pushing yourself during exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I tell myself if I can get through two mostly unmedicated deliveries (2 doses of fentanyl during transition both times), I can get through anything. Works most of the time.
  • divamimi09
    divamimi09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well, I do know that I grunt when i workout and when i start saying "OH MY GOD" for every new circuit/exercise I do, then I know i'm pushing myself. But i think, I'll get through this hour, or half hour....and sometimes I just work on my reps...and say things to myself like..."only 5 more push ups to go...."
    No matter what - when I push myself i do feel better....i go to the gym to push myself and feel cheated on the days where i can say the workout was just "ok".

and, PS....i've been amazed at what i finish.....i honestly think I cant but actually end up doing the hard stuff!!! :)

good luck!
  • huntclan
    Options
    One more minute then I can quit... That minute never arrives (carrot on a stick).
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I find an angry song on my iPod, crank it up, and I yell at myself! In my head, of course :-)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    "I need to pee."

I walk and I have no other way to get home.
  • nikilovesaxl
    Options
    I look at the time. So if I've been working out for say 15 minutes, I tell myself, try another 5 or 10 minutes. I keep doing that until my body can't handle it anymore. It always works :smile: .
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have to beat this.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is telling myself I will go up to the next minute increment. For example, if I am at 22 min. and I am ready to crash, I'll tell myself, "Ok, I'll stop at 25." And 9 times out of 10, the next time I look at the clock, I am at minute 27 or 28, so then I will say, "Ok, I'll go until 30." And then I'll go until 35..... etc.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that this distance is hard now, so it won't be hard in the future. Then of course, I'm usually training for something and I have to trick my mind into another increase. My brain is very gullible that way.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by "fatigue". If I'm truly fatigued from muscle soreness then I might just go lighter in weights and finish the workout. I know that usually means I need the next day off.

However if it's just "I don't feel like doing this" well then

DO IT!!!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I don't really tell myself anything in particular. Instead, I have a potty-mouthed Jillian Michaels in my head who yells at me when I feel like stopping before I'm done with an exercise.

I blame my wife's 30 Day Shred DVDs for that.
  • genetlj
    genetlj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Better to feel sore than sorry.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I sing something repetitive and run in time with that.. last jog I went on I destroyed myself by pushing through singing "this is the song that never ends"... cause it doesn't end... so I have to keep going.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Doing the 30 day shred, I push. On my elliptical, nope. I get too bored too fast and can't do it more than 5-10 minutes. Even watching tv or listening to music or something. It stinks!
  • Caz104
    Caz104 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Better to feel sore than sorry.

LOVE this!
  • ohDeeDeeBehave
    ohDeeDeeBehave Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I"m more of the "just one more - just 2 more - Just a minute more - just one more" school.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I only do group fitness, so I say "Gotta get my monies' worth!" :happy: