Toning Tips-

Options
13»

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Lift Heavy! only 10 to 20 reps of a given lift using the max amount of weight you can.

20 reps is not considered heavy, if you can do that much you are lifting light which is for endurance, not strength or muscle retention.

I agree - 20 is light
    6-10 reps I reckon
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well for starters; "toning" doesn't exist. (its a myth sold to women by the fitness industry circa 1980)
    You can build the muscle or decrease the amount of fat stored in a fat cell (can't create a muscle cell or remove a fat cell outside of cosmetic surgery).

I'd suggest hitting the arms once or twice a weeek but as always with everyone who stands round in gyms constantly hoggin the squat rack to do bicep curls, try doing a heavy compound movement first, for stimulating the Biceps try the deadlift (not that much stimulation) the bent over row (not strictly a complex movement).

personally If I was going to do an arm routine I'd do it once a week after hitting 5x5 heavy sets of deadlifts and I'd do
    5x8 Ez bar curls (60%)
    5x8 hammer curls (60%)
    5x12 Reverse Curls
    3x12 forearm curl (light warm up weight [sitting on a bench, fore arms resting on knees, palm facing up, curl the weight down to your finger pads then curl back up)
    5x8 forearm curls (heavier weight)
    5x12 Single arm over head tricep press (warm up)
    5x8 double handed tricep press (heavier)
    5x8 Cable pull down
    5x5 close grip bench press
    5x5 military press (really light weight)
    Pull ups/dips 5:10 x3
    Lat raises 3x10
    Shoulder press 3x10

Thats what I'd do; if I trained arms. Not saying you should do it.

If your not eating a decent meal an hour/45 minutes before training I'd suggest getting a bcaa powder and having 5g before training.

I would never suggest that much volume, way too much if you were to do this all in one day. Or did you mean those exercises spread out throughout the week? even if that is the case there is no need for this amount of isolation exercises.
  • chubb666
    chubb666 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Its perfectly fine to do that much isolation exercises in one day a week; do it as many times as you want a week. Muscle stimulation varies from individual to individual, as does hypertrophy/sarcroplasma secreations.