9 16 oz Beers

Options
sz8soon
sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
**VENTING**

Woke up the other morning and there were 9 (that I could count with out moving things around) beer cans on the top of the garbage. WTF??? I don't even know if there was more, I guess there could have been.

Back story.... Husband works weird and long hours sometimes (16 hour days)- he says a couple of beers helps him relax when he gets home late and helps him sleep. I'm not a big drinker so I take his word for it. But FFS- 9, 16 ounce beers by yourself on a Saturday night? (No work- its the weekend)

This has been a hot topic of conversation before- he seems to go in spurts. Lots of drinking for awhile then slows it down. It drives me freaking crazy. He's never been a hard alcohol drinker- thank goodness because he turns in to a complete jerk. But I discovered he had finished an entire fifth of Fireball by himself over the course of 2 weeks (thats with the beer drinking too). I felt like a parent monitoring the level of liquor in the cabinet.

He grew up with people having a drink or two every night- it's not weird to him. I grew up with alcohol being served on holidays and special occasions. He thinks I'm weird. I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer here and there- but never to that extent by myself.

Looking for other perspectives here? Major concern- am I just being a bishy wife? Over concerned? If you've got questions let me know I'm happy to answer. I'm curious what other people think.

Replies

• sz8soon
    Options
    Nobody?
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I can understand the cpl of beers to unwind.. but agree that solitary drinking in excess consumption might have underlying reasons. Sure after a cpl.. one or two more might go down just as smooth when alone..but 9 plus ..and solo.. I'd find out what's really the issue.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    **VENTING**

beer cans on the top of the garbage.

Husband works weird and long hours sometimes (16 hour days)- he says a couple of beers helps him relax when he gets home late and helps him sleep.

Lots of drinking for awhile then slows it down. He's never been a hard alcohol drinker

I felt like a parent monitoring the level of liquor in the cabinet.

He grew up with people having a drink or two every night- it's not weird to him.

I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer here and there.

being a bishy wife Over concerned

Just cleaned that up for you. Let the poor *kitten* have a beer.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    yeah, 9 is a lot. i also grew up in a family where it's normal to drink everyday. my dad would get home from work and drink 3-4 beers as he worked on his truck or in the yard. he's been consistent about this for years though, and has never really upped the amount. if you feel like your husband is consuming more and more, something might be going on. but if it's consistent, i'd be less worried.

talk to him about it but approach very calmly and don't blame. those 9 beers might not of even been his. i always pick up empty beer bottles and cans on my walks and toss them in the first trash i see. could have been some neighborhood kids or something.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_abuse_and_alcoholism/article.htm

i found this, dont know if it helps, but it might give you a better idea of where he stands with it. i think that if its not negatively affecting any other part of his life (including yur marriage) then its not too big of a problem. im a binge drinker, which apparently classifies me as an alchol abuser and i do use it as a release. its not a problem for me, but according to the definition, i have a problem. also the first enry on my most often used 'foods' is 10oz smirnoff vodka, lol. not funny right now, i know. just thought the article could help put things into perspective a little :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lesa and I am an alcoholic. I will have five years sober on Thursday, so I understand exactly what you are going through.

The only thing you can do about his drinking is change your reaction to it You do this by attending Alanon. You can not help him but that program will help you change you.

I think a lot of people are confused as to what the true definition of an alcoholic is. They come in many different forms, but one thing that is constant, an alcoholic drinks, even when concern is shown and asked not to. They can not stop with out wanting to and many times help.

I was not an every day drinker but when I did drink ,it was on. Trust me when I say, a normal person does not drink that much beer "just because". And there is a very good chance that more was consumed, but the empties hidden, as this is something we do to hide how much we are drinking.

If you call your local AA office they should be able to send you an Alanon meeting schedule. And it is very important for you to understand, this is a family problem and you can not expect him to get help if you refuse to do it yourself.

Good luck and God bless. This issue tears apart thousands and thousands of families each and every year. I hope he realized the problem before it is too late.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Lol. 9 beers on your weekend? I'm a chick and yesterday for football day, I put down a 12 pack by myself. Now, it was over the course of 6 or so hours, but when I party, I can drink a fifth of liquor (READ: in the same night, let alone over two weeks). Leave the man alone and let him have some drinks.
  • sz8soon
    Options
    I don't care if he has a beer or two or three for that matter. I'm not trying to say drinking is bad. Like I said I enjoy a few too. It's the knocking so many back your getting buzzed and drunk by yourself, that's the part I'm struggling with.

He also sees no problem in doing this when he is home alone with the kids.

I plan on talking to him about it, I just wanted to get other opinions so I don't go into it so narrow minded. I have my thoughts on it, but I'm not about trying to make a big deal out of something that for the most part is normal for some. It's just not what is normal for me.

(no chance it's the neighbors, definitely all his)

Thanks you guys!
  • sz8soon
    Options
    Lol. 9 beers on your weekend? I'm a chick and yesterday for football day, I put down a 12 pack by myself. Now, it was over the course of 6 or so hours, but when I party, I can drink a fifth of liquor (READ: in the same night, let alone over two weeks). Leave the man alone and let him have some drinks.

Ok, I can see where that could seem weird by the way I worded it. Party and social drinking is nothing I have any concern over! But sitting with your wife and two kids watching a movie is another. then continuing to drink by yourself after everyone has gone to bed.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I don't care if he has a beer or two or three for that matter. I'm not trying to say drinking is bad. Like I said I enjoy a few too. It's the knocking so many back your getting buzzed and drunk by yourself, that's the part I'm struggling with.

I plan on talking to him about it, I just wanted to get other opinions so I don't go into it so narrow minded. I have my thoughts on it, but I'm not about trying to make a big deal out of something that for the most part is normal for some. It's just not what is normal for me.

Thanks you guys!

Okay, do it your way but when you get tired of beating your head against the wall, there is help.

Trust me, you can not make him drink the way you want him to drink, it does not happen that way.

I really hope you are not one of those people that does not want him to stop and get sober because you like drinking too.

An alcoholic does not plan on drinking that much, we just can not help it. We will start out telling ourselves we want one or two but then we can not stop.

You must understand the disease before you can do anything else. This is not going to change because you want it to, trust me, there are millions of women that wished that were true, little kids too.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Thanks you guys!

First, I have to ask how old the kids are. If they are old enough to play in the toy room while daddy has a few, I don't see the problem. If there is a baby, I might have to say something.

Second, your man is staying home, watching the kids and having some beers. My father does the same and has since we were little kids. It's actually perfectly normal. You could have a man that is going to the bars with his buddies, smashing down drinks then driving home.

Third, you have to understand as someone who drinks relatively often, 9 beers probably isn't enough to make him too buzzed, let alone any kind of drunk. As long as he is not driving anywhere, I don't see the issue with that. What may make you feel three sheets might just be a nice buzz to him.

To him, it's normal and keeping an open mind when you talk to him will give you the best chance of coming to a compromise. If he starts doing things that puts him or the kids in danger, then you need to step in. Otherwise, in my opinion, give him a bit of space and go from there. :flowerforyou:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Go with your gut...if you think there is a problem then there probably is. It's not up to your MFP friends to determine whether your husband has a drinking problem. The fact that you're concerned enough to post it here already gives you your answer. I'm a recovered alcoholic with 12+ year sober and also divorced because my ex husband "relapsed". I know too well about codendency and counting beer cans and being afraid to ask but the most important thing I learned is that my gut told me everything I needed to know well before I would even admit to myself that he was drinking and using again...
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Ok, I can see where that could seem weird by the way I worded it. Party and social drinking is nothing I have any concern over! But sitting with your wife and two kids watching a movie is another. then continuing to drink by yourself after everyone has gone to bed.

Most of the men in my parents family do this, so to me, it doesn't seem odd at all.

ETA: I also have a few beers at my house by myself watching a movie or something. It's relaxing and gives me time to myself. Maybe it's just his way of having his own time.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Thanks you guys!

Okay, do it your way but when you get tired of beating your head against the wall, there is help.

Trust me, you can not make him drink the way you want him to drink, it does not happen that way.

I really hope you are not one of those people that does not want him to stop and get sober because you like drinking too.

An alcoholic does not plan on drinking that much, we just can not help it. We will start out telling ourselves we want one or two but then we can not stop.

You must understand the disease before you can do anything else. This is not going to change because you want it to, trust me, there are millions of women that wished that were true, little kids too.

^^^ she's right...
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My fiance works VERY hard everyday, and drinks almost everyday when he gets home from work. I have no problem with this, regardless of the amount he drinks, until it starts to have an effect on the quality of his life, or the quality of our relationhsip. To each their own I guess
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I mostly agree with what Rachel has posted.

:goes off to make another drink:
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I mostly agree with what Rachel has posted.

:goes off to make another drink:

Mostly?? Thats solid advice there! hehe
    :comes with you for drinks:
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Thanks you guys!

^^^ she's right...

I agree with this poster.
    He may not be an alcholic necessairly but my husband suffers from anxiety and depression and he would drink daily to help mask his issues which helped when and only when he was drinking ... the after effects were anxiety and depression that were 10x worse than if he hadn't been drinking.

I also have a friend whose mom was considered an alcoholic but in the last few years they learned she is Bi-Polar and would drink to help herself deal with the issues she was dealing with during a manic state.

So I guess I am just saying there may be things going on that you don't realize. And he is drinking freequently to help himself mask the symptons.

Good Luck
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Thanks you guys!

This is great advice! Thank you for sharing this view point. I agree with the recommendations, it sounds like he using alcohol as a way to escape from his problems or stress. It is not a social thing and may become a bigger problem.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I say let the man drink his beer. He's at home unwinding and relaxing. :drinker: I say have a few with him! haha :laugh: