Where were you 11 yrs ago today 9-11

Options

Replies

• dodihere
    Options
    I work downtown in Tulsa. I heard about the first attack and we logged on the internet. Then the next plane hit. I remember saying to my supervisor we are being attacked if another plane goes down I am going home - I am not sure what is happening but I refuse to die at work, I'd rather be home with my kids and there is no telling what cities are being hit, especially with OKC recently being bombed. I left when the plane in PA went down. But half of the downtown offices closed that day. I cried all night.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Nine months pregnant with my first child. A child I had moved heaven and earth to have. My blood pressure skyrocketed and I was put on bedrest and forbiden to watch tv. Horrifying day, just horrifying. Every year I sit my children down and discuss it with them. I have shown them pictures, I want them to understand the kind of country we live in, the kind of heros that live here and the kind of cowards who attack us. And they do understand.

God bless the heros of that day.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Working in a dental office. As it was 11 years ago, I was manually processing x-rays on the machine that was situated right next to the dentist's office. Everyone had crowded around the door and were watching a little tv he had in there that normally showed how stocks were trading. I shifted my head to see what they were looking at and saw the smoke rising out of the buildings. All I could think was "holy hell! that is not an air-traffic control problem!!!!" (like the news agency was speculating). My shift ended at noon and as I was driving home I just kept looking up at the beautiful blue sky thinking "it seems so quite".
  • martoosha
    Options
    Late for my first period of grade 11 and stuck in the hallway as tv sets were being wheeled into the rooms, no idea what had happened until finally someone yelled it down the hallway at me
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to take my 6 month old to the doctor for a checkup. I really didn't want to go after I saw what happened on the tv :sad:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    In Kuwait serving my country. That was a long terrible day for me and I'm still serving today at 14 1/2yrs.

God bless you, thank you for your service.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When the event happened I was at work, my children and my now ex-wife were safe at home. I was acting nurse manager at the time. It was one of those crazy mornings in a critical care unit. We had to transfer a number of patients to other floors so that we had open beds available for special cases. Blood and blood products were really being monitored for use. I ended up working 16 plus hrs that day just trying to get things ready. It was the days later when we starting getting some really critical patients from ground zero that were tufter. We had multiple debriefing sessions over the months over it.
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was a FDNY EMS Paramedic Captain on my day off at home with my youngest daughter. I saw the first reports and thought it was a private plane and thought what a ***** of a fire but if anybody could handle it that it would be the brothers from the FDNY. As I watched the news I saw the second plane hit and then the nightmare started. I packed up my daughter and took her to my sister-in-laws and then headed in.
    Spent the next 4 1/2 months commanding the midnight EMS and morgue operations for the rescue and recovery at ground zero. The scene was surreal, sights I never could believe, smells that will never be forgotten. Lost several close friends and a few colleagues from work that day. God bless them all, we will never forget them.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Great Topic Tony. Like many others, I was just thinking about this.

I was on the way to a meeting in Michigan in the rental car. I heard about the planes hitting the tower on the radio. The first one was "What a terrible accident!" When the second one hit, I remember thinking "Uh Oh, this can't be an accident." By the time I got to my meeting everybody was watching the TV, not working, and I watched in horror with all the others as the towers fell.

I was supposed to be flying home that afternoon, but I was trapped in Michigan because of the flight cancellations and had to rush to get a hotel room. The hotels were like Rick's in Casablanca A whole bunch of stunned refugees just drinking, talking and watching TV because they were stuck far away from home with not much to do. Had known how long the flights would be grounded I would have driven home, but they kept saying the airports would open the next day - then moving the date back. That went on for several days.

I got the first flight out of Detroit for home and there were 8 people on it. When I got to the Atlanta airport it was like a Twilight Zone episode. It was a ghost town. In the hallways there were only police and military personnel and airline crews trying to get home. The hallways were empty and quiet, which never happens. It was a strange trip.

I was supposed to be in the air that day and my family wasn't sure where I was, so they had some anxious moments until I could call home.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    4th grade. Our class was walking back from phy ed, and as we were walking past all of the classrooms, they had their TVs on to the news. We got to our classroom and our teacher was crying and staring at the television.

Always remember. <3
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    In Kuwait serving my country. That was a long terrible day for me and I'm still serving today at 14 1/2yrs.

thank you for your service and to everyone that was and still is...

my son turned 2 that day and I was at work thinking about my little terror and how we were going to celebrate his birthday when I got home...and all I could do when i got home was to hold him and my 4 year daughter close to me and cry and watched it over and over.....

May God hold all our Military and their families in his hands and protect them as they are protecting us...Thank you...
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    7th grade history class. We watched the news for the rest of the day.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sitting in Student Support Services with the rest of the support team at University of St Andrews in Scotland, helping to organise and co-ordinate support for all our newly arrived US Junior Year Abroad students.

Pretty hellish job to do and lots of people very upset and wanting to fly home immediately but townsfolk, staff and fellow students rallied around wonderfully to help every single one of those students.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was very young, only 13. I was in school taking ISTEP, a standardized test for my state, when the school went on lock down, no one could enter and no one could leave. They were afraid a nearby government building could be targeted. The teacher I was with didn't want to tell us anything but my history teacher, who I still have so much respect for to this day, said nothing when we entered after the test and simply turned on the TV.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was in the 6th grade when the teacher turned the t.v. on and everything seemed to come to a stop.... parents were picking up their children from school. I really didn't understand what was going and why everyone was freaking out because the twin towers were in NEW YORK and we were in FLORIDA. but of coarse, I came to understand why we were all alert!!!!

11 Years later I am in the Army getting ready to get out and has served one tour overseas.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    under the rubble of tower two. i can still hear the sound of bodies hitting the ground,, still smell the smell.... still hear the sounds,... still hear the eery silence... still feel the uselessness. ....... noone to save..... theres still so many to be saved, ,,,,,, God Bless the USA.

Bless you. x
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I was in my 9th grade World History class....once it happened, we were all told to turn on the news and we watched it the rest of the day. I remember that day like it was yesterday...
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was at work at a Law Enforcement agency. We were put on lock down.
  • sheshe2774
    sheshe2774 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow...gives me chills thinking about it
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was working at Frito Lay in Mississauga, and one of my co-workers said: "go to CNN and check the news - - my wife just called me and told me a plane flew into the World Trade Center". I checked cnn.com (when it wasn't crashing due to the load), and was immediately horrified. All of us in the marketing department ended up going into the upstairs boardroom where there was a TV, and we watched CNN in silence. We couldn't even process it when the towers fell, because it looked so much like something you would see in a hollywood movie, not real life.

We finally went out to a fast food restaurant for lunch as a group (I don't think anyone wanted to be alone just then), and all we could see was plane after plane coming in for a landing at the Toronto airport. No one was taking off, they were all landing, one every minute or so. It was eerie to watch.

We found out later that one of our executives had been in the air on the way home from Plano TX, and his plane was grounded when they shut down the airspace. He ended up having to rent a car and drive all the way back to Toronto. But he was safe, so he was one of the lucky ones.

I spent the entire day and that evening glued to the news on the internet and on the television, and I couldn't stop thinking about those people trapped in the buildings. It still haunts me to this day.