Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    woke up at 6 am to get ready to go to collegue (pacific time).. I used to watch the news, or listen to them, when I see one of the towers was on fire, i immediatly sat down and started to watch, when I saw the second plane hit the other tower.
    needless to say I was late to school, and i wasnt the only one, lots of students and teachers were late as well. I didnt have any class, we were just watching the tv not believing what we were watching.
    Then I went home, and continued watching tv and news for the rest of the day/week. I was actually kind of worried cause I have a friend in NY and he was a cop up there back then, I freaked out when I heard some cops have died. I started to look for him (i didnt have his number at that time), I did have his email, but I knew he was gonna take days or even weeks to answer, I was just praying that he wasnt one of the victims. Thank God he answered me two days later letting me know he was ok, but mentally and psychically exhausted, and that he was gonna write more when he had more time.
    He wrote me a loooong message like two weeks later, letting me know how he lived that day, I get the chills everytime I read that email, yes I still have it.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I was at work, and I was 7 months pregnant. I remember how quiet it was in the building that day, especially in the cafeteria where they had televisions. I remember that I was at break when the towers fell, and I started crying as I watched the live news coverage. I was grief stricken for the people still inside and even more so for their families. I was also terrified at what it might mean for our country and the future of my unborn baby.

I remember calling home to see if my voluntarily unemployed, loser husband (now my ex-husband) was watching it. He wasn't because he was sleeping (surprise, surprise), and he was annoyed that I had awakened him. I will never forget him saying (after turning on the television and seeing a minute of coverage), "Okay, so what's the big deal . . . was Chris Rock on that plane or something?" Idiot . . .
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Sat in the doctors surgery watching it happen on the TV...
  • sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was at home about to go and collect my son from nursery. (I live in Scotland)
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    In England....working in a school kitchen. Caretaker came in mid-afternoon (we're a few hours ahead) and told us a plane had crashed into WTC....presumably thinking it was an accident. Came in a while later and said another one had crashed. Finished work normal time, picked the kids up & just stood, speechless, watching the news. We held a 2-minute silence in the school the following day.
  • SkyPixie
    Options
    I was at my desk here in the UK trying to figure out why all our internet proxy servers had crashed .. then someone told me what had happened and it was the entire company trying to log on to the internet to watch the news feeds.
    Then we found a dept with a TV and were watching in complete disbelief as to why one human being would choose to do that to another :cry:
  • At home in Holland, packing my suitcase to go to a cycling tournament. I could'nt believe what I was seeing and only called my mom who was downstairs when the second plane hit.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was a senior in high school, and I recall being awakened early by my mother who dragged me out of bed to see the news. It was all rather confusing to me since I was still waking up. I remember specifically the images of the smoke from the buildings on the television and being told that the Pentagon was hit. I honestly wasn't that surprised. While it breaks my heart that many were lost that day...I have my reasons to believe why it really happened and who did it.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am from England and I was a trained nurse working nights so I was sleeping (3pm ish here), hubby woke me up to show me

the news as he couldn't bear to watch it alone, most surreal day of my life and that nights shift was so quiet as though no-one

wanted to make any noise or fuss.

R.I.P. to those that died and my thoughts are with the families, survivors and emergency service personnel this morning.

martyx
  • Happybunny37
    Happybunny37 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Serving my country in the U.S Navy and proud to be doing this for last 15 1/2 years!!!
    :flowerforyou:
    Today just makes me reminds why we do what we do. Thank you to all who serve past and present!!
  • Goonygugu
    Options
    I live is South Africa... I am sure just about everyone in the world can tell you where they were and what they were doing when this tradegy took place.

I was working in a hotel in the midlands and were had just finished with lunch and were setting up for the arrival of some guests. It was sleeting outside and I was making a fire in the bar area.

I will never forget how sad I felt watching what happened. The guests that checked in sat in the bar with us that night and insisted that we all have dinner there with them. (They were from the UK) and just as saddened by the events.
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Serving my country in the U.S Navy and proud to be doing this for last 15 1/2 years!!!
    :flowerforyou:
    Today just makes me reminds why we do what we do. Thank you to all who serve past and present!!

hear, hear. thank you for your service, from the bottom of my heart.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was on annual leave back home in the UK from my job as cabin crew for a middle eastern airline. A friend and went into a pub for something to eat and there was a TV on the bar and everyone was stood watching it, which we thought was odd. So we went to see what they were watching and it looked like they were watching a Bruce Willis action movie or something, and then we realised it was the news and it was real. No-one was speaking, everyone had a look of horror and disbelief on their faces.

Bless the victims and their families and may the fallen rest in peace.
  • KarenLamyman
    Options
    I'd just come out of hospital after being in a week having my son, we'd just gone to the park for some fresh air when we heard. :cry:
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had just got picked up from school by my dad in his car, and he was listening to it on the radio. I couldn't grasp the magnitude of the situation since I was 14, it was in America (I'm in the UK) and I didn't really know any better, I just thought it was something my dad was 'interested' in hearing. On the drive home we listened to the news on the radio. It was until I got home and saw the news on the TV and actually witnessed the destruction that had happened/was happening that I realised how bad it was.

I will never forget that day! Just as I will never forget the day of Princess Diana, I slept in my sisters room the night before because I had a 'bad feeling' woke up the next day to see it everywhere on TV. Weird.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was 13. I had just gotten home from school (I live in the Netherlands) turned on the tv and it was on every channel. I called my mum and dad who were working to turn on the tv. They couldn't believe it either.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I had just woken up, Turned on the TV putting fox news on for background noise, saw the footage of the first tower on fire, thought how weird. Then saw the second plane hit and I knew this was not good. I sat on the couch the rest of the day watching the whole thing.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was on my last ever graduation parade as a RAF drill instructor. I was meeting and greeting parents and family of the new entrants when the news came through. We put the large screen TV on and everybody, about 200 people in total, gathered around and watched in silence.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Was at home after school. Dad called asking for my mother and he was frantic. We were living in France at the time. I was told to go get her immediately.
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was in college, living with my best friend, when I woke up for my first class. We sat silence as we watched. I walked to class, the professor turned on the TV and cancelled class....The rest of the days classes were cancelled also. The days following I decided when I graduated the following year I wanted to become a Police Officer.