Full/Half Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have no running background, but I decided that I wanted to do a half marathon so I went over and did a training plan on SmartCoach at runnersworld. I am doing week two of 23 (something like that) and I am just beginning to feel like I am finding my groove. My plan is to do a 10K in November and a half in January.

I could not imagine preparing for a full in the next four months (I tried), but a half whether in 8 weeks or 23 weeks seems much more reasonable. Just my opinion.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's not the greatest thing to use, but you could download the Runner's World Smart Coach app to give you somewhat of a training regimen. I'm currently using it to train for my 2nd full marathon
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 5th half marathon in December. I always say that if I can do it anyone can do it. If you have been doing some training and you have 8 more weeks to train I think you can do it. So much of it is mental. But I REALLY don't advise you to do a full with such little time. Stepping up from a half to a full is a totally different ballgame. Although mental is important I can only believe that it can get you so far in a full if you haven't trained.

I think if you really want to accomplish this you should enjoy it - so a half would be doable. (Well, at about mile 9 you might stop enjoying it but you will be so proud when they put the medal around your neck....It will all be worth it...)

Good Luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I dont think that its necessary to run a year before that. Even Higdon says if you can easily run 3 miles and your running 3-5 miles 3 times a week its good to start the 20 week novice program.

This is my opinion and here is my logic.

It takes quite a while to build strength in the connective tissues that are stressed while running. I think that starting a marathon training program prior to developing this strength is a good way to get injured. Not necessarily during the training (this is possible), but more so during the race itself. The reason being, you will be running a LOT longer in the race than you ever did in training. A novice program is going to top out at 18 or 20 miles. 26.2 is over 25% further than you will have ever run. If you are running a 10:00 mile, that means you are going to be running for a full hour longer than you ever have. Without the proper strength, this can lead to injury.

Another reason I suggest this is, I want the person that is running the marathon to have a good experience so they will continue to run in the future. Taking on a training program for the marathon without having the psychological base to support it has the potential to lead to an overall dislike of running. The training becomes a burden and the marathon becomes a check mark on the bucket list and the runner never laces them up again. I think this is a disservice to runners. The marathon can be an enjoyable experience as can the training, if one is mentally prepared for it. It doesn't have to be a grind.

That's my take on it.

^^^This^^^

I would be up to 20-25 miles per week before I'd even think of it. I've run multiple of each. No program, I just went and ran. I was a pretty seasoned 10K-5K racer before I signed up.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've run 25 marathons (still trying to figure out whether or not I like them...).

I agree with other voices of wisdoms that November is WAY too soon for a full. You can get ramped up for a decent half in that time. Take your time, build your mileage so you can enjoy your races, rather than death march hours on end out there.
  • talithasut
    talithasut Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! Based on what I'm hearing here and what I've read I think I won't try the full, I really want to avoid injury. I might try the half with some walking.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I dont think that its necessary to run a year before that. Even Higdon says if you can easily run 3 miles and your running 3-5 miles 3 times a week its good to start the 20 week novice program.

This is my opinion and here is my logic.

It takes quite a while to build strength in the connective tissues that are stressed while running. I think that starting a marathon training program prior to developing this strength is a good way to get injured. Not necessarily during the training (this is possible), but more so during the race itself. The reason being, you will be running a LOT longer in the race than you ever did in training. A novice program is going to top out at 18 or 20 miles. 26.2 is over 25% further than you will have ever run. If you are running a 10:00 mile, that means you are going to be running for a full hour longer than you ever have. Without the proper strength, this can lead to injury.

Another reason I suggest this is, I want the person that is running the marathon to have a good experience so they will continue to run in the future. Taking on a training program for the marathon without having the psychological base to support it has the potential to lead to an overall dislike of running. The training becomes a burden and the marathon becomes a check mark on the bucket list and the runner never laces them up again. I think this is a disservice to runners. The marathon can be an enjoyable experience as can the training, if one is mentally prepared for it. It doesn't have to be a grind.

That's my take on it.

Good logic and I see your point
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wise decison, 8 weeks is not renough time base on your weekly mileage. If you made it to the starting not injure, it would be very painful and miserable experience. Deat march would be an under statement. The long runs are the best part of a 16-24 week training program. I would be concern if your boy friend insisted that you run a full. That would be equilivant to telling him to run a 100 mile race in 8 weeks (if he does not have the base to do so.. I believe you could do the half and be fairly safe in doing so. Hoping for the best. Run girl Run!
  • talithasut
    talithasut Posts: 6 Member
    Options