Someone wanna help me with a project?

Options
13»

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hotel Rwanda:

The true-life story of Paul Rusesabagina, a hotel manager who housed over a thousand Tutsi refugees during their struggle against the Hutu militia in Rwanda.

“In three short, cruel months, between April and July 1994, Rwanda experienced a genocide more efficient than that carried out by the Nazis in World War II. The killers were a varied bunch: drunk extremists chanting ‘Hutu power, Hutu power’; uniformed soldiers and militia men intent on wiping out the Tutsi Inyenzi, or ‘cockroaches’; ordinary villagers who had never themselves contemplated killing before but who decided to join the frenzy.”

Never condemned by the international ‘community,’ the RPF (Rwandan Patriotic Front) 'struggle’ was supported by powerful western agents and institutions, including the World Bank and the IMF, who shackled Rwanda with austerity programs in perfect synchronization with the RPF assault. This led to the heightened inculcation of structural violence throughout Rwanda.

The majority of people in Rwanda, besieged by the propaganda of competing factions—a spectrum of political interests aligned with or against the RPF or the Rwanda government of Juvenal Habyarimana—found scapegoats according to their positions in society.

Economic interests predominated as a few elites increasingly controlled the life or death of the many. The rising insurgency and structural violence provoked hostility amongst and between groups, and elites controlling media outlets of all stripes began to use their venues to sow ethnic rivalry as the veneer for the deeper agenda: class warfare.

The racism and segregation that played out in the Rwanda cataclysm of 1994, where there were very different conditions and outcomes between whites and blacks, continues to be played out today.

The telling and re-telling of the Rwanda ‘genocide’ story by its very nature revolves around a system of institutionalized segregation. Powerful whites in powerful ‘gatekeeper’ positions in the West hold a virtual monopoly over the information.

Alongside of them are the select voices of non-whites who validate the predominant discourse. These ‘experts’ include Alison des Forges; Roméo Dallaire; Philip Gourevitch; Victoria Brittain; Samantha Power; Mahmood Mamdani; and many, many others.

If truth is the first casualty in war, then those of us who are lucky observers must endlessly work to resurrect it.

In Central Africa, today, truth mingles with the souls of the dead, forsaken amidst the unheard cries of some seven million—mostly innocent people—whose life on this earth ground to a gruesome, meaningless conclusion.

Hotel Rwanda is just a slap of reality in the face. It boggles my mind that we stood idle and did nothing while that massacre took place. Worst of all, so many people don't have a clue.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    UGHHHH
    The only one that's on Netflix is Crash and she said we can't use that one because she used it as an example. Schindler's List isn't even on there!(It was at one time because it was in my queue)

=/

Anyone have any other suggestions?
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The Boy in Striped Pajamas
    The Kite Runner! Absolutely fantastic book...the movie does it some justice.
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    save the last dance, easy peasy :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

I loved that movie! I didn't even think about it.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Higher Learning is on Netflix, anyone think that would work? I've never seen it. Or The Cider House Rules, never seen it either.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I loved that movie! I didn't even think about it.
    Thats what i was thinking.
    I'm assuming you are in the US, so you can relate how/ if it changes your preconceptions to race in the US.
    Possibly use he variety of dance styles as cultural influences...
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    What about American History X? Or THe Help if you want one that is a little on the lighter side!

this is what I was going to suggest.