How to stay full at 1200 calories

Options
I'm just starting with the plan, and I'd like tips on what to eat to stay under 1200 calories a day and still feel full. I will try to add in exercise every day to gain some calories back, but I'm sure there will be days I can't exercise.

Replies

• GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not really the answer you are looking for but I dont. I always go by the rule of thumb of eat when hungry, I tend to live on aroung 1400 - 1500 cals a day and I'm dropping weight at a rate of 1 pound a week but I don't have loads to lose and I train hard.

What I'm trying to say is as long as what you are eating isn't junk listen to your body and don't starve yourself :)
  • nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I snack on nuts, seeds and dried fruits. Make sure i dont exceed 100 cals. I know this is bad - diet coke can keep you full. Drink loads of water. Weight watchers yogurt pots. I love Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt as an indulgent yet low cal desert option for that something sweet at night. Have loads of veg during meals. Hope this helps :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies, and water.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps you more full than most carbs. Whole grains are better as well.

So try something like a big bowl of oatmeal with almonds for breakfast, a snack of 1/2 cup greek yogurt, a lunch with some type of meat, a snack of nuts and berries, and a supper with more whole grains and meat. Throughout the day, make sure to be drinking water and something like celery can help with the "I want something in my mouth" feel and still be low cal.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    today I had a 300 calorie fried egg sandwich for breakfast (egg, toast, 60 calorie sliced cheese, small amount of low fat mayo) , a nectarine for a morning snack (80 calories). fajita chicken salad for lunch (300 calories with chicken breast, sauteed pepper/onions/mushrooms, lettuce, lowfat sour cream, lowfat cheese, salsa). Dinner will be grilled prawns, brown rice, and roasted cauliflower (280 calories). This still leaves me 240 calories for other snacks. I like cheese strings (60 calories) with a piece of fruit, or a piece of weight watchers bread with light shredded cheese melted on it (130 calories) .
    Also, I know lots of people will say this but drinks lots of water, I fill a jug and add one cut up lemon and have a glass beside me all day at work.
    Hope this helps!
  • gaboudreau
    gaboudreau Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find if I stick to "real" foods that are higher in protein, fiber and less carbs that I do much better on my 1200 calories. All the fast food and snacky foods use up too many calories and it takes more of them to satisfy me so I avoid them and try to cook and fix my own foods -check out skinnytaste.com..they have tons of great recipes and idea that cut tons of calories. I love that site.
  • missalicia604
    Options
    water helps, but I am notoriously bad for drinking water during the day :-( While at work I have filled my drawer with boxes of 100 cal snacks like smartfood popcorn, almonds, etc. I also have fibre one bars. This way I have stuff at work so my kids don't eat it all on me :-)

When I eat my meals and I don't feel full I have a glass of water and and tell myself to wait 20 mins before I entertain eating anything else. Let's face it, the food hasn't even hit our stomachs yet. By the time 20 minutes passes, I'm usually full and not needing/wanting to eat.

Proteins, fibre, whole grains get you fuller and take longer to digest. Hope this helps! If it helps I have the same battle every day!
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options
    I had the same issue when I started. Honestly, I just got used to being hungry for part of the day and after a few weeks my body adjusted to my calorie intake and I am no longer hungry between meals, most of the time. If I do get hungry I chug a glass of water (a lot of the times the feeling of hunger is actually your body telling you that you need fluids) and if that doesnt work I have a bowl of cheerios or Kashi. I would definitely not recommend soda as a filler, it is very high in sodium and will not only dehydrate you but will cause you to retain water. Hope this helps!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You can look at my food diary if you'd like.

For me it's eating before I get too hungry. (small breakfast, snack, small lunch, snack, small dinner, snack)

Also, I get really hungry when I eat foods that spike my blood sugar like anything with processed sugar, white flour, white rice, potatos etc.
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1200 calories, but I find that if I'm hungry at night eating a huge salad of lettuce and veggies with a bit of low fat/cal dressing really does the trick. Good luck!
  • _granola
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 calories. You can, and you probably should.
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure of this, but I read & heard that eating food high in fiber makes you feel more stuffed with less calories
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Follow the principles of calorie density. Use your starches for fullness and satiety. Use your veggies and fruits as volume foods. Minimize oils, nuts and high calorie items. Try to get all of your calories from the first four groups listed below.

Fresh Veggies are around 100 cal/lb
    Fresh Fruits around 250-300 cal/lb
    Starchy Veggies/Intact Whole Grains around 450-500 cal/lb
    Legumes around 550-600 cal/lb
    Processed Grains (even if their Whole grain) around 1200-1500 cal/lb
    Nuts/Seeds around 2800 cal/lb
    Oils around 4000 cal/lb

Some days I can eat like this and fill up on less than 1000 calories.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry
    Eat 4-6 small meals
    Eat high fiber, high protein meals
    Snack on veggies
    Eat breakfast
    Exercise (boost metabolism and gives you calories to eat)

Not sure how much you have to lose, but 1200 should be your minimum.

I stay full all day and I am usually around 1300 easy.

PS....drink lots of water!! At least 10 glasses a day.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if you're snacking, protein is THE best at keeping you fullest longest.

if you're eating a meal, protein + good fat + low glycemic carbs (think whole grains and vegetables) is the winning combo.

also, stick with REAL FOODS. (stay away from processed snack foods and fake foods.) your hunger will be much more satisfied and so will your body.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info.
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I go with,

"You're not hungry. You're bored. Drink some water and learn the difference."

Muffin Top-Less has a cute little chart on Physical hunger versus emotional hunger:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/576068_388849334514865_1945249388_n.jpg
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Do you know your RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate)? You can get a quick calculation for it here:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/rmr-calculator.html

RMR is the minimum caloric requirement for the maintenance of your basic systems and your muscle mass. Eating below that is not a good idea.
  • mkkloos
    mkkloos Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry, but know that I should wait to eat, I chew gum. It distracts and satisfies.