peeling hardboiled eggs

Options
13»

Replies

• subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Like others said easy way is just to keep some around until they are not fresh. An egg over a week old loosens itself from the membrane in the inner side of the shell.
  • CDBielawski
    Options
    Any store that sells the 'As Seen on TV' products should have those little plastic cups you pour the egg into then boil. People I work with swear by them, but I have no idea what kind of plastic it is so that might be a consideration.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    it is a daunting task!! but worth it!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I work in a kitchen and we add a little salt to the water when we boil eggs, then put them in ice water for a few minutes and peel them wet after rolling them on the counter. The sodium doesnt get thru the shell.
    Yes this is what I was gonna say. I have no problem with them if I put a bit of salt in the water when boiling them.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I always peel my eggs under running cold water, it really helps.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Put a splash of vinegar in the water. When they are done boiling drain the water and put them in cold water for a minute then drain that. Makes them much easier to peel
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Use a teaspoon to help when you peel them - just crack the egg all over and take off a little bit of the shell to get started. Then slide a teaspoon around under the shell and it usually comes away much more neatly than if you do it with your fingers.

This. I have used this tecnique for years and it works most of the time. You do ocassionally run into a stubborn shell, but it mostly works and the shells slip right off.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    boil eggs- 9 min
    rinse with cold water right away or add ice cubes
    crack eggs shell slightly and put back into cold water for a few minutes
    then completely peel - will come off soooo much easier :)
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Roll it around on the counter-top so it's cracked all over and the little pieces of shell are held together only by the membrane underneath. Then all you need to do is break through the membrane and the whole lot will come off in one piece.

We had our own chickens growing up so the eggs were fresh as fresh could be, and this was how we peeled them.