How to Drink Less Sugar?

Options
13»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Agreed. Get your protein from eggs and meats and get your calcium from green veggies and vitamin d by going outside!

Protein shakes are really high Carb and too low on the essential vitamins your body needs (man made vitamins are not ideal, your body needs real vitamins from real food).

What the hell kind of protein powder are you using that is high carb? Mine has 3g.

As for the rest of your anti dairy and grain agenda, good luck with your food alarmism.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/qa-with-nutrition-expert-alan-aragon-milk.html

^ A good read. If you don't know who Alan Aragon is, that's your first problem.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Get him to watch "sugar: the bitter truth" - it's on youtube. Should open his eyes a bit ;)

I've tried this many members of my family. They now take zero sugar in their beverages.
    The key is gradual change.
    If they say for example take 3-4 teaspoons of sugar in their drinks, give em 3 and a half and not tell them. they will not notice the difference!

After a while, take it down to 3...then 2 1/2, then 2...1 1/2 then 1. etc

Hope that helps.

Thank you! most of that was common sense for me but nice to know I was on the right track when I cut out everything but water (coffee) and milk in my diet ;)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Actually read the post and I have this as an answer YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER ANYONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF. While you would love your husband to be healthy, he clearly does not have the same intentions and has no desire to take on your requests. Each time you tell him what to do, you are contributing to the "nag-o-meter" and you will be labeled the naggy wife.

All I can suggest is guide the horse but don't expect it to drink. When he is in the hospital for some health issue that could have been prevented, you pull a short and quick "told you so" and maybe (just maybe) he'll start to respect you and listen to you.

I am having the same problem with my wife who prefers Taco Bell, Wine, and Fine Dining to home cooked meals that keeps the pounds off her. But at the end of the day, I am no more in control of her than you are of your husband; they are their own people and can *kitten* up their lives any way they want to.

The only post of his I agree with.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Actually read the post and I have this as an answer YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER ANYONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF. While you would love your husband to be healthy, he clearly does not have the same intentions and has no desire to take on your requests. Each time you tell him what to do, you are contributing to the "nag-o-meter" and you will be labeled the naggy wife.

All I can suggest is guide the horse but don't expect it to drink. When he is in the hospital for some health issue that could have been prevented, you pull a short and quick "told you so" and maybe (just maybe) he'll start to respect you and listen to you.

I am having the same problem with my wife who prefers Taco Bell, Wine, and Fine Dining to home cooked meals that keeps the pounds off her. But at the end of the day, I am no more in control of her than you are of your husband; they are their own people and can *kitten* up thueir lives any way they want to.

The only post of his I agree with.

I am not a complete idiot. I have 10% smart some where.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Protein shakes are really high Carb and too low on the essential vitamins your body needs (man made vitamins are not ideal, your body needs real vitamins from real food).

Protein shakes are not high carb. Protein shakes with added carbs are high carb. A normal protein shake has less than 2-3grams of carbs per serving, a good quality isolate has no carbs whatsoever.

Protein powders are also not devoid of nutrients, the vitamins it contains are by-product of being a dairy product. They are not "man made".

Please do some research before posting.

I am sorry I was wrong. Honestly, because of my dairy issues, I haven't looked into protein powder because the only one I can have is egg whites.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Agreed. Get your protein from eggs and meats and get your calcium from green veggies and vitamin d by going outside!

What the hell kind of protein powder are you using that is high carb? Mine has 3g.
    As for the rest of your anti dairy and grain agenda, good luck with your food alarmism.

I am sorry. I will read your propaganda and appologize for being ignorant.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    From experience, I can say there is NOTHING you can do to change his eating and/or drinking behaviors. You can't expect him to change just because you are making changes. Maybe one day he will want to change because he sees how much your health has improved, but all you can do is worry about yourself and maybe give him friendly advice every so often. I apologize for being blunt, but he is his own person and has to make his own decisions about his health.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Umm Joined Jul 2012
    number of friends on FL=1

A newbie with a lot of posts picking fights. You admitted you didn't even read the post at first. Sheesh.

And we continue to banter with this guy??
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Umm Joined Jul 2012
    number of friends on FL=1

A newbie with a lot of posts picking fights. You admitted you didn't even read the post at first. Sheesh.

And we continue to banter with this guy??

:(

I'll go away.
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody. No, I know he is his own person and can make his own decisions. But I do most of the shopping (and cooking) so if I can find some healthier alternatives for him that he likes well enough, then why not. And if he starts to feel better in himself, then that might be a motivation in itself for him to take it further. And if not, no harm done right?

I am not a nagging wife (learnt the hard way a long time ago that it doesnt work lol), but he is very easing going and I think finds it kind of cute when I fuss and worry over him :wink:

I didn't realise Stevia was a natural additive! I thought it was the same as all the other sugar substitutes, which he won't drink because of the chemicals. I think I have seen it in the shops here so will have a look tomorrow, might be a good option combined with some other suggestions.

I dont mind if he keeps drinking soda and juice but I have just noticed lately that it has gotten excessive and its gotten me worried. Doesn't hurt to try, I caught him snacking on my dried dates tonight rather than his usual chips and chocolate, win! lol

Thanks again everyone!
  • ChrisHill29
    ChrisHill29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone else has suggested this. I hate water or used to anyway. What got me drinking water was a good sparkling water with ice and a piece of lemon. I love it. I still can't drink much still water though, I have to force myself to drink it. I will drink flavoured water now too.
    I hope this helps as it did me.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    "Hint" flavored waters are great, zero calories, and have no artificial ingredients.

Umm What?

Hint... it's a brand.

http://www.drinkhint.com/