Hard Boiled Eggs !@#$%^&

Options
13»

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    add baking soda to the water and/or vinegar, and use older eggs.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My grandfather says you scare them out of their skins.

Fresh eggs. Boil with a bit of salt in the water. Take off the stove. Pour ice cold water on them. Keep in ice cold water while you peel them. I peel them UNDER water in the pot.

Sometimes they still stick - that happens with older eggs. Not much you can do with that. I have chickens. Eggs are my life.

Yes- but LOTS of salt in the water. Cool in Ice water after they cook. I use eggs that are hours old (we have chickens) with this method and I can peel them.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have an egg cooker. It was cheap, $15 or something. Perfect job every time of boiled and poached.
  • lmarcil
    lmarcil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been told that if the eggs are too fresh, they will stick. So better off making the hard boiled eggs when they are a bit older.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I have Eggies. I don't like using them. You have to spray the inside with Pam, and where they don't go completely under water, I find the tops don't cook unless I leave them boil for a loooooong time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Sounds odd but use older eggs. The fresher the eggs the more the shell will stick.

This. The better the quality of egg, and the fresher they are, the more the shell will stick. I have read (and haven't tried) however that putting baking soda in the water helps . . . not sure how that would help but whatever. I've also heard that baking the eggs instead of boiling them helps, but I'll stick to using my old eggs.
  • robbielagard
    robbielagard Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The tip to a perfect boiled egg: Fill your pot with just enough water to cover the eggs (Water about 1/2 to an inch to cover the egg. Bring the water to a boil. When the water starts to boil, turn the fire off and cover the pot. Let them sit covered for about 12 minutes. Run them under the cool water. Crack the bottom and the top of the egg as you are running them under the water. Hope
    this helps. It works for me.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine actually rinses her eggs in cold water, puts a lid on the pan and then shakes it with a little bit of the water left in there. This seems to eliminate all the peeling as the shells break apart in the pan.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I bought this awesome product at wal-mart called Eggies. It was on tv also, but what it does is it places interior of the egg in a little container and you boil to container so the steam will boil the actual interior of the egg instead of the entire egg. No more egg peeling and I can make hard boiled egg whites. It's the best thing ever. No more trouble.

My mother swears by these!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Someone please tell me the trick to making these things! Every time I make them, when I go to peel it, the shell sicks to the egg soooo much. I know you're supposed to run them under cold water right after you boil them, and that's supposed to help. But yeah, the shell still sticks to the egg like crazy and I end up losing little chunks of the egg here and there.

Any other tricks to avoid this?

Thanks!

I run them under cold water until they're cool enough to handle, crack the shell slightly then let them sit a few more minutes in the cold water. I don't usually have a problem with the shell sticking.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I tap the egg on the counter and crack the whole shell all the way around, then I start removing the shell wherever the air bubble is. Once that spot is removed, I put the egg back under the water for a few seconds so that the water can work its way in between the shell membrane and the white of the egg. This usually works pretty well for me. Also, I've noticed that the lower the quality of the egg, the harder they are to peel. I use Eggland's best eggs or buy them directly from someone who raises hens locally and I rarely have a problem. However, if I use the less expensive generic brand of eggs at the grocery store, this almost always happens no matter what I do.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the boiling water, then I put cold water in the pan immediately when they are done and then I peel them under running cold water and the shell comes off easily.
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_perfect_hard_boiled_eggs/

This is the method I use every time, and the eggs always peel SO nicely! All the full details are on the site above, but here's a synopsis.

Lay the eggs in a single layer in the bottom of the pan, with about an inch or two of cold water over them. You can add about a Tablespoon of vinegar to keep any whites from seeping out in case any eggs are cracked. Also, about 1/2 tsp. of salt.

Putting them over high, bring them to a boil, once the eggs begin to boil, reduce the heat and let them simmer for about a minute, then remove from heat and cover about 12 min. This method works great because even if you leave them for 15-20 minutes, the eggs won't overcook.

Then remove the eggs and put them into ice water to help them cool quickly! Or keep running cold water over them until they are cool.

Voila! Perfect Hard-boiled eggs!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    So sad at all the people saying to leave the eggs till they're old :( A fresh egg is the best thing ever!

Just roll it around till the shell is crackled all over, pick off a little bit of the shell and break into the thin membrane with your nail. Lift the membrane and the shell and peel it all off together - should come off in one go.

I've been doing this my whole life and never had a problem. The membrane's the key!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I peel them under running cold water and that seems to help!
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I buy them precooked and peeled. I am hard boiled egg challenged.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well as you metion it i made my first boiled eggs last nite, best way is boil, then cool with cold water, then i got to my glass chopping board and hit the egg on it, it gently shatters and gives me a starting point to peel open!!!!!

trust this works!!! xxx