Shredded Chicken ideas

Options

Replies

• klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree! This sounds delicious and I would have never thought to put them together like this. Thanks for the idea!

ETA: I thought I quoted someone's idea of adding chicken and hummus to a corn tortilla. Instead I just hit reply. Anyway, that sounds delicious!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to do on the weekends in the fall/winter is to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot. I get the chicken when it's on sale, cook it up according to the $5 Dinner website "recipe" and then I have shredded chicken (and homemade stock) for a few meals for cheap. I almost always make a lower cal version of a chicken pot pie (what we had last night) and usually some kind of soup.

Any other suggestions for shredded chicken? I know there are a million things I can do with it and I'd love your ideas! I very easily get stuck in a food rut and need to force myself into new recipes.

I LOVE Chcken Salsa Verde!! its sooo good!! If you want the recipe, send me a note!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump for inspiration later ;)
  • emilye72
    emilye72 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like my shredded chicken in salads, wraps (flat out light is goood), sandwiches with low calorie bread, with brown rice and beans and salsa and maybe some peppers, with sauteed veggies, or with a bit of cheese on a whole wheat crisp bread, chicken salad is a good one too I just throw some chopped onions, salt and pepper, dijon mustard, olive oil, tomatoes, shredded carrots and shredded cucumber. You wouldn't believe how yummy this is...
  • shan10
    shan10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    add to fresh rainbow slaw (shredded broccoli, cabbage and carrots, you can get this preshredded in a package at your grocery just like shredded lettuce), some chopped green onion, light sesame ginger vinaigrette salad dressing and viola! super healthy (and super low cal) chinese chicken salad.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i'm a huge salad fan.

another option--

add the chicken to some fresh spinach, dark leafy greens, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado, feta cheese, and light balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

one of my favorite salads OF ALL TIME.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Generic - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - Boiled, 40 oz. 1,100 0 20 250 0 0
    Arroz - Brown Rice - Uncooked, 1 cup 600 128 4 12 4 0
    Hayes Star Brand - Pinto Beans, 1 cup (dry), 1/2 cup prepared 240 88 0 28 56 4
    Celery - Raw, 1 stalk, small (5" long) 2 1 0 0 0 0
    Onions - Spring or scallions (includes tops and bulb), raw, 1 medium (4-1/8" long) 5 1 0 0 0 0
    Shurfine - Turkey Gravy, 1 container (8 tsp dry mixes ea.) 60 12 0 0 0 0
    Progresso - 100% Natural Chicken Broth- Reduced Sodium, 4 cup 80 8 0 12 0 4

2 each 2.5 pound hens boiled, deboned and skinned,seperated into bite size. Use strained broth to cook beans, then add rice and veggies. Mix all together and simmer before adding gravy mix. Simmer slow for a bit more before serving. About 116 cals per cup. (Even better the next day!).
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try the buffalo chicken lettuce wraps on skinnytaste.com. They are amazing!

I want to try the chicken taco chili a couple of you have mentioned!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    We had an oven-roasted chicken for dinner over the weekend. Leftovers: after deboning, boil the bones for stock (or dog kibble). Saved the meat for wraps and such.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but last night I took shredded chicken, mixed in black beans, cheese and salsa and had a "taco salad"
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my faves:

Chicken Stroganoff

2-3 Chicken breasts - frozen,
    1/2 package of Onion soup mix (I actually use 1/2 pkg due to sodium)
    98% fat free cream of mushroom soup (+ 1/2 can water)
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    16 oz Fat Free Sour Cream.

Put frozen chicken in the crock pot, top with remaining ingredients, and allow to slow cook all day (I usually cook on low for about 8-10 hrs). Once done, cut up the chicken breasts into bite size pieces (sometimes I shred it), and pour over your choice of either brown rice or whole grain noodles.

Crock Pot Italian Chicken

4 chicken breasts
    1 packet dry Zesty Italian dressing (Regular is fine but I like zesty better. Sometimes I use a packet and a half.)
    1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
    1-2 cans cream of chicken soup (depending how creamy you want it)

Place the chicken in a Crockpot and sprinkle Italian dressing over it. Combine cream cheese and cream of chicken soup in a small pot over low heat and pour over chicken. Cook on low for at least 4 hours. You can leave it in there all day. Once chicken is done you can leave the chicken breasts whole, cube it, or even shred it. I always cut the breasts into tenderloin size strips.

If you feel the sauce is too thick you can thin it to your preferred consistency with a little milk. Serve over pasta or rice.

Crockpot cheesy chicken:

1lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 can healthy request cream of mushroom soup
    1 can Campbell’s cheddar cheese soup (healthy request) it has 1/2 the sodium
    1 box of whole wheat penne or rotini
    1 cup Kraft 2% Mexican four cheese blend
    1/2 cup fat free milk
    cayenne pepper (as u like)

Place chicken in slow cooker. Season with Mrs. Dash (or whatever seasoning you like)
    mix together both soups and milk and pour over chicken and I put cayenne pepper in it as well to spice it up a bit.
    Cook on high for 4ish hours
    use fork to shred chicken. Cook pasta according to box.
    Mix shredded cheese and pasta in with chicken and serve

Pulled Chicken BBQ

Put 6 boneless skinless chicken breast in Crockpot with a little water and some mesquite seasoning cook on high 5-6 hours

Remove chicken and shred it with a fork, drain water, put shredded chicken back into Crockpot and pour in you favorite BBQ sauce amount varies by how much you want on your chicken some people like it more saucy than others, stir it real good and cook another hour. Serve on wheat roll.
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My mouth is watering after reading all of these ideas!
  • Peggb
    Peggb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bbq'd chicken sandwhiches, bbq chicken quesidilla, chicken tortilla soup, chicken gravy with meat in it over hot waffle (no syrup LOL), chicken taco salads, chicken "pizza" (whole wheat tortilla with sauce, shredded cheese, chicken, onion or same but use bbq sauce on the chicken and add red bells, onion and pineapple ), chicken salad sandwhiches, etc...
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Bar-B-Q Chicken...Chicken Salad.....Chicken Tacos or Enchiladas...how about on a pita bread Bar-B-Q Ranch Chicken Pizza
  • bakerr1975
    Options
    bump
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but last night I took shredded chicken, mixed in black beans, cheese and salsa and had a "taco salad"
    Black beans, corn, salsa, chili powder, onions, chicken, green chillies. Heat to 160 degrees. eat on a tortilla or we eat it cold as a chip dip.
  • meaganmorrow1984
    meaganmorrow1984 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you guys have awesome chicken ideas! Cant' wait to try them!!