No eating after 7pm?

Options
13»

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I never eat after 5:30-6ish at the latest, my philosophy is that when we sleep metabolism slows down and body naturally more focused on mending than digesting. In the past I did notice that I lost weight faster when i had a cut off time, if I am absolutely starving after last meal I will grab a handful of nuts and call it good, high in protein, harder to digest so it sustains me longer.

With respect that philosophy isn't correct, you're metabolism doesn't slow down during sleep, just as it doesn't speed up during exercise

You are almost certain to lose weight faster by having a cut off time for eating, as you will almost certainly be consuming less calories that way
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If that's what works for you then fine, but there's n real reason for it. DH and I argue about this about as often as we argue about eating breakfast . . . it doesn't matter when you eat, all that matters is that you eat. I start eating 2 - 3 hours after I wake up (mostly because I can't exercise on a full stomach), I wake up at 430, go to the gym, and have my first meal at 730 or 8. I then eat pretty constantly from that point until my head hits the pillow at 10. It's never mattered when I ate, just how thoughtful I was about my consumption.
  • thale829
    Options
    I have been doing the no eating after 7 PM and I wake up feeling pretty okay. The trick for me is that I HAVE to have SOMETHING to drink nearby or I will do the typical bored munching. If I have water near, then I know to remind myself that I am not eating and not really hungry.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If that's what works for you then fine, but there's n real reason for it. DH and I argue about this about as often as we argue about eating breakfast . . . it doesn't matter when you eat, all that matters is that you eat. I start eating 2 - 3 hours after I wake up (mostly because I can't exercise on a full stomach), I wake up at 430, go to the gym, and have my first meal at 730 or 8. I then eat pretty constantly from that point until my head hits the pillow at 10. It's never mattered when I ate, just how thoughtful I was about my consumption.

I don't think anyone can argue with your results!

Some people have issues with binging in the evenings, so in that case it does make sense to have a cutoff time to avoid overeating. But otherwise, no, it really doesn't matter.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat earlier in the day, but I have very few hard and fast rules about dieting. Time isn't an issue for me in terms of weight loss. Eating earlier is better to help prevent acid reflux, but weight, not so much

The body doesn't know 'time' like the mind does. End every 24 hour period at a deficit and you will still lose.
  • mrsc86
    mrsc86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have to eat after 7pm else I'd never be able to have dinner! I leave for work at 7am and back at 7pm, then work-out, then have dinner at around 9
  • jennifleurb
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Body doesn't know or care what time it is when you eat.

Surely it must make some difference if you have a big meal and go to sleep directly afterwards? My thinking is that I rarely exercise after my evening meal and sometimes eat very late so I don't burn any calories before bed. If this doesn't have any adverse affect, fair enough. Just interested in others opinions.

People in Spain and Italy do it all the time. They often don't eat dinner until 9 or 10 pm and go to sleep not too long after (at least during the work week).
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and that almost always means I eat after 7 PM and in turn I regularly eat within 3 hours of bedtime. I eat in the neighbourhood of 200-600 calories, depending on the day. I've done this the entire time I've been on MFP from pound one lost. I hate going to sleep hungry and I generally sleep poorly if I do. The main thing I care about on a daily/weekly basis is calories in and calories out and trying to eat a reasonable amount of protein. If at the end of the week I have a calorie deficit I'll have lost weight, it doesn't matter how much I ate after 7 PM.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I eat something about 20 minutes before I go to bed, if I don't, I wake up at 3am and I have to eat something while I'm half asleep! I've lost all this weight since Janurary by doing that so it obviously has nothing to do with not eating after 7.

Also it's not 7pm? It's 7:12 and 15 seconds!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Body doesn't know or care what time it is when you eat.

Surely it must make some difference if you have a big meal and go to sleep directly afterwards? My thinking is that I rarely exercise after my evening meal and sometimes eat very late so I don't burn any calories before bed. If this doesn't have any adverse affect, fair enough. Just interested in others opinions.

If you have acid reflux, it matters. If you don't, it doesn't.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Yea, when I started getting into shape again for real, I decided to not eat after 8pm. I could tell a big difference, mostly because I saw faster results than before. I ate more breakfast (eggs, fruit) and had a lighter dinner before 8pm. It's helped me greatly. Now, I do it all the time. Good Luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Personal preference entirely.

Anyone worried about night-time fat gain from eating late is completely neglecting the fact that you're continually balancing periods of fat storage with periods of fat oxidation. What matters is the overall balance between fat storage and fat oxidation. Your goal is simply for oxidation to exceed storage and by eating in a calorie deficit you're accomplishing this.

If you eat your calories at night you are increasing storage and decreasing oxidation at night, but you're INCREASING oxidation and DECREASING storage during the day because you're consuming less during the day. In the end, it still boils down to energy balance.

You HAVE to look at the big picture.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Personal preference entirely.

Anyone worried about night-time fat gain from eating late is completely neglecting the fact that you're continually balancing periods of fat storage with periods of fat oxidation. What matters is the overall balance between fat storage and fat oxidation. Your goal is simply for oxidation to exceed storage and by eating in a calorie deficit you're accomplishing this.

If you eat your calories at night you are increasing storage and decreasing oxidation at night, but you're INCREASING oxidation and DECREASING storage during the day because you're consuming less during the day. In the end, it still boils down to energy balance.

You HAVE to look at the big picture.

^^^^^
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    I find when I make rules like this it always makes me think about food MORE at those times.
    Id rather set my goals. like getting over 100g of protein, and go for that...it really doesnt matter when you eat.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I eat when hungry. And I get home from work around midnight or later. good thing calories can't tell time.