WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON ZUMBA??

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Love zumba! I am certified to teach zumba! You will burn lots of calories and definitely work up a sweat. Visit a local gym or dance studio. If you are nervous look up some dances on youtube to get familiar with the moves :)

We need to chat...I want some of the songs on my mp3 player but heard you can only get them if your a certified instructor. Is this true? and if so can you help me out?

And I love it. I go 4 times a week and have no plans on stopping. I have some songs downloaded but I still don't do it at home, it's way more fun with a group of people. My instructor is pregnant and I have to say I like the pregnant version....lol. But I work up a sweat and I keep going for the whole hour. It's an awesome cardio.
  • paintedrocker
    Options
    Love Zumba.. Great workout.. typically get 500+ calorie burn in just under an hour.. many times 600 to 700.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Ok i went to my first zumba class tonight..and the instructor said she would take it easy on us because we were new...she lied!! are all zumba instructors liars? But it was a good way..I hit my target heart rate..worked up a sweat...did manage to make it through the whole class without falling into a heap on the floor. I already can't wait for the next one. No, I doubt this would be effective as "the only" exercise a person does..but it IS a workout...and if you say it isn't..you were/are doing it wrong

LOL, you got that right. I go 4 times a week and would love to work in a 5th one.
  • miamacreynold
    Options
    I love it! I've never done the DVD's but they offer it at 24 hour fitness & my friend & I go to class twice a week. I agree with other posts that the teacher really makes a difference depending on if they are easy to follow & give good cues. As long as you are moving you will be working hard & having fun! :)
  • brooklynbrooklyn
    Options
    Zumba is great . . . if you have a great teacher. I think it is a great way to burn a bunch of calories. I get my aerobics in with treadmill 4x a week but if I could get into a Zumba class w/ my schedule, I'd ditch the treadmill in a second.
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love it and teach several classes a week. It's far more fun than running on the treadmill or using the elliptical, and I lost about 25 pounds doing Zumba twice a week (and nothing else). I've got the DVDs and the game for the Wii, but would far rather go to a class than do it at home. If I'm not mistaken, there's a new 4 disc set out, and you can find some of the music (but not all ... some only your instructor will have access to) online at iTunes.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest not to think about zumba

:laugh:

My thoughts are that it is a good cardio exercise for people that enjoy it. Much like any other form of cardio exercise.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba.. Great workout.. typically get 500+ calorie burn in just under an hour.. many times 600 to 700.

How are you tracking your burns? Do you do Zumba with weights? The reason I ask is because I've asked several instructors at my gym what they burn and they are in the 400-500 range for an hour with weights.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets the ladies to shake it is a good thing. :wink:
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!! However I only like it at a class....the energy of the room keeps you going and if your at home you can get bored...

Totally agree! It's just not the same when I do it at home.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love zumba -- but I don't do DVDs, I go to a class at my local gym.

My theory about most things is this: The thing that will work is the thing that you'll do. The thing you won't do? Won't work for sure. Although I've fallen off the calorie-counting wagon this summer, I set my goal at Zumba 3X a week, and even though I've gained about 5 lb back (bad diet! Too many cookies!) my legs and waist are slimmer, and I am definitely more toned.

I really enjoy zumba. Which means I'll DO zumba. Which means I'll get more out of DOING zumba than I would get out of not lifting heavy or doing circuits or huffing along on the elliptical.

The people who've said you have to go 3-4 times before you start to get comfortable are correct. I've been going to zumba for about a year, and I finally don't feel like a total fool. I toyed around with other fitness classes, weightlifting and cycling and kickboxing, but gave them up to do zumba, which I figure is where I'll stay until I stop feeling it -- by which I mean, when I stop getting out of the car after my ride home and saying "Okay, we worked THAT...." (step) "oooh and that..." (another step) "Yep, and that too..."
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    LOVE zumba...especially if you get a good instructor. Should it be your only workout? probably not, but hey if you're starting at nothing and this gets you moving yay!! I have the videos, I think, under a pile off dust!! They're boring. If you can find a local class that is definitely the way to go!!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options

How are you tracking your burns? Do you do Zumba with weights? The reason I ask is because I've asked several instructors at my gym what they burn and they are in the 400-500 range for an hour with weights.

I'm a little "hyper" in Zumba and according to my HRM I burn between 700-800 cals/hr each class.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I do it for fun but I also have a true strength workout aside from that on days. It's really easy to become a zumba instructor but it's very rare to find a good instructor, and that's what makes it fun.
  • yvonneW1964
    yvonneW1964 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love ZUMBA it's a fun way to get moving..It does depend on the instructor...not all instructors are equal. It seems some are afraid of being adventurous and not to confident the moves so stick to the same old, same old. If you can get one that really mixs and uses latin american ie. salsa, chacha etc with some swing it's a blast. I live in NZ the best teacher I've had was one in Auckland northshore at Forrest Hill. she had over 200 music cd she had Zumba routines for and once you got the gist of the basics you certainly moved that body :flowerforyou:
  • Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!!!! :heart: I do it live at my Curves gym!!! Its awesome!!! You have fun and you certainly burn a lot of calories!!! :)
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm actually the opposite of most people on here. I have the DVDs, and I love them, but I've never been to a live Zumba class before. (I'm not the most coordinated, and the fear of falling on my face in front of others terrifies me!) I don't use Zumba everyday, but I do incorporate them into my workouts as a fun day exercise. I highly recommend them for a fun way to get in a good cardio workout.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE ~~ I agree, more fun with people. It's like having a party and dancing. Doesn't feel like you are "working out".>~ I loved to dance in my younger years.....hours and hours in the clubs..~~ Didn't think of it as "work"
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    you can make your own Zumba home "class" by finding videos posted on youtube.. there's tons of them!
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    I love it! I got into it when I joined my fitness studio in January. I started going on Wednesdays, then added Saturdays with a different instructor. This month, they've added a new Tuesday morning class, so now I'm going 3x. I've had pretty good results when pairing it with a strength class right before it.

I do have both Wii games, and Zumba 2 is waayyyy better. i love how you can customize your workouts and even do a full hour-long class!