Eat your Breakfast!!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There've been a lot of studies in the UK, especially on school kids. The kids who ate a healthy breakfast before the morning's lessons had better concentration, better ability to solve problems and more energy throughout the morning. The kids who didn't were generally less engaged, took longer to solve problems and were lethargic. THAT IS WHY BREAKFAST IS GOOD FOR YOU! Without it your energy levels will peak and trough throughout the day.

This follows through into every day life. If you eat dinner at 8pm, by 11am the next day, your body does not have the right fuel to function properly. Why on earth would you go 13-14 hours+ without eating?!

Oh, and the clue's in the name - Breakfast: Breaking the 'fast' from not eating in the night.
    Why go 13-14 hours without eating? Because the human body evolved to go days without eating. This whole "multiple meals a day" phenomenon is only a couple hundred years old. For the rest of human existence, we ate once a day, or once every few days.

Do you think it's a coincidence that people have gotten fatter over the last 20 years that society has been insisting on eating more and more meals per day? The human body is meant to feed and fast, not feed, and feed, and feed, and feed....
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Thats not right
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Why eat breakfast when I could just have a bigger lunch?
  • TauTheBull
    Options
    I am going to die soon then! I dont eat for 24 hours once or twice a week... Dang knew I should eat breakfast those days... Really thats like saying carb calories are bad lol.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There've been a lot of studies in the UK, especially on school kids. The kids who ate a healthy breakfast before the morning's lessons had better concentration, better ability to solve problems and more energy throughout the morning. The kids who didn't were generally less engaged, took longer to solve problems and were lethargic. THAT IS WHY BREAKFAST IS GOOD FOR YOU! Without it your energy levels will peak and trough throughout the day.

This follows through into every day life. If you eat dinner at 8pm, by 11am the next day, your body does not have the right fuel to function properly. Why on earth would you go 13-14 hours+ without eating?!

Oh, and the clue's in the name - Breakfast: Breaking the 'fast' from not eating in the night.

She's right, there have been a lot of these studies here and overwhelmingly the kids perform better when they've eaten - behave better too. If I had a child I'd make sure they had breakfast every morning.

THAT SAID - I don't eat breakfast, ever ;) I'm not hungry till lunchtime, and I'm not going to force feed myself and waste calories I could be enjoying later.

What are they feeding the kids in the UK for breakfast? Very curious. I just know kids are extremely hyper in the morning and hard to get their attention. Probably because of all of the sugar they consumed for breakfast. After lunch, it's like a completely different group of kids.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone already said this but here's a little something I learned while in the military.. We hear this all the time but Do you know why breakfast is the most important meal of the day?!?!

it's because your metabolism slows down while you're sleeping.. and even when we wake up our bodies don't actually know we're awake until we bite into something to kick start our metabolism..

So if you go all day without eating or eating until noon.. your body is gonna be all confused and out of wack.
    Isn't this one of those myths that have been disproven time and time again???

This! While some people thrive with breakfast others don't. A glass of water, exercise, even a really (and I mean really) cold shower will get your metabolism moving for the day.
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book that says "Do Not Eat Breakfast". If you had gas in the tank of your car would you stop at the gas station anyway? That means use the 'gas in your tank' first... so when you are low on fuel in the morning be sure to drink 'liquid gold' (black coffee) and do not eat breakfast. Your body will start burning your fat instead. Don't add milk, creamer, sugar or substitute in your coffee because your brain will think it's food and stop working to burn your fat. There is a theory for everything... I'll give this new book a try and let you know. Good Luck!
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have never seen such arrogant know it all's!! Wow so she said a statement that she heard while in the military, and it is okay to give your thoughts on it, right or wrong but to be so condescending is unbelievable. In fact some of you are almost nasty. I thought the goal of this site was to "help" people with fitness, not to be nasty. If you disagree that is fine, but leave the rest out of it.
    I wont be posting anything on here because there are so many of you that know everything and I unfortunately am not.

As for the post itself if that works for you, which I see it does, good for you and do not pay attention to the negative people on here.
    Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have never seen such arrogant know it all's!! Wow so she said a statement that she heard while in the military, and it is okay to give your thoughts on it, right or wrong but to be so condescending is unbelievable. In fact some of you are almost nasty. I thought the goal of this site was to "help" people with fitness, not to be nasty. If you disagree that is fine, but leave the rest out of it.
    I wont be posting anything on here because there are so many of you that know everything and I unfortunately am not.

As for the post itself if that works for you, which I see it does, good for you and do not pay attention to the negative people on here.
    Good luck!
    Irony is ironic.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Good luck!
    Irony is ironic.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

A study such as that simply suggests that children, who are growing constantly, need their food fairly frequently. It does not necessarily carry over to adults at all as our bodies are no longer growing and our hormonal patterns are quite different than that of a child.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until noon, is it bad ?

Yes, it's bad.
    You're probably already dead but your body hasn't noticed because you didn't eat your Weetbix!!

PS. I usually choose to eat breakfast, but I know I'm not going to keel over if I don't.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I love how you can know the tone of a persons written post.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

100% of people who drink water die.

Therefore water kills people.

It couldn't possibly be the case that there is a pervasive myth that breakfast is essential, so most of the doting parents make their kid eat breakfast and there truly is a correlation between doting parents and the kid being happy and well adjusted.

ETA: and even if I accepted a causative link, as others have said, adults aren't kids. Although I never had breakfast as a kid either, never got in trouble, straight As, scholarship to a good school, currently a grad student at a great university... Just think how awesome I could have been if I did have breakfast!

My body has more than enough fuel to last through days without food. If it didn't, I wouldn't need to lose weight.

Some people aren't hungry in the morning. I've always been one of them. Eat when you're hungry
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    "There seems to be a lot of recent posts with the fallacy that meal frequency boosts metabolic rate, all other conditions being held equal.
    I wanted to make a separate post about this and provide some information in an effort to help dispel this.

I'll try and keep this short.

When you eat, you expend energy from your body processing/breaking down the food. This energy expenditure is called Thermic Effect of Feeding or Thermic Effect of Food (TEF) and is also sometimes called Diet Induced Thermogensis (DIT).

So, if eating causes us to expend energy, then clearly eating more often makes this happen more often and we "kickstart our metabolism", right?

Wrong.

TEF is based on total caloric intakes and to a lesser extent, macronutrient composition (P/F/CHO require varying amounts of energy to process).

And since I firmly believe that choosing reliable resources is an important part of self-educating, I'm going to provide separate studies and reviews from multiple, reliable and tried-and-true sources.

Steve Troutman occasionally posts on MFP, helping people out by providing great information. His website is www.body-improvements.com and I'd like to specifically direct you here, as his explanation of this is stellar:

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#frequency

To quote Steve:
    Quite often we hear clients say something like, “Man! I’m so frustrated. I simply can’t stick to eating 6 meals per day and I know it’s hindering my fat loss.
    Unfortunately for the individuals who fall victim to this myth, it’s not something that’s supported scientifically.

Steve then goes on to explain things in detail.
    I would urge people to read the rest of his articles on his website as well. It is packed with great information.

Martin Berkhan is the originator of the Leangains protocol for Intermittent Fasting (not the first IFer, but probably the most notorious and reliable now) For Martin Berkhan's take on this topic:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

See myth #1 specifically.

Lyle McDonald has some great information on it here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

The take home from Lyle's article, in terms of practicality and application, would probably be this quote, this is Lyle here:

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Or in other words, personal preference.

Some peer reviewed studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17483007

And it would be wrong of me to exclude Alan Aragon from this list. Here's a good read:
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

Notably this quote:

"The aspects of metabolism discussed in this section are diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT – also called the thermic effect of food), resting metabolic rate, and protein metabolism. As for DIT, differences between varying meal distributions across several studies are negligible. The same lack of difference was also seen in several studies, including tightly controlled designs involving metabolic chambers to measure resting metabolic rate and total energy expenditure. These data further serve to invalidate the dying cliché of stoking the metabolic fire with frequent small feedings."

In conclusion: Do what works best for you. Strictly from a metabolic standpoint when looking only at expenditure (<-- please note the bold), it's not going to matter how you partition your calories"

Taken from: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency?hl=compliation+meal+frequency
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    ^kick$$ post, usmcmp. (don't want to quote the whole thing) awesome.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ok, so your theory on this is complete BS.

That being said, I am a member of the Weight Control Registry, and out of people that have lost and then successfully maintained a significant weight loss, the VAST majority of them eat breakfast.

SO, there is a positive link between being successful and eating breakfast, but not for the reasons cited.

Jen

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com

Vast majority? I'm sure it's somewhere near 60%. A higher percentage of people involved in lethal car crashes had breakfast that day.

Skip breakfast - save lives.

Try 78%, Sparky.

Sorry yes, in your group, within your country (where 93% of the population have been brainwashed into believing breakfast is the most important meal of the day) it is 78%.

http://www.foodinsight.org/Resources/Detail.aspx?topic=2009_Food_Health_Survey_Consumer_Attitudes_toward_Food_Nutrition_and_Health
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

She's right, there have been a lot of these studies here and overwhelmingly the kids perform better when they've eaten - behave better too. If I had a child I'd make sure they had breakfast every morning.

THAT SAID - I don't eat breakfast, ever ;) I'm not hungry till lunchtime, and I'm not going to force feed myself and waste calories I could be enjoying later.

What are they feeding the kids in the UK for breakfast? Very curious. I just know kids are extremely hyper in the morning and hard to get their attention. Probably because of all of the sugar they consumed for breakfast. After lunch, it's like a completely different group of kids.

I don't know what they fed them in the study - but normal breakfast here tends to be toast, cereal or eggs. I don't eat breakfast as an adult but as a kid I had boiled egg with toast soldiers, or Weetabix, or Ready Brek (don't think you have that, it's a kind of oatmeal, but smoother).