Shredded Chicken ideas

Options
kace406
kace406 Posts: 80 Member
One of my favorite things to do on the weekends in the fall/winter is to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot. I get the chicken when it's on sale, cook it up according to the $5 Dinner website "recipe" and then I have shredded chicken (and homemade stock) for a few meals for cheap. I almost always make a lower cal version of a chicken pot pie (what we had last night) and usually some kind of soup.

Any other suggestions for shredded chicken? I know there are a million things I can do with it and I'd love your ideas! I very easily get stuck in a food rut and need to force myself into new recipes.

Replies

• bloomingolive
    Options
    Heat a corn tortilla, spread two tablespoons of hummus and fill with as much shredded chicken as you like!
    Either roll or fold in half and enjoy!

This has been my go-to for a quick lunch :)
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Heat a corn tortilla, spread two tablespoons of hummus and fill with as much shredded chicken as you like!

that sounds really yummy...
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/24-ways-to-use-shredded-chicken/

not all these are healthy recipes, but you could certainly change them up a little bit
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I like it kind of italian style ( I sometimes cheat and use italian sausage)

red, orange, yellow peppers-
    onions and mushrooms-
    diced tomatoes (i get the italian style in a can)

saute until desired conisistancy and then add shredded chicken.

yum
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Tomato sauce, chili powder, chilies, chicken broth and simmer the hell out of it, awesome on just about anything.
  • SBlost
    Options
    Bump.
    I love cooking stuff in the crock pot and I will be cooking chicken now too. Thanks for the great ideas!!
  • maryjay51
    Options

i eat both chicken and hummus a lot but never at the same time.. dang this sounds good
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options

i eat both chicken and hummus a lot but never at the same time.. dang this sounds good

lol with certain types of chicken or even meat i cant eat it without the hummus :D lmfao
  • easycure
    easycure Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ohh!! me me! i make a crockpot meal with chicken (that i shred once cooked), salsa, either nuefatual cream cheese or light sour cream, a little taco seasoning, black beans, and corn!!! so yummy!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just made a quesadilla from shredded chicken. I got this quesadilla mix by McCormmick and added that to the chicken plus a little cheese. You can either take one tortilla and fill it half full with the mixture and bake it on 400 for 10 minutes or use one tortilla and fill it with the mixture and put another on top and bake. For one with burrito style tortillas and made with two was roughly 450 calories which may sound like a lot but if it's the only thing you eat for lunch or dinner then it is perfect! You can also add peppers, onions, corn, black beans, avocado, tomatoes, etc to the mix to add more flavor.
  • TheTortoiseWins
    TheTortoiseWins Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Such great ideas! Thank you!
  • awwwshux25
    awwwshux25 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I usually throw some breasts in the crock pot with some rotel and then after 6 hours it shreds up easily and i use it for tacos or sometimes I just eat it plain...it adds a nice kick. I also used red hot wing sauce and a packet of dry ranch seasoning....all the flavor of hot wings and not near the calories
  • bloomingolive
    Options

lol with certain types of chicken or even meat i cant eat it without the hummus :D lmfao

I actually only tried hummus a couple of weeks ago for the first time :D
    You don't find it in stores here, so I made it at home and it's DELICIOUS!
    As a chickpea lover, I don't know how I lived without it all those years LOL

I'm very very picky with veggies so I paired it with chicken to give it a go...yep, it was really yummy!
  • TimeFourMe
    TimeFourMe Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A quick way to shred chicken is to put the chicken in your kitchen aid mixer with the paddle attachment and let it go. The chicken needs to be hot and it works very quickly. I boil my chicken. Doesn't take long.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I usually throw some breasts in the crock pot with some rotel and then after 6 hours it shreds up easily and i use it for tacos or sometimes I just eat it plain...it adds a nice kick. I also used red hot wing sauce and a packet of dry ranch seasoning....all the flavor of hot wings and not near the calories

I do this then stuff the shredded chicken into some red peppers, put a little cheese on top and bake...muy yummy!
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I just made a really yummy chicken taco soup using shredded chicken!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Look up Santa Fe Chicken on Skinnytaste.com. Yummy!
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html

Chicken taco chili.. this stuff is freakin amazing!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Add some mexican spices to it, then throw it in a tortilla with cooked spinach, and a little bit of cheese. Roll it up and bake it at 350 for 10 or 15 minutes, yummy!! I do it all the time! I also like to add some hot sauce too :)