Low carb/high protein

Options
Okay peeps, I need some advice. My 17 year old daughter went to the doctor today and they want her on a low carb high protein diet, and I need ideas. She doesn't like oatmeal, and is not a big red meat eater. So please give me your suggestions...

Replies

• jodil68
    jodil68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, protein smoothies, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, walnuts and lots of non starchy veggies :)
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You can google online ow carb diet and they will give you different food choices, but the staples are fresh veggies like the green ones, chicken breast, fish, or turkey. Some fruits, like blueberrie, rasberries, apples, peaches, plums, cranberries cause they are low in sugar, but do the research on google, youtube or go to one of the groups, they have a low carb group that has plenty of info.
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, salad with yummy extras like fish, chicken, turkey, duck, pate, cheese, beans and lentils. Tomato and feta salad, I have a bean salad recipe if you want it. I do curries of all sorts served with cauli rice instead of rice to avoid the carbs. An oatmeal is high carb so she would be best avoiding that anyway. And more nuts, yummy
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Okay peeps, I need some advice. My 17 year old daughter went to the doctor today and they want her on a low carb high protein diet, and I need ideas. She doesn't like oatmeal, and is not a big red meat eater. So please give me your suggestions...

the atkins book is a good basic book to help you understand how the diet works. How low did they want her to go? When I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance, my doctor asked me to go down to 50g net for 2 months before she prescribed medication. When she re-tested me after 2 months, my IR had resolved.

every morning I eat 2 eggs, 3-4 slices of morningstar *bacon*, and either cottage cheese or greek yogurt. For a while I did berries too ( black berries, raspberries, and blueberries...sometimes strawberries).

for lunch I do a huge salad with cheese and 2-4oz of chicken or turkey...sometimes I add a granola bar too

for lunch, I do whatever I have made for the family.

nuts are high calorie, but some are low carb.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Why are they wanting to put a kid on a low carb/high protein diet? How old is your child? I think a moderate carb diet (b/c you need carbs to function and to think) and a higher protein/higher fiber diet would be good. Look at my menu if you want. I eat about 250 g of carbs a day, 130 to 150 g of protein a day, I got in 50 g of fiber in today.....what is their defintion of a low carb diet? It isn't healthy and something you cannot stick too if you do under 100 g of carbs a day....nothing you can live with, you know? Just my 2 cents!!
  • susant143
    Options
    Get the South Beach Diet Book. It is great! Gives you an idea of meal plans, how to eat, foods to eat, foods to avoid and some receipes. If you follow it faithfully the first few weeks you drop enough weight to really be encouraged.
  • blackbsm
    blackbsm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I'm gonna do some more Internet research. She is 17, a 2 sport athlete but she has been gaining weight over the past two years, around 50 pounds. All of her blood work is great, she only drinks one regular soda per day, if she has that, the only snacks in the hoes are fruit and 100 calorie packs. I fix her breakfast and dinner, if lunch isn't at school, we pack it from the house. She has been really trying this whole summer, and she's gained 5 lbs. Nothing makes since. The doctor said her diet isn't balanced, too many sugar & carb calories (cereal for breakfast, the 100 calorie packs and juices for drinks). Again...thanks for all your suggestions. I have a feeling the next several weeks are going to be extremely difficult.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options

just curious? why only low car/high diet?
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    She may be carb-sensitive. Did they evaluate for gluten intolerance?

Also juice is "sugar water" IMO. Eliminate the juice if possible and do the actual fruit with peel when possible. My daughter used to drink alot of her calories because of juice. When she went to water only as a beverage, she lost weight without any other significant changes to her diet.
  • Earthshine
    Earthshine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love using ground turkey to make a taco salad for dinner. I use egg beaters for eggs, Ralphs/Kroger has a CarbMaster yogurt that has a lower carb/calorie content. Shrimp is another good option too.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can give her some vegan sources of protein like quinoa, tofu, ect...

Also, jw but why does the doc want her on this type of diet? Health issue?
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    carbs=/=gluten

Moving on, she drinks a soda/pop every day?? That is really bad, cut that out. Also, 100cal snacks are crappy, she should eat nuts or fruit/veggies. Try hummus with carrots and celery, it's great!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, protein smoothies, grilled chicken, grilled salmon, walnuts and lots of non starchy veggies :)

^ this plus cottage cheese (I like mine with fruit), hummus, cheese, PB2, raw protein powder (I don't use it much, I like chicken, fish and turkey). I love greek yogurt mixed with vanilla stevia and sometime PB2 (peanut powder without the oil removed).
  • sistershort1
    sistershort1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I carb cycle myself...Mon-Wed-Fri are my low carb/high protein and high heathly fats days...then on Tues-Thurs-Sat are high carb/low protein, low healthy fat days...I work out with different routines according to what I am eating-low or high carb...you may experience low energy on low carb days if you don't eat your protein. If you need any more information get Chris Powell's book-"Choose to Live". You may know him from Extreme Makeovers of the Extreme Obese...He is simply amazing...You can catch him on ABC...Good Luck to your daughter. Also my diary is open to all my friends...have her add me and she can see a sampling of my daily menus. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Sending you both flowers...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    carbs=/=gluten

Moving on, she drinks a soda/pop every day?? That is really bad, cut that out. Also, 100cal snacks are crappy, she should eat nuts or fruit/veggies. Try hummus with carrots and celery, it's great!

I wasn't saying that carbs = gluten. Those were two separate thoughts. Proceed.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she might just need to track what she's taking in. If she's athletic its easy to eat when you're hungry from exercising but teenagers eat what they want, not always whats' good for them.

I'm all for high protein but I wouldn't suggest ultra-low carb if she is seriously a 2 sport athlete. You need some carbs to exercise. I started trying to hold 100g a day but the more I worked out the more I had to move it up a bit to avoid fatigue... Averaging 130 - 180 a day on an 1800 cal diet.. which is quite a bit lower than MFP reccommends, but still no where close to 'low carb' teritory. Maybe consider tracking for a week or so and then adjust to fix her Macros?
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump... found a lot if good ideas!
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are some great protein pancake recipees posted in recipee board today.

Also, sounds like she might be high in the processed type of carbs - soda pop; fruit juice; 100 calorie packs; breakfast cereal - replacing these with healthier options might help.

Good luck!
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For a reasonably no nonsense explanation of the whole thing, I would recommend Mark's Daily Apple (marksdailyapple.com) - just ignore the links to buy the books and supplements. *chuckle*

Atkins is a good explanation of a fairly drastic low carbohydrate diet. MDA' suggested guidelines based on his Primal Blueprint book are a little more moderate - most folks will initiate fat burning anywhere between 100-150g net a day if they're staying away from processed food and grains, which may be a more reasonable expectation. I rather like the expression "replace grains with greens", which is stolen from the Precision Nutrition site. *lol*

Most "empty" carbohydrates are grain based (i.e. flours) or sugars (sucrose, fructose, high fructose corn syrup), so if you eliminate pasta, bread, candy and soda from the diet, that will make a large difference in carbs, and probably add more much needed fiber if you're replacing them with salads, fruits, and vegetables.

Going with a higher level also prevents the induction of dietary ketosis, which may be a benefit if you're concerned about things like ketone breath and the "low carb flu" - they tend to be reduced on a higher level of carbs (although "low carb flu" usually a symptom of sodium or potassium depletion and can be resolved by drinking a cup of some sort of broth soup daily for a few weeks).

Doctors have been proscribing a 30% net carb non-ketogenic diet to epileptic kids for years for symptom management. This is the first time I've ever heard someone suggest it for weight reduction in a youth though.

Also worth reading, although a fair bit more technical, is the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Unlike Atkins, or for that matter, Mark's Daily Apple, it's an exploration of the science of macronutrient processing, especially the carbs versus fat mythos.

I'm not a huge red meat eater either, and I'm allergic to seafood, so my staple is generally chicken or pork. I make salads and toss in cubed chicken for protein, I carry almonds and sunflower seeds with me all the time. I make whey protein isolate smoothies with fresh fruit and yogurt, and I eat a fair bit of egg related things. Seeds and nuts can be a huge help here, as can cheese if she's tolerant of dairy.

Hope that helps.

=Betty=