Is there a different milk for me out there??

Options

Replies

• avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Milk-Unsweetened Vanilla.....40 calories for a whole cup, and it's sooo good!
    Best stuff ever!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Vanilla soy milk sucks, but chocolate soy milk is wonderful.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Almond milk. I buy it for my green smoothies...but never even make it that far with them because my kids have discovered they love it more than normal milk.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different ones. Try almond coconut, coconut, just almond or soy!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Tried my daughter on various (she is milk intolerant) and she liked Oat milk the best. Oatley brand is available in Tesco.
  • 0namission
    Options
    I didnt see Rice milk in the post so...Rice milk!
  • Lizzy231996
    Options
    Dont worrie you'll find something
  • RachelRunner78
    RachelRunner78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Milk-Unsweetened Vanilla.....40 calories for a whole cup, and it's sooo good!

I use the above! Love it!!
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    ya there's soy, almond, coconut milk (not the kind in the cans but the kind in the carton, trader joes and sprouts/whole foods, etc carry it) and then of course babies and humans with cows milk allergies drink goats milk. i love goat cheese but i've never tried goats milk and don't even know where you'd get it.................. oh right i forgot about rice and oat milk too (since i do paleo i dont have that stuff but yes it's out there....... also i think soy milk tastes like stale cornflakes, but you'll have to try them and see what you like best. just watch and make sure they are unsweetened) good luck to you in your search! :smile:
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and hazelnut milk are my two favorites :) I could never do soy unless its in lattes or something but luckily one coffee place by me uses almond milk as an alternative as well. Good luck!
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Soy Milk, it is not good for you. Coconut milk is the best alternative milk out there. Jillian Michaels is always banging on about it in her podcasts :)
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love both soy and almond milk but as a few people mentioned you may need to try a few different brands (if available) before you find the one that you like.
  • Grohlkins182
    Options
    Just Ask Ryan Ross Or Brendon Urie They Love MILK ;D
  • NikkiLou96x
    Options
    Yes yes you will find something some day
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Start with chocolate rice or almond milk. at least they aren't white! And not as thick as cow's milk. I personally drink rice and coconut milk and the occasional choc. almond milk.:drinker:
  • Lizzy231996
    Options
    :)
  • Dollies23
    Options
    #
  • doula357
    Options
    Coconut milk is wonderful! I prefer it lightly sweetened or as a chocolate milk because it's pretty rich. The texture is more like water, though, so you might really like it. I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's around you, but they even carry some ice creams that are made with coconut instead of dairy. I'm lactose and soy intolerant and can't stand rice milk, so the recent coconut craze has been fun for me. Good luck!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk, though I use the sweetened vanilla. It's the same calories as milk but has 50% more calcium. I personally can't get used to the taste of the unsweetened. I've also found that almond milk tastes can vary from brand to brand slightly. I'll use Almond Breeze or Silk, but I prefer the Almond Breeze...can't really put my finger on why, though.

As some have said, you don't HAVE to have milk...you can get the nutrition from other sources. But if you want to be able to have milk, try some of the alternatives listed. You'll have to experiment to see which one you like. I can't stand soy milk, but the almond milk does the trick for me. I have bad acid reflux, and when it's acting up, the almond milk will calm it down like nothing else will. I even bought some of the individual serving size boxes of Silk (refrigeration is not required) and keep one in my purse in case my stomach gets a little queasy.
  • hessoftexas
    hessoftexas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This probably won't be a well received suggestion, but I've seen a large movement for raw milk, both goat and cow. They aren't processed so that the natural enzymes to help with digestion are still in it. Many people with lactose-intolerance have found that they can consume the raw milks with no problem.

I actually learned about this about 15 years ago when I happened upon an essay that a retired verterniarian wrote. He grew up on a dairy farm and always drank raw milk until he went away to college, where he didn't have the availability of raw milk. The store-bought milk made him sick, and didn't drink milk until he retired to the dairy, where he tried the milk again and it was pleasing to him.

My family has tried raw cow's milk from a local dairy and my kids absolutely loved it, but we consume store-bought with no problems.