Over 50 crowd

Options

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'll be 58 in December, and it's been a slow downward journey. Every 5 lbs seems to be a challenge, but I started with swimming and water aerobics. you don't feel the resistance in the joints as badly as on the hard surface. I just am so excited to be this far down on the scale. Haven't seen this number since my 20's !!!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Doing just fine. Sticking with the plan, consistency and being patient helps. .
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 hand have lost 13# with MFP total of 27# since 12/29. It's coming off very slowly, despite that, I am working out even with a trainer when I can. I'm SO pleased, I'm over halfway to my goal of 50#.. Live is very, very good. :)
  • bluemoongal
    Options
    54 and optimistic that with the tracking tools, renewed commitment to excercise and determination I will get my waistline back :happy:
  • TITA10
    TITA10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 . I lost 30 lbs. I feel great. I stopped eating red meat . Love to walk, Zumba and my Curves circuit. We can do it ! : )
  • TexanThom
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. This site has been the best thing I have done for myself as far as weight loss. Stick with it, be honest with yourself and it will work. Good luck.
  • styxx
    styxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I found this site really helpful in staying motivated - so far it seems to be working :)
  • muddog1109
    Options
    Ditto...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    *sticks head in room*
  • nikki0960
    Options
    I am 52 years of age. My weight went up last year when I started going thru menopause. I went to a naturopath last april and he put me on some supplements. While I started losing weight ( 8 so far) I can't drop anymore weight, I go to curves 3 times per week and I have been running 10 - 15 kms per week and still nothing. I am discouraged and ready to give up. I am going to track my food intake this weight and see where i am going wrong, If anyone sees something that I don't please let me know
  • sandilee27
    sandilee27 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Almost 59 here and the weight comes off slow but I know I'm eating healthier than I was before and I keep reminding myself that this isn't a race.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That would be me!!
    Welcome
  • BobbiLynne209
    Options
    I'm struggling. I eat healthy and exercise regularly. I can't seem to get the weight off. If I did these same things in my 40s I would be 30 pounds lighter. UGH
  • moreen2
    Options
    Welcome to a great place. You will find this website a really great resource to successful weight loss and healthy habits. I have met nice, supportive people on this website. I track my exercise and eating habits. Let me share a wonderful website for recipes and portion control www.skinnytaste.com. Keep us posted.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm in the over 50 crowd and MFP changed and I think saved my life. Doing great on MFP, loss weight, off meds, eating better w/ tracking and exercising myself into the best shape in a long time. Now getting more MPF buddies to support and sharing my and their journey.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    At 62, the body simply does not recover from injury as quickly as it did pre-menopause. But I've been able to get to a healthier weight, though I am struggling with both hunger and weight gain. The main thing is to be active instead of sitting all day. Love MFP logging capacity, because it makes me conscious of my food values.
  • ByTheNumbers
    ByTheNumbers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since May 2012. Surprisingly it has not been as difficult as I first thought it would be. Focus on keeping your diary up-to-date initially. When you get use to tracking your food intake and activities, then you can focus on managing the Net Calories. Weight loss is the result of this activity.

The most important thing I learned so far is how sedentary my life was. I have dramatically increased my daily activity by walking to work every day. You should look at ways of increasing daily activity. It doesn't have to be going to the gym every day and working out till you drop. Just get off the couch and do something.

Good Luck!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I am 54 and I have been on a journey now for 51 wks, down 73 lbs. I recently began working with a personal trainer, who is just the greatest young man! Take's such an interest in me and my limitations due to OA, and I have seem great improvements since we began on 2nd July. I lost 150 lbs via gastric bypass back in 2005/2006 and maintained that wieght for a long time, but due to constant travel overseas, never got to my ultimate goal weight and then last year I had a year from *ell and gained 40 lbs. Gastic Bypass is only a tool and a huge help when you are so very large, but one can still gain just like anyone else ....It;s still very hard work, and really once you are years out from surgery, or at least in my case, the body sort of figures out what you did, and you are really mostly back to normal, with the exception that I could not eat huge quantities of food at one sitting, but I can eat a normal portion just like anyone else..... I hindsight too bad I never thought I could have done it all by myself, but that was then.... Now I am on a mission to get to my final goal weight and hope to not have to always be thinking about the 20 or 30 I still need to lose!! I have treated this like a 2nd job, really, and it sure does take a lot of work, especially in the area of food and what to eat to keep the sodium, fat, sugar, and carbs in check. Working with weights is hard for me, as I am weak, but I see improvements now in the 2.5 months of working with my PT and I hope to continue with him until I reach my goal!!! Hard work!!!

10269526.png
  • FenderGuy
    FenderGuy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm doing great. I lost 65 lbs last year on Medifast and have been maintaining for a year. I'm 56 but feel more like 36. Nuff said.
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    54 - MFP has been the best thing that's happened to me in years!