Mirena IUD and Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I went for the old fashioned copper coil. I'd rather have a period than all those extra hormones. It weirds me out... I have lost weight since coming off the progesterone only pill
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30lbs with my Mirena! I lovelovelovelove it. The only downside is the insertion pain (I'm two years in and I'm dreading having it removed and replaced at the five year mark.) I used to have wicked terrible periods that other forms of birth control didn't help, and my Mirena has greatly improved my quality of life.

Some birth control methods work better for some than others! It is so frustrating to hear people say that it is the worst birth control ever when the reality is that it was the worst birth control method *for that person.* Mirena may not work for you. Ortho didn't work for me. It doesn't mean that it was a bad pill, it just wasn't right for my body and my hormones.
  • r_33
    r_33 Posts: 1
    Options
    So this is not really pertaining to weight gain and mirena, but i've noticed that since i've had mirena inserted i haven't been able to orgasm. I'm wondering if its because of mirena or if any of you ladies are experienceing this as wel.
    Or maybe my partner just isn't getting the job done lol what are your opinions?
  • nikki6_2002
    nikki6_2002 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So many comments!!!

I am on my third Mirena and though I have put some weight on this past year I cant attribute it to the Mirena, I have been less active and eating too much. I love the Mirena!!!!! I had my first Mirena for 4 years and was slim and never gained weight. I also have serveral friends with the Mirena who are slim and have no problems.

Because the progesterone on the Mirena is locally acting, only a negligible amount enters the blood stream, it is supposed to be very unlikely to cause any sytemic issues like the pill or implant and I tend to agree.
  • nicolesalsedo
    Options
    I gained 50 pounds in one year after getting the Mirena IUD. I went from being 127 to 177 and now am up to 185! This is ridiculous! I keep talking to my primary care doctor, endocrinologist, and the OBGYN doc but no one will listen to me or believe me. It took me almost a year to get used to all the hormonal side effects from it and I still feel like crap. Horrible PMS and my breasts hurting for months at a time is not great either. I originally got it because I was so anemic for so long from heavy bleeding. So great, I don't have a period very often any more, but Im a miserable depressed blob. Its NOT worth it!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I got a Mirena for the first time last year. I was down to 58 kgs. Then for reasons of work etc I couldn't train for about 3 months, I was good in the first month and then after that started guzzling wine when I came home. Weight piled on. Blamed the Mirena.
    Really struggled for a few months but now I've tweaked diet, sorted exercise and dropped loads of weight and gained muscle. It wasn't the Mirena.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My experience is weight loss...I am on my 2nd one.

Only suggestion is don't wait for the full 5 years...I will only go 4 this time as the hormones do decrease and I become a raving loon....and my husband said never again.

Mind you this time I am cycling (since January) but that is probably due to something else I need to have checked...not the IUD.

All n all great method of BC. As well my doctor told me that if you are going to use a hormonal method this one is the best...as the hormones are not travelling throughout our entire system to get where they are needed so ...
  • aprilportillo37
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN ON THE MIRENA IUD FOR 2 AND A HALF YEARS HAVENT HAD A PERIOD FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS AND EVERY SINCE I GOT ON THE MIRENA IUD AFTER MY FIRST BORN BY C-SECTION I HAVE GAINED 30LBS AND CAN'T SEEM TO SHED IT OFF
  • nessierie
    nessierie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for a little over a year. I have gained 20lbs, and have never been overweight before. I am eating healthily and exercising regularly and I have only gained weight. And it's not muscle.

I also have had cysts that develop and rupture, mood swings, acne, and NO sex drive.

My friends have it and love it. It all just depends on the person. I'm having mine removed.
  • quickfeet101
    quickfeet101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read all the threads related to this topic before I had my Mirena removed (at the 5 year mark). I had gained weight in spite of exercise and was having alot of trouble losing the weight. I did have a quick loss of 10 pounds after switching to Paragard. The rest (20lbs) is still there. It's been about 6 months since the switch.
  • briteddieautumn
    Options
    I just had the Mirena put in last week. Had it put in day 3 of my period & it was a bad one. Period stopped asap, I have been a bit more irritated with some back pain. I am not active & sit at a desk. I am 45, 5'9 & 225. I want to loose 50lbs. I will keep you posted.
  • JulieAC82
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I had Mirena IUD in about a year. I started off at 117 lbs and NOW i am 137 and can't get myself down at all. My eating is horrible I haven't been able to stick to a healthy diet, I am so frustrated, I want to know if anyone is having any success with Mirena and is able to lose weight and get control of their diet. I never feel full, I am carb crazy and I just over eat like crazy. Someone please tell me I will be able to get back to 117 lbs and be happy again. I hate the way I look now.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is anecdotal, but I think it helps. I got the Depo to tie me over until my scheduled Nexplanon insertion. I was on the pill, but my blood pressure increased (thankfully, after coming off of estrogen my blood pressure went back down to normal), so my doctor recommended progesterone only.

The first month after Depo, I gained ~10 pounds. But not because of Depo itself, but because my eating was HORRIBLE. I had a voracious appetite. Once I realized that my appetite increase was most likely due to the shot, I pulled in the reigns and haven't gained weight since, and I'm now on Nexplanon, which can also cause weight gain, but I haven't had any. Of course all women are different, but there shouldn't be that many outliers.

When I discussed the weight gain with my doc, she said it's most likely due to increased appetite, exactly what I suspected.

So I guess you can argue that the weight gain is because of the BC, but it can be controlled if you're conscious about what you're eating and how much you're eating.

The weight doesn't magically appear. Think about it, how can you just put on 20 pounds if you're actually eating within limits and exercising as usual?

Watch your appetite, that's likely what's causing the weight gain.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues myself and the mirena is the only thing in my life that has changed. I got my 2nd one put in in March'ish of this year. I was 132 pounds after losing 78 and maintaining that loss for over 2 years. In July of this year I started noticing a change in my body and now, as of today, I have gained 13+ pounds and its certainly not muscle, That is a LOT of weight over the course of only 4 months. My chest has gotten bigger and my breasts hurt often. When I look up these symptoms online I find page after page of women experiencing the same exact things as me. Nothing at all in my eating or exercise has changed so I can't imagine that I've gained a phantom 13 pounds for no reason. I just have a very hard time believing that the mirena weight gain is a myth and just an excuse for gains, at least in my situation. As I said, nothing else at all in my life has changed, except for the mirena implant. I'm meeting with my doctor in 2 weeks to discuss this with her.
  • PHDbyEB
    Options
    I'm a trainer and professional dancer, and I got the Mirena for the first time in April. I have experienced weight gain, tender breasts, nausea, irregular spotting, mood swings... All sorts of stuff. I love the fact that it's free from "user error", meaning I don't have to remember to do or take anything for my husband and I to not get pregnant. But that's all I love. If my cycle was regular I'd definitely use Natural Family Planning.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena 6 months after I had my daughter. I had lost all but 15 lbs of my baby weight to that point (yay for breast feeding and good genes!). Less than 2 months later, I had the IUD removed. I had gained 35 lbs within that time. I know it was Mirena that cuased my weight gain, since I hadn't changed my diet or anything else in my life. I carried that extra weight for 4 & 1/2 years. As of this week (over 6 months of hard work and eating MUCH better) I have finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight again.

*Edit to add - I lost 10 lbs before I had started on MFP, so my ticker won't exactly add up to my numbers. ^_^
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've had my Mirena since March 2010 and I'm almost 35 lbs less than I was when I had it put in. I have been consciously working on losing weight since then obviously, or I wouldn't be on MFP, but it hasn't hindered my progress. The only thing hindering my progress was ME - not eating well consistently and working out consistently. When my time is up with this Mirena, I plan on getting another one.
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it depends on your body. I have a Mirena IUD. This is my first one and I had it inserted in April of this year. Like others I spotted but after that it has been fantastic. I was at my heaviest when I had it inserted and since then I have lost 33lbs. Believe me when I say I asked all of the questions I could before I got it inserted because I did not want to gain anymore weight or put anything in my body that would cause me to gain weight. Needless to say I have not gained weight, I have lost weight and I have been able to keep it off. I enjoy the freedom that Mirena provides in regards to not taking pills everyday. However, your weightloss is ultimately up to you. With good food choices, tracking, and plenty of exercise you can maintain your weight or lose even if you have the Mirena..
  • nmehelich
    Options
    I've had it in for a little over a year. I had quickly gained 13 lbs and it's held steady, despite limiting my calories. I also started getting acne within one month of getting it (at age 30, for the first time ever), and have had a constant stream of acne on my chin since then. I have also noticed a non-existent libido. I talked to my OB/GYN about it. She said that about 5-10% of people who get Mirena have a hormone imbalance from it. This can cause all of those things. I'll be getting it out very soon. So, while most people won't have issues, some will. Those who do, may have a myriad of problems.
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am menopausal and had a mirena inserted 6 weeks ago... I have put on over 3kg since then.... mostly around my tummy, i have noted my breasts are rather sore too like when i used to have my period.
    I exersize a lot, and havent changed my diet so Im putting this weight gain down to the mirena. Im seeing my gyn tomorrow and hope that she is going to tell me that im not imagining this weight gain and that it will settle and i will loose it.
    Im living in false hope!