Ladies, if you have a job interview do you wear pants

Options

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Birthday suit!!!

Hahaha no...I definitely wouldn't get any job withteh shape I've been in these last two years! I work in professional services so my interview attire is a grey skirt suit, black top, hose, heels, black purse, hair straight and up.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I dress for how the office dresses. If it is casual, business casual, business-business, then dress accordingly ~ basically wear what you would wear to work on a daily basis. Your resume got you in the door, a personal interview is just to see how you would fit-in, so dress like you already have the job. ;)
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    Depends how formal of a setting you will be. For more formal, a skirt suit - for less a pant suit.

For example, someone above mentioned a law office or investment bank. I would also advocate wearing a suit with skirt to businesses such as these - or if you are interviewing in a field known for the nice touches in design for example, go for elegance in by wearing a skirt suit with beautiful blouse. Ask yourself - how do they present their brand? What does their web presence tell me? Is design/beauty/prestige/luxury important to them? If yes, go with a skirt suit.

Or does their web presence seem a bit fun and or informal? If interviewing at a more informal place (such as IT mentioned above) or a fun company like Zappos.com or Amazon or a restaurant management position at a chain, go for a more dressed down pant suit.

^ Exactly what I was trying to say but so much better worded!

Thanks - although I thought your explanation was great ;)
  • jeshhh
    jeshhh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just got a job offer wearing a black and white patterned dress under a jacket, black tights, and silver flats. But I was going for a job in the creative/fashion industry; not sure what you're aiming for.

I recommend short heels rather than flats--I'm recovering from a severe ankle sprain (very close to needing surgery) so heels are a no-go for me for probably several months still.

But ultimately, wear whatever makes you comfortable. You confidence will shine through if you're happy with how you look and what you're wearing, and I find that hiring managers notice confidence over clothing every time.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I usually wear pants cause I have a tattoo on my ankle. I have worn skirts, but I'll wear black tights with them then.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you are most comfortable in and is most appropriate for the job you are interviewing for!

I have conducted many, MANY interviews over the last few years and have never even given a second thought to whether a woman was wearing a dress/skirt or pants as long as they look professional and took the time to prepare for the interview.
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    I dress for how the office dresses. If it is casual, business casual, business-business, then dress accordingly ~ basically wear what you would wear to work on a daily basis. Your resume got you in the door, a personal interview is just to see how you would fit-in, so dress like you already have the job. ;)

I would not necessarily say this is true. A job candidate is under a high level of scrutiny from the way she dresses on interview day to the words that come out of her mouth. What's on paper is often only a glimpse into the entire picture of what a candidate has to offer. Not dressing as expected on interview day is a very difficult impression to overcome. The interviewer(s) will focus on this above anything else that goes on in the interview. First impressions are formed at lightening speed and its about your appearance first and what you say second. If you get the first one wrong, then the second doesn't matter too much.

Dressing for success is a way of showing that you as a candidate care to compete and do your very best for the job. Showing up casually dressed because the office normally dresses this way does not convey this desire to come across as the best candidate in my opinion.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The outfit you wear should take into consideration the position you are applying for and should be reflective of the type of clothing that you will be wearing to work daily if you are hired.

This exactly. You dress up for the interview, but keep in mind the job you're applying for. I would never wear a skirt to apply for a lab position because most labs do not allow wearing skirts for safety reasons, but do require business casual for every day, so pants suit for the interview.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Depends on the position interviewing for. Remember the first impression is the most important.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I usually just wear nipple tassels and my hooker boots.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

People in my office wear flip-flops. I wear sundresses during the summer with a sweater over them (some are strapless). I would NEVER wear what I wear to work for an interview.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a skirt, pants and a dress that match a couple blazers so I wear some combination and low heels
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My dressy work wardrobe is made up of dresses and skirts (to be worn with a suit jacket). :) I find this much more comfortable...plus you can mix and match. The dresses are business-like (most are made with suit material).
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If it's law or politics (or even if it's not), there are some regions where skirt and nylons are most appropriate. Try and get in there early and see what the other women are wearing.
  • Onesnap
    Options

People in my office wear flip-flops. I wear sundresses during the summer with a sweater over them (some are strapless). I would NEVER wear what I wear to work for an interview.

Agreed. Wearing a tee shirt, flip flops and a skirt in the office right now. Not interview appropriate. EVER.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    If it's law or politics (or even if it's not), there are some regions where skirt and nylons are most appropriate. Try and get in there early and see what the other women are wearing.

For a job interview in an office (even if it is casual dress) you do not want to dress in everyday office wear. Even if you are dressed much nicer than the person interviewing you wear a suit. Always. We talk about this a lot in the program I mentor for (we mentor college students at a local college).
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you should wear pants and a jacket suite. for sure with lower heels. it commands authority and shows that you dress for the part. I personally wear a pant suite every day! with jewelry and curl my hair.:) Goodluck
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Pants, because I have tattoos on my legs.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo on my foot, so I normally wear pants.
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have stupid tattoos, one on each ankle, from my stupid teenage years, so I never wear a skirt to interviews. Now that I have my job, however, I wear skirts nearly every day because I think they're comfy. Too late for them to judge me on my tats!

That being said, I'm in healthcare, and my license is really what gets me the job...however my sparkling personality and killer sense of humor doesn't hurt. :)