and just fat!
    :(
  • karabff
    Options
    I get that all the time an I am in menapause!!!:laugh: Just keep up the good work an you will get to your goal an look fab!!
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    I've been there... it is embarrassing and heart breaking... don't let it get you down!
    People who ask that are just rude and SHOULD NOT be asking, even if you were pregnant. If you wanted them to know, you'd say something.