What is the secret to your success?

Options

Replies

• AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight, using MFP, a couple of years ago now, and check in every now and then.

My success was thanks to tracking things on MFP, but really, MFP was just the "training wheels" that helped me to re-train myself, and my habits. Smaller portions, not eating at night, making activity a part of everyday life, and dropping the "all or nothing" attitude. It is a long road, and the weight doesn't come off over night. But for me, that used to mean just giving up. It is now a lifestyle, and I think that is the recurring theme of successful losers.

I read a study once that stuck with me... the people who fail on diets had one thing in common - the used the mentality of "I will start tomorrow" or "I will start Monday" and often engaged in "one last treat" or "one last big meal". The succesful losers (and these losers kept if off for at least 2 years in the study) had a mentality of, "I start right now".

I hope you find success in the new year!

Thanks for reminding me Amanda!! RIght now, this minute!!!

Hey Jeannie - hope you are well! Looks like you are maintaing well- love that muscle in your pic! The holidays have been an eating fest, but trying not to overdo it! I find once we've been down this journey, we know how hard it is to lose, so the cost-benefit of overeating becomes pretty clear!

Happy new year to you and everyone!
    Amanda
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I have no deadline on my weight loss. I am roughly 15 - 20 lbs from my goal weight. I'd LOVE to drop it all by tomorrow, I won't lie, but if it takes another year, I'm cool with that. Slow and steady. Patience. It's the biggest part of my long term weight loss goal. There will be set backs and there will be successes. It's a long road. The weight didn't come on over night, and the weight loss won't occur over night either.

Secondarily, I realized that no amount of exercise could negate the horrible foods I was eating. I realized portion control, calorie counting, was key to my weight loss. For various reasons, I stopped working out around June. I started gaining back the weight, and then due to other stressors, I lost the weight I'd gained back, getting back to where I was on my journey. Even though I was no longer working out, I have still been able to lose weight, thanks to calorie counting.

My motivation is looking back to where I use to be. At my highest, I was 240 lbs (5'4''). I couldn't breath after taking one flight of stairs. I couldn't keep up with my daughter when she was crawling. I was uncomfortable in my looks, in my clothes. I had high blood pressure, ulcer issues, asthma. I was taking 7 medications a day..... at 25 years old. I was miserable. Now, at 28 years old, I am free of those medical problems that plagued me (I have a rescue inhaler which rarely gets used, but no daily asthma meds). I can run around with my daughter. A week ago, I was able to play with my daughter in the snow, running up and down the hill we were sledding on without becoming short of breath or feeling taxed at the energy I was expending!! I am happy with my size and my clothes "fit right". I am so much happier and healthier, and plan to keep moving towards my goal... one small step at a time.

The secret to successful weight loss is committing to yourself. This is a long term goal, something that benefits you in so many various ways, while benefitting everyone else in your life. Make the commitment. Know there will be set backs, but take them in stride. Keep your eye on the goal. Anything is possible, so long as you decide you want it and nothing will stop you!!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The secret to successful weight loss is committing to yourself. This is a long term goal, something that benefits you in so many various ways, while benefitting everyone else in your life. Make the commitment. Know there will be set backs, but take them in stride. Keep your eye on the goal. Anything is possible, so long as you decide you want it and nothing will stop you!!

Wow, I really needed to hear that!! Thanks so much for sharing your story--to everyone else to. I am so grateful I found this site because all of you have kept me going even when I wanted to quit! Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • rachi20024
    rachi20024 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Staying within my calories. I constantly move like when I'm on the computer I'm in a rocking chair (better than just sitting) and rocking. When I clean I blast music and DANCE like a mad women hopefully no ones looking but my son. It also makes me feel good all day. I also dedicate 30 minutes of time 3x a weekto exercise like a walk or a dvd. Oh and pilates I:love: pilates. G-luck:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I wish I could blast my music when I clean but I tend to get my power hour in at about 2am and I don't think that my hubby whom gets up at 4 am would like that :laugh: I just got a treadmill so I'm hoping with this change I can go to bed earlier. He keeps hinting that I should start going to bed earlier. I think he just wants some. :laugh:
    Start going to bed earlier IT is still exercise you and hubby would benefit:laugh: Ohh and use headphones blasting music wouldn't wake him then.:happy:
  • debnu1
    Options
    I agree, you would both benefit from the exercise:laugh: I started going to bed earlier and getting up to exercise first thing in the morning, boy it feels good to do that! I felt better all day long. :bigsmile:
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have always been thin but for the first time in my life I was overweight-borderline obese- and didn't even care. Vanity is what motivated me in the past, but for the first time ever I was motivated by health. I read an article in Prevention magazine about a dr. who had brain cancer and did research on how foods can help heal our bodies. He listed cancer fighting foods and what they did to fuel our bodies. I decided that I was going to slowly change what I was eating so that I could make a lifestyle change and feed my body healthy foods. I started losing weight and feeling healthier than I had in a long time. The more weight I lost the more I was motivated to keep eating healthy.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Over the past year and a half this is what I've found...

Exercise - doesn't matter what time of day - just move....don't tell me you can't run - walk....don't tell me you don't have time when you can sit and watch a 30 minute citcom or hour drama on TV---if nothing else-do SOMETHING during the commercials - run up your stairs a few times, do crunches, jog in place--just get moving.

I've found I do have bad food days....BUT if I've exercised the damage is minimal...Ialso don't beat myself up over a bad choice...move on!

I always ask myself if something is truly worth it....like is this piece of kentucky derby pie worth an extra 45 minutes of running????? What's more important that goal I have or 5 minutes of chewing chocolate that will take 45 minutes to work off.....when you look at it in that perspective, kinda makes the choice easy....and if you really want to work for it!

I try to pre-plan my meals for the day so I can see what I have to eat for snacks. But on days I can't I take it one meal - one serving at a time-do I obsess about food (a friend told me I do) and I would say yes I do but obviously when I didn't what did that do for me?

I eat my exercise calories...when I didn't, I felt like crap....simply wasn't getting enough nutrition.

Set goals and let them be known....if I don't have a goal to reach I do not strive to work nearly as hard. I blog my goals, I post them on facebook, I post them on MFP - it keeps me accountable to do what I set out to do. Even with every workout I try to set a goal - burn 450 calories or run at 5.5 mph for X amount of time, run this distance....whatever - keeps me accountable to myself. Oh and when I run...I am so mean to myself it's like my second personality coming out - when I want to give up and I know I haven't gone the distance I set for myself..I start the smack talking....are you going to give up - why have you worked this hard to let 1 run beat you....you are stronger than this you pu$$y....yah - I really do insult myself (not out loud or people would REALLY think I've lost it). Point is - you need to be your own cheerleader....but by also setting goals publicly it's like you are letting someone else down in the process. Do remember to set your mini goals reasonably...I don't like set a goal to run 2 miles at 7mph--not happening.

As far as food goes, I do try to eat a variety of stuff but I am a creature of habit. It's hard for me to get my veggies in-I know it so I try to focus on being sure I have options at home so I'll eat them. LOG EVERYTHING! I still do.

DRINK WATER...it will help in so many ways...I am no nutritionist, just my experience....when I drink my water, I feel better, I eliminate better (#1 and #2), helps push fiber and soduim thru you....just do it....don't like it...well I didn't either but really let's be real there's no flavor why would you dislike it. It may not be the drink of choice - add lemons or something if you have to. I am addicted to hot water with lemon in the winter....sometimes with Stevia

Back to exercise.....when I've "DIETED" in years past (please note I no longer diet - I live it!) I didn't really exercise, kinda starved myself lost weight - looked ok but NOW I've lost more than ever and I am more tone then ever - I haven't weighed what I weigh now since I was like 19 and I didn't have the tone and form that I do know.

Don't ever beat yourself up - you HAVE TO MOVE FORWARD!!!!! Remind yourself of little accomplishments....I drank all my water today...this week I was under calories everyday or today I was under my calories...I said no to that pie - they are all victories and don't forget to recognize them. I actually have rewarded myself throughout the process....I've gotten a Heart Rate monitor, a weekend at the beach, new running shoes, an ipod shuffle.....all rewards for milestones.

ilike2moveit---I can relate to the cancer/obese issues....I was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago and had absolutely NO other risk factors except the possibility of the link with obesity.

I could probably go on for pages more...this will have to do for now.

So here's to our health everyone! :drinker:
  • debnu1
    Options
    I love the hot water and lemon idea, I was looking for something warm and comforting the other day--that would have done it! Thanks for sharing chrissy! BTW I would have read all your pages, bring it on! The more information the better IMHO!!:bigsmile:
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    secret to my success is knowledge.

-Research your body, log your numbers (calories, measurements, weight, body fat percentage, BMI, BMR, RHR, TDEE) and track all of them. Figure out what works for you and STICK TOO IT. No excuses!

-Learn about what good food is for you, and what bad food is.

-Know what is an acceptable goal for your situation.

-Don't expect too much too fast.

-Be HONEST with yourself.

-Make sure you're always pushing yourself at least a little. Never accept the status quo.

-Don't accept failures. If you have a bad day/week/month. Resolve yourself to change it and fix the issue.

-And most of all... FIGURE OUT what made you this way in the first place, and work towards fixing it.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i needed some encouragement today:flowerforyou:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

Oh and when I run...I am so mean to myself it's like my second personality coming out - when I want to give up and I know I haven't gone the distance I set for myself..I start the smack talking....are you going to give up - why have you worked this hard to let 1 run beat you....you are stronger than this you pu$$y....yah - I really do insult myself (not out loud or people would REALLY think I've lost it).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love this. I have a feeling I'll be calling myself a pu**y when I run from now own! But I'll probably do it out loud because my inhibitions tend to fly out the window when I'm uncomfortable. :laugh:

This is the most successful I've been in terms of weight loss/health gain. My success so far is due to KNOWLEDGE and persistence. Knowledge is so important when it comes to eating quality calories (which, as dumb as it sounds, is something I've never understood before) and understanding what's really happening with your body. Persistence is important when it comes to getting back on track immediately after making a bad decision or having a disappointing weigh-in. Also, probably the most important concept for me is knowing that giving up will never get me where I want to be in terms of my health/fitness level (and yes, appearance too). You don't need "motivation," you need "resolution" and "determination." Also, the support groups at MFP (in addition to all the other wonderful tools here) have helped me tremendously. :flowerforyou:
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    OMG ! ::AJCM:: Your totally right on that study. For the past 4 or 5 years I have been saying to myself, family and friends over and over again. I'll start Monday, I'll start Monday. Monday comes I'd start and then by Wednesday or Thursday I'd start to fail. Then I again would say I'll start again on MONDAY. It was an evil continuous cycle. I noticed that route was failing for years. So I tried harder and say I'll start the first of the month and by the second week or so I'd start to fail again and then the next month would come same thing. That lasted like 15 or so months. Sometimes I would say I'll start tomorrow let me pig out today. By the time I was actually ready no one had the energy to help me or congratulate me if I start to see progress. This weight loss journey is only up to me. No one can ream the benefits but me. No one knows how my body will feel when I lose the weight. My only secret is believing in myself and knowledge to suceed. Without the two I think I will be hopeless. I lost 4 lbs already before MFP and the funny thing is I don't even remember the exact day I started all I did was right the number on a piece of paper with no date just my age. :happy:

That is spooky how similar that is to my situation. I do that exact same thing. "I'll start on the first, I'll start on Sunday." And then something would not go perfect and I would just give up. I don't want to do that anymore!
  • debnu1
    Options

-Research your body, log your numbers (calories, measurements, weight, body fat percentage, BMI, BMR, RHR, TDEE) and track all of them. Figure out what works for you and STICK TOO IT. No excuses!

-Make sure you're always pushing yourself at least a little. Never accept the status quo.

-Don't accept failures. If you have a bad day/week/month. Resolve yourself to change it and fix the issue.

-And most of all... FIGURE OUT what made you this way in the first place, and work towards fixing it.

Banks, what is the RHR and TDEE?? I don't remember ever hearing about them.

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

isnt that what you do when someone tickles you?

oh wait that is LOL and teehee :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Bumped an informative thread. have a great day!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If I may step in for Banks,

RHR= resting heart rate. It gets lower when you are more cardio-vascularly fit.
    TDEE=total daily energy expenditure, AKA "maintenance calories" (note: this is NOT the same as BMR)

HTH.
  • debnu1
    Options
    So how do you figure out the TDEE?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So how do you figure out the TDEE?

easy enough. go here:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator

there's a little margin for error with these (mostly due to activity level and your genetics) but this should get you to within about 100 calories of accurate. To get any more accurate you would have to go to a lab that offers a metabolic test.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It is all about being honest. Stop lying to yourself. I lied to myself and others all the time, getting real works.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!