Runners where do you run in the winter?

Options
124»

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and run outside all year long: sun, snow, rain, wind, rain, rain, rain .....
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and run outside all year long: sun, snow, rain, wind, rain, rain, rain .....

You forgot "rain".
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outside 12 months a year. Doesn't matter if its 100 f, or -40. Doesn't matter if its raining, snowing, or you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. I embrace it all.

I ran a1mile polar bear run( in my skivies) on New Years in -36 celcius this year... Got dressed. Chased it down with a couple of hot toddies and then ran a 5k.

Yes, I am Canadian!

My hat is off to you seeing as you live in Winterpeg! (I lived there as a kid, coldest winters I can remember.......)

I too am Canadian, eh!
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love running in the winter! You can do really fun snow workouts in fields (if you don't mind getting your shoes wet, or if the snow is a little crusty -then it's an awesome workout and you stay dry). If you are worried about the dark, wear both a reflective vest and a headlamp so cars can see you well, and the latter also so that you can better see what to watch out for. I love running in the woods in winter -best feeling ever, and way less ice because it's not packed down like streets can be.

Some people run in winter with yak trax --grippy coils that clip onto your running shoes and give you better traction. I haven't tried them, but if you're worried about slipping you might look into them.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Last winter was my first for running outside and I loved it. I live in Northern Alberta so it can get pretty cold but it was fine as long as I dressed for it as others have already said. I ended up selling my treadmill since I hate running on it and would rather be outside. If you're somewhere cold and you're worried about the snow/ice, I used Yak Trax on my regular trail shoes and never had a problem. There's nothing better than running outside on fresh snow -- can't wait!