Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    When all the major events of 9/11 were going on, I was asleep. I was a college student at a college in the Western United States. The time difference explains it all.

I woke up at 7:25 AM for an 8 AM class. I made my way to class and people seemed to know the news in 8 AM class. There seemed to be a bit of confusion in that class.

My second class of the day was at 1 PM (4 PM Eastern, so many hours after it had all happened). That class had a scheduled test in it that day, and the professor did not consider 9/11 to be a legit excuse for postponing the test. I didn't do well on that test, but I am not sure that 9/11 profoundly impacted my test performance. That particular professor was rough on the GPA. I got a C in that class.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    I was in 11th grade choir class.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I was at work, a friend called to tell me about the first plane hitting the tower. I quickly turned on the TV, and saw the second plane hit. I will never forget that day.
  • almart007
    almart007 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was driving to a different office in Mobile, Al. to teach an adult GED class. It was a beatiful day had the top down on my car enjoying the weather when the news came over the radio. By the time i had arrived at my location the second plane hit the WTC. By that time it was confrimed that America was being attacked.
  • oheather
    Options
    i was taking my daycare kids for a walk. we walked passed the barber shop like we did everyday and he came running out to tell us.
  • ahartery9891
    ahartery9891 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was in grade school, mom came to pick me up for a dentist apt and asked if I had heard about the airplanes. She kept me home for lunch and we watched the news. I came back to a recess at school and started telling my friends - they all thought I was crazy. We then watched the news all afternoon.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    In class. My teacher had written the date on the board that morning and said "Oh, it's emergency day!". An hour later someone ran into the classroom to tell us to turn on the news, and we spent the rest of the day watching. They didn't send anyone home but school was canceled, we just were allowed to find our friends and check in to a classroom to watch. I remember later that day being home watching the news when my mom walked in and our eyes met and we didn't need to talk, there was just nothing to say.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Sitting on my dad's bed waiting for him to finish getting ready so he could take me to school. I was watching the news he had on when the second plane hit the tower. I wasn't quite sure what was going on (I was 10), but I knew it wasn't good. Later that day my mom picked me up early from school and took me home.
  • AmyEE77
    Options
    I had my 1 year old with me. Just had bathed her and a friend called to say there was a plane that crashed into the first tower. I thought it was a joke and asked what was her punchline? She told me to turn on CNN and we watched the second plane crash into the tower. It was surreal. The news said all flights were haulted until further notice, but we lived next to an airforce base in Trenton, Ontario and the planes were patrolling the sky. It was a day I will never forget.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    First week as a freshman in college, I had just woken up. I had the radio on (as my alarm) and couldn't quite figure out what they were talking about but knew something was going on. Turned on the television to CNN just as the second plane hit. Then went to class where we watched the towers burning on the giant screen in the lecture hall. The prof couldn't get the sound to work. It was surreal then, and still is now...
  • asprague917
    Options
    in 7th grade, dont remember which class exactly, but the principle wouldnt let the teachers turn on the radios or tvs, he didnt want any of us kids scared and for our parents to explain what happened. but my math teacher had a radio turned on and was explaining to us what happened later that afternoon.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    In bed in North Idaho. My Mom came and woke me up and said I need to come see the news. The US was being attacked. I sat on the floor in front of the TV ALL day....and shed many, many tears!
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It was my day to sleep in, because class didn't start until noon that day for me. I woke up around 10 am to turn on my TV shows and couldn't figure out why all my shows weren't on. I ran into the hallway at the dorms to figure out what was going on. The girls across the hall had to fill me in on what was going on.

I remember we watched for a bit till I got a call from some friends and we went and sat in line at the gas station for an hour to get gas. Why? I don't know.

The teachers tried to make us go to class that day but everyone in my class refused. I spent the day watching TV at a friends house. It was just stunned at what happened.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Sitting in class. It started in my European History class, which was First Period. By the time we got to second period, the school was on lock down. We spent the entire day in the same classroom, watching the news coverage. I remember everyone being in shock for days afterwards, watching the news to see if there were any survivors.

Woke up to my aunt screaming on the phone saying that the first of the towers are under attack (She lives in PA) and watched the new of of the second tower in Social Studies class and it was supposed to be my 8th grade trip to Washington DC... :sad: I even saved money for goodies....
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I remember I was driving home from dropping my daughter off at school. The radio station crew had a NY tv station turned on and heard from them that first plane hit the tower. When I got home I turned on the news. I just remember thinking, they cannot be serious. This cannot be real. As I was watching the news and talking to my Mom who was at work and had no clue what was going on I saw the second plane hit WTC. I was still in shock because I kept thinking they were replaying the first plane's impact. I spent the day online messaging with friends in NY to make sure everyone was okay and just watching the news. I so wished I was back home in NY and doing something to help. I cried a lot that day and still do every year on the anniversary.
  • Mctree20
    Options
    Sat at a cafe in Bahrain. I remember getting the phone call then realising how quiet the streets were.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I was on my way back to Utah from our road trip back east. we spent a week in DC and then played in Philly. we were supposed to go to Boston and then go back down and spend a week in NYC. my brother was also in NYC with his wife. we both decided to leave and head home early. we skipped Boston and spent a couple days in New York and then drove home. the attacks happened the morning we were going to see Mt Rushmore.

If we stuck with our original plans we would have been in NYC when they attacked and my brother would have been flying out of NYC that morning.
  • branflake6
    Options
    I had just taken my daughter to 1st grade came home and had just fallen back to sleep when for some reason I woke up and turned on the tv. I thought it was a movie or something at 1st. I just didn't think it could be real. I watched the 2nd plane hit and felt such sadness and panic. I went to get my daughter from school. Everyone everywhere was so sad and quiet. I know people who knew people who were in NYC that day and no one could get ahold of anyone because all phone circuits were busy.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I was in Mrs. Armour's fifth grade class at Lula Elementary. She made us write an essay about where we were on 9/11/2001 and my dad still has it in his "files" to this day. We didn't do anything else that day except watch the news. Lunch was ate in classroom; parents picked their kids up.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade. I was reading a book (NOTHING could tear it away from me--even walking) and I only remember looking up at hearing everyone was being sent home. I looked at my teacher and saw she was crying--i was most shocked at that, my hardass, evil teacher crying!--as she watched the news.

I never really understood the impact it had on people, until my 12th grade government class 10 years later. we watched an unedited movie....you could hear the bodies hitting the buildings, the ground, as the firefighters were inside the 2nd tower trying to help people.....then, I think it finally hit me.