No really... I AM big boned..?

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I lost an inch on my wrist from losing weight. Before I was well into the large frame category, now that I have no fat on my wrist, I'm right on the edge of medium/large. I'm already taller than average, so it doesn't shock me that I'd be a bit larger boned as well, however I think it would only change my goal by 5lbs at most.

I do believe in frame size because my husband's wrist is off the charts. His ribcage is also gigantic. I can't imagine him at a "healthy" bmi weight for his height. Even when he was in the army he could never get down that low. So it can be a factor.
  • NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was 280 pounds, 5'8'' and now I weigh 135 to 140 pounds, I'm wearing size 5-6 pants...big boned, big framed has nothing to do with losing weight...Good luck you can look at my profile and feel free to add me.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    347bbet.jpg

Above is a picture of 2 women (the 2 standing up)...one has a small frame and the other has a large frame. Look at the width of "Lana's" shoulders compared to the other woman's shoulders. "Lana" is a large framed woman and the other woman is small framed. "Lana" could weigh 90 lbs but she would never be as narrow as the other woman because her frame is large. The small framed woman could weigh 300 lbs but her frame would still remain small.

Big bones = large frame
  • purplecharm
    Options
  • purplecharm
    Options
    This picture, while it's intended to promote being muscular and fit over starving yourself, actually very nicely illustrates the whole concept of frame size

photo%281%29.JPG

the woman on the left is a crossfit champion (camille leblanc bazinet) and is 5'2" tall and 126lb, she's also about the one on the right is a fashion model (don't know her name, not sure of her height and weight either but they're rarely much less than 6ft tall, and I'd bet she ways less than the woman on the left who's nearly a foot shorter than her. These photos don't really convey the height difference so I want to point that out)

Look at the difference in the size of their torsos, that's not just muscle that's making the difference. the one on the left, if she were to starve herself to try to look like the one on the right (I'm sure she's never going to do that though!) she won't ever look like that, she'll have bones sticking out and will never be that thin. Conversely the one on the right, if she went to the gym, she would be able to develop bigger muscles up to a point, and maybe have more shapely arms and legs, but she'll never get her shoulders or torso to the size of Leblanc-Bazinet's. Her shoulders will never be that big, because her rib cage and shoulder bones are not big enough.

Also, it shows that having a large frame doesn't mean you look fatter, but you will be heavier at a healthy weight. these two women won't have the same BMI, even if the fashion model takes up crossfit and does all the same exercises and develops her muscles to their genetic potential.

ETA: stupid pic is too big, right click on the image to see it properly, i.e. both women together

Exactly!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    5'6, currently 204. My wrist is BONEY (I have no fat on it at all so it wont get smaller unless somehow I lose skin) its over 7inches. I am big boned and I have BEEN size 10 so yes, it is possible. At my smallest (135 and sickly looking) I was a size 6/7. My goal will be 8/10 at about 145.

Ditto. Except my goal is 160 and that puts me at about a size 10 and some 8s depending on brand. Its amazing and so beautiful to me how people are built and shaped so differently.

ditto except I am 5 ft 7 currently 174 and wear a size 9/10 (some 8's). (just bought size 29 waist jeans actually) my goal will be a size 8 in all brands regardless of weight.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Why worry about a particular size ?

If you think you need to lose weight, then lose it ......

Best of luck to you :drinker:

This right here. Don't focus on a specific weight/size. As our friends at Nike say.. "Just do it"
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This picture, while it's intended to promote being muscular and fit over starving yourself, actually very nicely illustrates the whole concept of frame size

photo%281%29.JPG

the woman on the left is a crossfit champion (camille leblanc bazinet) and is 5'2" tall and 126lb, she's also about the one on the right is a fashion model (don't know her name, not sure of her height and weight either but they're rarely much less than 6ft tall, and I'd bet she ways less than the woman on the left who's nearly a foot shorter than her. These photos don't really convey the height difference so I want to point that out)

Look at the difference in the size of their torsos, that's not just muscle that's making the difference. the one on the left, if she were to starve herself to try to look like the one on the right (I'm sure she's never going to do that though!) she won't ever look like that, she'll have bones sticking out and will never be that thin. Conversely the one on the right, if she went to the gym, she would be able to develop bigger muscles up to a point, and maybe have more shapely arms and legs, but she'll never get her shoulders or torso to the size of Leblanc-Bazinet's. Her shoulders will never be that big, because her rib cage and shoulder bones are not big enough.

Also, it shows that having a large frame doesn't mean you look fatter, but you will be heavier at a healthy weight. these two women won't have the same BMI, even if the fashion model takes up crossfit and does all the same exercises and develops her muscles to their genetic potential.

ETA: stupid pic is too big, right click on the image to see it properly, i.e. both women together

Exactly!
    Not sure I buy this example. Google Matthew Mccaugnahy before and after from his latest movie. When he was ripped and muscular, he appeared to have a large frame. When he lost all the weight for a movie role where he played a cop who became ill, he was emaciated, and his frame looked small.
  • _tapleyxoxo
    Options
    Skeletons are all about the same size. No such thing as "big boned". Lol.
    I agree!!! Big boned is nothing but bull**** that big people use as an excuse to be big. I know, used that same excuse myself for years!

That is completely untrue. If I can squeeze mu wrist and feel the bone and can't touch my fingers then my friend can and her wrist is tiny, he bones are a little smaller than mine. BUTTT there are also broader shoulders and wider hips and etc. Some people do have smaller frames.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If people have EXACTLY THE SAME skeletons then how is it possible to identify male from female when fossils are discovered from ancient cultures?

Why are some women to 'narrow' for childbirth if the skeletons are EXACTLY the same? is the fat making their hips closer together?

If all skeletons are the same please explain Osteoporosis and the other skeletal disorders. By this thinking then it would be impossible to have any differences in structure at all.

Here's one from the American Journal of clinical nutrition : http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/75/6/1012.long which discusses frame sizes.

It is utterly ridiculous to say that everyone has the same size of skeleton.

I'm not saying everyone's skeleton is the same, but male and female skeletons can be distinguished by the pelvic region. There are probably other differences as well.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    zombie thread is undead

yes differences in frame size really exist. as in some people have wider shoulders, rib cage, pelvis etc than others, some people have relatively longer torsos and shorter legs.... this means two people of the same height and same body fat percentage may be as much as 30lb different in weight, before you even factor in possible differences in muscle mass due to weight training or similar.

having a large frame does not make you look fat though. Bones are solid, and muscles are solid when tense. If it jiggles the it's not "big bones" and you can always get your body fat percentage measured and go by that. Look at the pic on the previous page of Camille leblanc-bazinet... she has a large frame aka "big bones". Or look at my avatar, she's short and very large framed. Neither of them look fat.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Always thought I was big boned and that I could never wear anything other than size large shirt. Well I was wrong. I've lost 60 pounds and I can wear a medium and sometimes a small. I wouldn't get hung up on what size bones you have.. Work towards your goal and think about how great you feel!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am laughing so hard here. I am 5'11" and have an 8" wrist--without the fat. I have huge shoulders and feet, but have almost always been tall and lanky. I will probably stop losing at around 150lbs because that's where I like to be. I am big-boned. All of you talking about fat--bones and their circumference have nothing to do with fat. The density of bones is also a different thing. In this post everything is getting mixed together. I have always had a hard time finding a bracelets that fit. Rest my case.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was big boned and figured the best pant size I would see would be a size 9/10 but now I'm in a size 6 and I can wear a 4...I can even do up a size 2 but I have a muffin top...not the look I'm going for!

Don't set limitations on your success based on the past or based on things like bone structure. Once you reduce the fat you will be able to work on sculpting your body through exercise and weight training. You are in control of your own success.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    <
    I'm 5'7" and I weigh 196.

I think I'm big boned. My wrist has always been 7" no matter what size i am. I tend to carry my weight all over, so people never really think I weigh as much as I do. I have wide hips and broad shoulders. However, I'll get to a weight and/or clothing size and/or body fat % I feel good at.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Edited to add "big" can mean a lot of things. In my case it means my pelvis is wide (hooray for easy childbirth!) not necessarily dense or thicker.
    Eep, sorry that's a myth too! I have a wide pelvis. Did I have an easy labour, erm, no.... :flowerforyou:
  • Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    I am 5'3. I used to weigh 240 lbs and always used the big bones excuse.
    Despite my height I am considered "a large framed female".
    I am at 155 lbs (currently 165 because I'm pregnant.)

This is me at 155 lbs. average size of 4.

347uphw.jpg
  • Masyn88
    Masyn88 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was big boned, and would still like to think I am - but I'm not, it just doesn't work that way. I am 230 lbs and 5"9 and wear size L / XL scrubs, and a size 14 denims. (Comparitively, I was 280 lbs wearing a skin tight size 48 denim and 4x clothing) This would make you think I could be big boned because how else, at my current weight, could I wear pants that size and weigh what I do? My answer - muscle tone, healthy foods, and equally distributed weight. When I weighed 280, I was sedentary, ate disgusting processed foods, and my weight was completely comprised of body fat. Now, after many years of having lost 50 pounds, and just beginning to work on my weight more, I have become a smaller person simply because I move. I am well proportioned for a bigger woman and am quite active, especially recently having been busy losing weight. Maybe your body isn't "big boned" but just in better shape for your weight than it naturally would be, or than another person with similar height and weight as you, but less active/healthy.
  • JulieE1002
    JulieE1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used the "big boned" theory as an excuse for years! I am very wide through the shoulders, making me appear the size of a pro linebacker at 210 pounds! I am 6 feet tall and at 210 pounds I was wearing a size 20. I am currently in a very comfortable 14. My goal is not so much weight oriented as it is comfort in clothing. I want to be a comfortable 12 - I'm hoping that will be abourt 17 more pounds! Every person's body is a bit different, so the way I carry my weight is different from how you carry your weight. Keep at it girl! You will get there!
    BeforeampDuring_zpsdf500b0b.jpg~c200
  • alettep
    alettep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am not big-boned but I do know that even when I was thin, I would never get smaller than 7/8 in pants....why because of my hip bones! You can lose the extra weight but you can't shrink bone size!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!