Mirena IUD and Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• njnolla
    njnolla Posts: 1
    Options
    It's hard to say whether or not my weight gain is due to Mirena or not. I do know that I have NEVER had any problems with weight gain, I always stayed about the same weight no matter what I did. After my second child, I lost my baby weight fairly quickly, and at my 6 week post check up, I got the Mirena. Since that time I gained about 20lbs, and no matter what I tried, it absolutely could not lose it and I also had crazy mood swings! Towards the end of the first 5 years with the mirena, I did start to lose the weight, seemingly without trying, and my moods seemed to stabilize. I got a new Mirena placed, and then boom, 20lbs gained again, and crazy mood swings. I can't say for sure, but I was thinking because there was maybe less hormone towards the end of the life of the first Mirena was why I was able to lose the weight easier, and my moods were better. Can't say for sure. Ofcourse, Doctors will say that this isn't attributed to the device, because they are reading what the pharmaceutical companies have put out there about the device, but who is to say for sure that this wasn't the cause? It could effect everyone differently.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not for me. In fact, I'm positive Mirena does not cause weight gain. Only the depo shot has any real evidence of causing women to gain weight.
  • smjoers
    smjoers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have also gained 20 pounds in the last year since getting Mirena. I had always been around the same weight, even after having two kids. I wanted to try to lose the weight before getting it taken out because I do love it otherwise, but I have been eating fairly well and working out really hard & my weight just isn't coming off. I'm glad to know I'm not alone and am considering talking to the doctor about removing it.
  • fitnezzfreak
    Options
    I am getting mine out Wednesday. I have had weight gain, acne, fatigue and complete loss of a sex drive. I also still get my period. I have it in just about a year now. I did not experience these symptoms until about 7 months in except for the acne. That I got right away. I am a competitive athlete and compete regularly within weight classes. Weight gain is not good for me. It's also very uncharacteristic because of the way I diet and train.

What should I try next? What pill has everyone been using after mirena and also how long has it been taking for these side effects to go away.

Thanks
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had my mirena out for 6 weeks now and I still haven't lost any weight.Also I still have lactating breasts and dizzy spells.I gained about 12 kilos on it and I haven't been this big in all my life even after having 2 kids.I eat healthy and always on the go with 2 kids.I started taking multivitamins to help my body recover.
  • fitnezzfreak
    Options
    How long have you had it in?
  • galooshka28
    Options
    I had it in for about a year.Removed it due to discomfort and weight gain.
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    I tried a copper IUD for about a year, but it made by periods 10-12 days long, which was ridiculous, so I changed to a mirena. My periods stopped entirely after a couple of months, and my hormonal spots are all gone, but I do still get a bit of pmt. Neither device have made any difference to my weight.
  • fitnezzfreak
    Options
    So I tried to get it out and the Dr couldn't find it. Today I had to get a Ultrasound to locate it. The tech saw it fine so I now I have to go back the Dr for removal. What he did say was that he didn't feel that the Mirena was the cause for bloat and weight gain. He did say that he could see acne being a problem because unlike the pill this keeps the hormones it injects in the one area and not through the blood stream meaning that other birth control pills may normalize hormones levels. Its all a bit confusing to me but honestly the only change is this device. His suggestion, after removal, was not to jump right in and get my tubes tied but to try another pill such as LoLoestrin. He suggested this because he said what if I have these symptoms still after tubal ligation. So I think back to a pill it is for a least a little while to see what happens. The good thing is that it is a very low hormone pill.

What do you guys think?
  • cherrymmm
    Options
    i have had the mirena in for 15months now. being at a steady weight before. A last thing to try before a hysterectomy. i started to gain weigh very quickly. total of 15kg. other side affects i have are extreme backache, acne, bleeding, headaches, fluid retension. i dont recommend the mirena to anybody. i was aware of a small weight gain, but not this much. doesnt matter how much i exercise, calorie count, the weight doesnt budge. I'm having the mirena out in may...hysterectomy instead. cant wait to feel normal again!! DONT GET A MIRENA!!!
  • galooshka28
    Options
    I had taken it out and don't want to take anything else just let my body to recover.Let the men have their turn on contraception it's not just a woman who got to suffer, gain weight and feel unattractive . While I had mirena I felt like I was pregnant.I had cravings, lactating breasts and stomach cramps.Also my skin was oily with acne.I would not recommend it to anyone.
  • fitnezzfreak
    Options
    Its been 12 days since my last post. After the Ultrasound the Dr tried to remove it again without success because it was just to painful. In two weeks I have to go for a d & c hysteroscopy to have it removed.

My next question is for those who have had it removed how long did it take for you to feel back to your normal self again?
  • galooshka28
    Options
    It's been two months since I had it removed.Still having dizzy spells ,tiredness and lactating beasts. The weight hasn't shifted at all despite my efforts. I guess it takes a few more months or a year to get back to normal again.
  • albatati
    albatati Posts: 10
    Options
    Full Throttle Fat Loss is a revolutionary fitness program designed and maintained by Dr. Kareem Samhouri. The Dr. is featured on a number of national media outlets for his work in the fitness field. The Full Throttle Fat Loss system is capable of providing amazing results in a very short period of time. Finding a system that works for sustained progression to the body of your choosing is an invaluable find! Click the link above to learn more and start your journey to a more healthy and fit lifestyle!
    http://9a2c0wh-q6feaucc-8ceg0oy3o.hop.clickbank.net/

653958185.jpg

481502128.jpg

959304717.jpg

487525068.jpg

629159872.jpg

871801273.png

305216617.jpg

http://9a2c0wh-q6feaucc-8ceg0oy3o.hop.clickbank.net/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My 2nd one was removed in September 2013 (it slipped out of position) is the only reason.

I immediately got the shot depo...

while on Mirena and on this site counting calories (weighing my solids and measuring my liquids for accuracy) I lost 32lbs...

Since my depo shot I have lost 16...

I just find it odd that women choose to blame birth control (specially depo and Mirena) for weight gain then just go to the pill. Mirena specially is made so that hormones do not flow through your entire system. The hormones release affect your uterus only to prevent the ovulation...Depo is another beast as it does flow all the way through.

If Birth control is the issue due to hormones all hormonal BC methods will have similar effects. I am not speaking from lack of experience or education either...my Aunt who is an ob/gyn recommened both to me and we discussed at length the side effects and yes weight gain is listed but that is due to "increased appetite"...

Even if your hormones are wonky the CICO formula works if you log accurately...all the hormones due is cause increased appetite and water retention.
  • smille01
    smille01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a Mirena placed in December after my son's birth. I've lost all my baby weight plus some. Mirena's hormones work locally on the uterus, only a minuscule amount are systemic. Any weight gain over 3-5 lbs is most likely not due to the IUD. I love having birth control that I don't have to think about.
  • galooshka28
    Options
    I disagree because mirena is a foreign object in your womb and your body thinks that you are pregnant and goes in to a pregnancy mode. I had 2 children and i know all the pregnancy symptoms like cravings,lactating breasts and weight gain with no periods also tiredness and moodiness. All this symptoms are listed as side effects on the packaging but not everybody is the same
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My 2nd one was removed in September 2013 (it slipped out of position) is the only reason.

while on Mirena and on this site counting calories (weighing my solids and measuring my liquids for accuracy) I lost 32lbs...

I just find it odd that women choose to blame birth control (specially depo and Mirena) for weight gain then just go to the pill. Mirena specially is made so that hormones do not flow through your entire system. The hormones release affect your uterus only to prevent the ovulation...Depo is another beast as it does flow all the way through.

If Birth control is the issue due to hormones all hormonal BC methods will have similar effects. I am not speaking from lack of experience or education either...my Aunt who is an ob/gyn recommened both to me and we discussed at length the side effects and yes weight gain is listed but that is due to "increased appetite"...

Even if your hormones are wonky the CICO formula works if you log accurately...all the hormones due is cause increased appetite and water retention.

***insert applause gif here***
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Thank you! I'm on my second Mirena IUD, and I am losing weight just fine. When I gained on the previous one, it was stictly because of my eating and lack of exercise. I got away from BC pills because of the homones and my age and I used to smoke. The homones are so minute in the IUD that I don't see how they can really have any significant effect, and my body is definitely in "pregnancy mode" whatever that is.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had one about 15 years ago and never again. My periods stopped completley and I had all the symptoms of being pregnant, enlarged bust, morning sickness. I had several pregnancy tests all negative but the symptoms persisted. After a year of suffering my GP took it out. It was another year before I began to feel better, but my periods never came back. The GP thinks it had caused such an hormonal inbalance it triggered early menopause.